Volosozhar, Trankov prove peerless in 2012-13 | Golden Skate

Volosozhar, Trankov prove peerless in 2012-13

KKonas

Medalist
Icenetwork.com's Skaters of the Year prove once again it is anti-dance. It's reasoning for this choice over USA's Davis & White's 2nd world title, is that V/T had stronger competition at Europeans than did D/W at 4 Conts in eventually winning their 1st world title. Apparently Virtue & Moir are not tough enough competitors, according to icenetwork and winning against your toughest competitor in their hometown is also not sufficiently difficult enough to accomplish. Certainly V/T had a great season, but I fail to understand the convoluted thinking behind icenetwork's ultimate decision other than it again proves that it could care less about ice dance and America's greatest ice dance team and their accomplishments.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Idiotic to say the least. D&W didn't have one bad skate all season while V&T had some forgettable skates. Plus D&W had much tougher competition with a still in their prime V&M then V&T had with a fading S&S.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Icenetwork.com's Skaters of the Year prove once again it is anti-dance. It's reasoning for this choice over USA's Davis & White's 2nd world title, is that V/T had stronger competition at Europeans than did D/W at 4 Conts in eventually winning their 1st world title. Apparently Virtue & Moir are not tough enough competitors, according to icenetwork and winning against your toughest competitor in their hometown is also not sufficiently difficult enough to accomplish. Certainly V/T had a great season, but I fail to understand the convoluted thinking behind icenetwork's ultimate decision other than it again proves that it could care less about ice dance and America's greatest ice dance team and their accomplishments.

V/M were certainly tougher competitors to D/W than the rest of the field were at Worlds to V/T. V/T had some really shaky skates at the beginning of the season (and as the article mentions, came second to B/L in the GPF FS), whereas D/W dominated their competitors all season. That's not to take away from the season V/T had, but if that's the icenetwork's rationale, then that's ridiculous. D/W had one of the best SD's I've ever seen.

And exactly how did V/T have stronger competition at Euros than D/W did at 4CC? They won by 7 points over S/S and by 25 points over Berton/Hotarek. D/W won by 3 points over V/M and 27 points over C/B. Seems about the same to me.

It's also pretty lame that icenetwork touts their Worlds FS as the best ever FS since the inception of IJS... sure in terms of score, but come on, they had a fall (even if not on an element still a fall), and for that reason I'd totally put S/S's Worlds 2011 FS over theirs.

Interesting how Takahashi, who won the GPF - a first time for a Japanese man - doesn't even make the top 10. :confused: Although I guess his 4CC and Worlds skates probably negated that. Also interesting how Kim wasn't in the top 10 considering her comeback. I would have also had Kostner on there over Asada. I would have also included Duhamel/Radford with their 4CC win, and World bronze. Certainly over Pechalat/Bourzat.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

This. Times Infinity. It is disgraceful how D/W are ignored by their own country. Disgraceful.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
all this because of D/W are Americans or with their results ? V/M werent that hot to be that competitive
though I will give D/W the hot stabs for OGM , V/T also did great they progressed and peaked at WC

D/R rightfull rightfully is not on the list also P/B should not be on the list but C/B
there was one Fraud on the list though that isnt counted, why the left No. 5 empty ???? I didn't get it at all

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
all this because of D/W are Americans or with their results ? V/M werent that hot to be that competitive
though I will give D/W the hot stabs for OGM , V/T also did great they progressed and peaked at WC

D/R rightfull rightfully is not on the list also P/B should not be on the list but C/B
there was one Fraud on the list though that isnt counted, why the left No. 5 empty ???? I didn't get it at all

Chock/Bates?! Well, I certainly think D/R should be on the list over C/B... they had two GP silvers, a 4CC win, and a World bronze. In comparison, C/B had two GP bronzes, were 5th at 4CC, and 9th at Worlds.

This is determined by a mathematical formula (much like the IJS itself). It is not necessarily anyone's opinion, except the computer, about who had the best year.

Yuna Kim did not amass enough points because she didn't do the Grand Prix, for instance.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Okay, then they should present it as being a mathematical formula and not make comparisons about the margins of victory and trite variables like that. It almost de-legitimizes how well D/W actually were this season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Chock/Bates?! Well, I certainly think D/R should be on the list over C/B... they had two GP silvers, a 4CC win, and a World bronze. In comparison, C/B had two GP bronzes, were 5th at 4CC, and 9th at Worlds.

surely if the reason was progress C/B would come ahead
if it was just medals then D10 would be on the list, D/R aside from the inflated bronze, werent taht hot as you make out

D/R being more deplorable than S/P didnt help either.
though this list shouldn't matter much, when you have an empty 5th place, might as well give it to a cheater.

Okay, then they should present it as being a mathematical formula and not make comparisons about the margins of victory and trite variables like that. It almost de-legitimizes how well D/W actually were this season.

Here are the ratings scores on which this was based. (Click on Ladies, Pairs, etc.). For an explanation of what you have to do to win rating points, click on "complete summary."

Like the ISU rankings, these numbers don't mean much. But sports fans like them. (The only one that really means anything is golf -- they have the leading money-winner's list. :) )

http://web.icenetwork.com/rankings/index.jsp?disc=men&rnk=0

sky_fly said:
D/R being more deplorable than S/P didnt help either.

though this list shouldn't matter much, when you have an empty 5th place, might as well give it to a cheater.

Who are S/P? Sale and Pelletier?

As for fifth place, you know, i am as ready as the next guy for a good old skater defamation campaign. But do you think we could put this one on moratorium until the fall?

Last edited:
I would think the best one was Yuna's come back.

:rock: What Kim accomplished was utterly jaw-dropping.

Now if Plushenko can do the same next year... ;)

By the way, speaking of Chock and Bates, they are ranked number 15 in the world, behind such teams as Zhiganshina & Gazsi, Sinitsina & Zhiganshin, Coomes & Buckland, and Carron & Jones. (They're ahead of 16th place Zlobina & Sitnikov, though.)

gmyers

Record Breaker
V/t is a good choice. Or good result of a mathematical formula!! Lol!! They won everything! Their triple twist routinely got unanimous +3 in goe! Unanimous!!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
V&T dominated their events. They won by huge margins, especialy at Worlds. D&W were outstanding but did not dominate to the same extent. They won all their events but not by the huge margins V&T did. Yes V&M right now are probably tougher competition than S&S but one says a fading S&S, well one could argue V&M peaked in 2010 and 2012 and are fading to some extent now too. As well after D&W and V&M the dance field right now is severely lacking any depth, the gap between the top 2 and the rest is a chasm, whereas the pairs has 5 or 6 very good teams who apart from V&T's recent dominance are all capable of being on top.

I also agree that V&T's LP at Worlds was the best ever under COP. Yes they had a fall but it wasnt on an element and their huge and amazing elements with no weak element, and wonderful lines and polish put them over S&S from the 2011 Worlds, P&T from the 2010 Olympics, and any skate S&Z did under COP.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
V&T dominated their events. They won by huge margins, especialy at Worlds. D&W were outstanding but did not dominate to the same extent. They won all their events but not by the huge margins V&T did. Yes V&M right now are probably tougher competition than S&S but one says a fading S&S, well one could argue V&M peaked in 2010 and 2012 and are fading to some extent now too. As well after D&W and V&M the dance field right now is severely lacking any depth, the gap between the top 2 and the rest is a chasm, whereas the pairs has 5 or 6 very good teams who apart from V&T's recent dominance are all capable of being on top.

I also agree that V&T's LP at Worlds was the best ever under COP. Yes they had a fall but it wasnt on an element and their huge and amazing elements with no weak element, and wonderful lines and polish put them over S&S from the 2011 Worlds, P&T from the 2010 Olympics, and any skate S&Z did under COP.
Completely agree!

mousepotato

On the Ice
Maybe because d/w have been skating together for over 15 years and v/t have only been a pair for 3 years. I know v/t had great previous partnerships but they have gone straight to the top. It is still quite an accomplishment.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Here are the ratings scores on which this was based. (Click on Ladies, Pairs, etc.). For an explanation of what you have to do to win rating points, click on "complete summary."

Like the ISU rankings, these numbers don't mean much. But sports fans like them. (The only one that really means anything is golf -- they have the leading money-winner's list. :) )

http://web.icenetwork.com/rankings/index.jsp?disc=men&rnk=0
just basing on these numbers, Yu-Na is behind Leonova this season! :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Maybe because d/w have been skating together for over 15 years and v/t have only been a pair for 3 years. I know v/t had great previous partnerships but they have gone straight to the top. It is still quite an accomplishment.

It's a huge accomplishment to do that after 3 years together but both of them had also significant international experience, including top 10 results at Worlds and Olympics prior to teaming up, so it's not like they were starting from scratch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes...that's exactly what I said.......but it's not the same thing as being with the SAME partnership for over 15 years.

True. However chemistry in ice dance is far different than chemistry in pairs. You can get away with being a "newer" pair if you're both technically sound and have good experience. But for an ice dance team to place so high or win Worlds in just 3 years together - even if they have experience - is next to impossible.