Mao Asada plans to retire after Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada plans to retire after Sochi

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
She said something about her foot on japanese tv.....so the probability of an injury is high. Just look at Maos face after she finished the skate. People are so quick to write her off, but there was obviously something wrong with her at WTT.

PftJump

On the Ice
Is this assuming she wins, though? One of the top contenders, Carolina, will be 28 at Sochi. It's not totally unfathomable that Mao or Yuna might make it to Pyongyang. Then again, everyone peaks differently.

HEEEEY,
Pyongyang is Capital of North Korea.
It's Pyong-chang.
:p

PftJump

On the Ice
Mao looks so bad.
But not injury problem, I think, it's stamina or motivation.
Who doesn't?
This event schedule is so harsh.
April is the time to rest for skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can see D/W staying through 2016, when Worlds will be in the US. By then, C/B or another US team will be poised to take their place.

Mao looks so bad.
But not injury problem, I think, it's stamina or motivation.
Who doesn't?
This event schedule is so harsh.
April is the time to rest for skaters.

Oh, I hope she can recover in time to train for Sochi.

And to think of all the others who might retire next year...what a downer.

prettykeys

Medalist
I read the English translation, and it sounds as if she only means that she hopes/plans for Sochi to be the "grand finale" of her career, that is, her best and last.

Not necessarily just her last.

I hope she doesn't retire, good health allowing...I wouldn't put it quite like FlattFan did, but if she retired the level of beautiful skating would go down. We know Carolina is retiring and YuNa most likely as well.

vera01

Final Flight
I do hope at least one of the top skaters/dancers would stay after Sochi. Although I would enjoy seeing newer skaters making debut as a senior, they can't match the levels of Caro, Yuna, and Mao(or skaters/dancers like V/T, S/S, D/W, V/M) that soon.

The only thing is, would Japanese fed want both Kanako and Mao to retire?

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
Does Japan have any suitable replacements for when Mao, Kanako etc.. retire? Hopefully their ladies program won't be hit too hard when the top skaters do retire.

yude

Record Breaker
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130414-00000059-sph-spo

Mao admitted that it was so hard for her foot, body and breathing in the second half of the program but she didn't know why.
She plans to shorten off-time and start to prepare for the Olympic season.

In the article in the first post in this thread, her coaches says that they didn't know how Mao felt about retirement, and her former coach (Miss Yamada) says that Mao might change her mind because she loves skating.

I vote for Miss Yamada's opinion because Mao quoted "That's how I feel NOW". However, I will respect her final decision as one of her fans.

hurrah

Medalist
The next 'star' candidate would be Marin Honda, and she is 12-years-old now. Otherwise, there is just Yuzuru post-Sochi, but with his injuries and stamina problems, who knows how he will fare.

I know that Yuzuru has fans, though nothing like Daisuke's fan group, who follow him all over the world to watch competitions that he participates in, and although Yuzuru is a wonderful skater, I doubt that he will ever have the kind of popularity that Daisuke deservedly got. Daisuke has a kind of generosity of spirit that makes him really appealing, and I'm not even that much of a fan. Yuzuru is too egocentric for Japanese taste, I think.

Mao will always be a star in Japan even after she retires. She is beloved. She is the most popular figure skater in Japan to date. The only skater that may match or overtake her in popularity is Marin, but so much can happen to derail her from skating, as she is very young. Being a Mao fan, I look at Marin and all I see a very pretty and talented skater, which is how I initially regarded Mao. Mao won my heart, and I became her fan. I don't know that Marin ever will, because it wasn't because Mao was pretty and talented that I became her fan. Or at least, that was not enough. It was something else. I am so sad that Mao is leaving.

venlac

On the Ice
The next 'star' candidate would be Marin Honda, and she is 12-years-old now. Otherwise, there is just Yuzuru post-Sochi, but with his injuries and stamina problems, who knows how he will fare.

Yuna had stamina problems and with back injury until the 07-08 season. At that times, she earned high score in sp, but relatively didn't well in FS.
She was not out of the podium, but she had missed the several titles by a small margin.

it can develop, Brian Orser will make him overcome it.

hurrah

Medalist
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130414-00000059-sph-spo

Mao admitted that it was so hard for her foot, body and breathing in the second half of the program but she didn't know why.
She plans to shorten off-time and start to prepare for the Olympic season.

In the article in the first post in this thread, her coaches says that they didn't know how Mao felt about retirement, and her former coach (Miss Yamada) says that Mao might change her mind because she loves skating.

I vote for Miss Yamada's opinion because Mao quoted "That's how I feel NOW". However, I will respect her final decision as one of her fans.

Well, sure she said 'NOW', but I have never ever heard her speak about her retirement. Watching Mao throughout the years, she has never made idle remarks. She always says what she means and only of things that she is certain of. I saw her live at World Trophy, and I had never seen her like that before. Something was terribly wrong. Maybe it was the death of her mother and she no longer feels motivated. Maybe there is an injury that is not being spoken of. Maybe she's just ready to move on with her life. But I take her statement seriously. She is likely retiring.

yude

Record Breaker
I am a Yuzuru fan, but I agree with you about Japanese taste for popularity.
I am already worried of TV coverage after Daisuke and Mao retires...

hurrah

Medalist
Translation of interview Mao gave on 14th April:

- What are the reasons for deciding to retire after next season?
It was not about reasons as much as it was just gradually coming to feel this way after the beginning of this year. There was a moment when my feeling suddenly coalesced, and so I accepted it as such. I then decided that for the time being, I should do my best for one more year.

- Did you consult anyone around you?
I consulted my older sister and manager. I said that I would take part in next season with the intention to retire afterward. They said things like ‘That’s fine (the nuanced meaning is 'I understand how you feel and I support your decision')’ or ‘You decide what you want’.

- Have your feelings changed now that you have come out with your intention to retire after next season?
Knowing that there is not even one more year left, I feel I can work with my best motivation. I also wanted to share my feelings with those who support me. I would appreciate it if the fans who watch will support me with the same feeling, that it is only for one more season.

- Any comment regarding Sochi Olympics?
I want to work toward achieving my final and best performance at the Olympics. I also have to be careful to avoid injuries. I want to be able to show what I am capable of at not only the Olympics but at each one of my competitions.

- Plans after retiring?
I have only done skating until now, so I know I will have to think about what I will do afterward.

http://mainichi.jp/sports/news/20130414k0000e050152000c.html

:cry:

mary01

Final Flight
I'm really speechless and soo sad, I really didn't see this one coming. through i knew that Mao would retire at some point I didn't expect it to be soo soon, i really expected her to skate atleast for a few seasons more after Sochi, especially since she never before now spoke of retirement.

one thing is for sure figure skating will not be the same without her

NMURA

Medalist
Speaking of the next 'star' Marin Honda, a video at WTT gala is already uploaded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Az_XoRrYIk

I have expected Mao's retirement in 2014, but never thought she would reveal her intention at this point. Asada says that Sochi Olympics will be her shutaisei (literally, culmination of one's career). I hope she skates the final performances for the home crowds at worlds in Japan. It's up to her decision though.

I don't remember any novice B skaters were invited to galas of ISU competitions (including NHK trophy) before. Is the JSF launching the Marin promotion as early as now? Fuji TV is already doing that though.

Cherryy

On the Ice
Some say it's not a surprise but for me it sort of is. Mao always wanted the OGM and I thought she would follow what Michelle did which is wanting to participate in 3rd Olympics. She can still change her mind and skate after Sochi. She didn't have any serious injuries so far, the process of improving her technique will be soon done, I don't think it's impossible she will skate few years more, unless these are motivation issues.