2013 World Team Trophy Gala | Golden Skate

2013 World Team Trophy Gala

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The conversation about the Gala has already started in the Schedule thread, but I thought I would start a thread specifically for the gala, and perhaps some of the mods could move those messages in here.

Although the Gala was largely restricted to those teams that finished on the overall WTT podium (i.e. America, Canada and Japan), it was a very enjoyable gala.

Firstly, I say "largely" because Peng and Zhang performed (for coming 3rd in Pairs), and Denis Ten was also invited along to the gala, and did 2 routines. In the first half, he did his current gala routine - "Singing In the Rain", while in the second half, he did his "Per Te" gala routine from last season.

The American and Japanese teams both did a group performance, and to be honest, I don't really think they worked.

Mao did her "Mary Poppins" routine, and it was as impressive as it was the rest of the season. I just wish she could have put on a similar performance in the actual competition (and in the SP at Worlds...)

Ashley got her see-through dress out again, but this time she was doing a routine to "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics. To be honest, much as I like Annie Lennox, I don't really think it is a great song for a figure skating routine.

The second half started with a performance by local wee girl Kaori Sakamoto. Now, am I imagining things, or did we see her in a gala before? Because both the girl and her name were very familiar!

She was followed by a local wee fella called Sota Yamamoto. Now, I never thought I would see somebody doing a figure skating routine in an International Rescue uniform! (Suffice to say, he was skating to the "Thunderbirds" theme tune) But the biggest surprise was that it really worked as a routine! I thoroughly enjoyed it!!! :biggrin:

Before they came out on ice, the Reeds did a short speech to the crowd in Japanese. Well, Cathy did most of the speaking, with Chris getting a sentence in here and there! But, it was really cute when the pair of them spoke at the same time a couple of times. Their voices really complimented each other, and I couldn’t help wondering if they could sing, as they would be good at harmonising! ;) :biggrin:

Akiko was absolutely brilliant, and looked like she was really enjoying herself. After a mixed season, she is definitely back on form! I’m really going to miss her when she retires!

Daisuke Takahashi finished off the second half. And I really liked the way that the encore (his 2010/11 SP) was melded into the finale. The finale started with a skate-off between him and Denis Ten, and then the rest of the cast came in.

At the end of the finale, Daisuke gave a speech, and then the cast did their bows. But before they went on their lap of honour, they all collected baskets of stuff, and started throwing the contents into the audience during the lap of honour. I have no idea what was in the baskets (sweeties?), but it was a lovely touch.

Overall, it was an enjoyable gala, and a great way to finish a really enjoyable championships.

But I still would have preferred if Adelina was there as well (I’m biased as I absolutely LOVE her “Burlesque” gala routine). She did win the Short, after all… ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
WTT gala exhibition line-up

WTT gala exhibition line-up:

Re-posting from the Schedule thread in case the order of skaters, their music, and time hits (as planned) are helpful to anyone.

I've seen only a bit of the gala, but my two cents:
- I enjoyed the Team Japan group performance -- but not because the technical or artistic content made any lasting impression. It was simply a rare opportunity to see all the Japanese team members take the ice at once, happily skating together for their home crowd.
- Max Aaron's charm and star quality jumped [no pun intended ;)] off the screen at me. Great smile, showmanship, personality.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I don't think that the cast was about "Teams on the podium." It was still around individual results. Monko/Khalyavin was invited to skate in gala as 3rd place winners. But Khalyavin got some kind of infection and had a high fever, so the withdrew, the official site of RusFed reports: http://fsrussia.ru/news/563_kseniya-monko--kirill-halyavin-snyalis-s-pokazatelnyh-vystuplenij/

Monko came to K&C on a gala day buy she stayed there just for a while.

I agree that Sotnikova MUST be there. As well as Joubert. I don't care what place those two took. They are the most beautiful people in the event with great exhibitions. Sad that they were not there. :cry:

But Gala was really enjoyable, mostly.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think that the cast was about "Teams on the podium." It was still around individual results.

Both the results for each discipline and the result of the team competition as a whole determined who skated in the WTT gala. :yes:
The top three finishers in each discipline were included, plus all members of Team USA (as the winning team) and of Team Japan (as the host country's team). Some skaters met both criteria, of course.

Among the WTT gala pairs, for example, were both:
- Volosozhar/Trankov, who were the #1 pair
- the Americans Castelli/Shnapir, who placed fifth (out of five) in their discipline and were listed on the gala line-up as "pair winning team"

Similarly, Max Aaron and Jeremy Abbott of Team USA were listed on the gala line-up as "1st Men winning team" and "2nd Men winning team," respectively.

altuixde

On the Ice
I'd like to know what Daisuke said in his speech! And also what they were giving to the audience at the end. Personally, I think that the skaters should hand the stuff to the audience, and never throw it, so there's no chance of people fighting over the items. I almost got dragged over a row of seats when someone tried to pull a frisbee away from me at Skate America 2009.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it's officially done, dusted and sealed: I'm totally in love with Max Aaron. The smile on his face was brighter than the spotlight. He really looked like he was having a ball.

Although I still don't quite get the being-carried-onto-the-ice thing...

EDIT:

Just watched the US' group number. Very cute. Hands up everyone who was counting the number of awwwww moments between Max and Gracie....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd like to know what Daisuke said in his speech! And also what they were giving to the audience at the end. Personally, I think that the skaters should hand the stuff to the audience, and never throw it, so there's no chance of people fighting over the items. I almost got dragged over a row of seats when someone tried to pull a frisbee away from me at Skate America 2009.

The problem with that is that then only those sitting in the front get stuff, whereas if the skaters throw stuff, maybe some of the people sitting further back have a chance.

chloepoco

Medalist

In a nutshell, Daisuke thanked the audience; said it's the end of the 2012-13 season and all the skaters there, as well as skaters who weren't there, are looking forward to and aiming for Sochi.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Spent most of today humming "New York, New York" under my breath. Darn you, Team USA!