American Idol 3 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol 3

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I felt SO sorry for these people, and I felt terribly guilty for laughing so hard. Honestly, I just cannot believe that so many people were that bad, although I do realize that they got that far just so there could be a TV show of bloopers and oddballs. Most of the students I had over the years were better than 99% of what they showed us. They just could not have all been that horrible!

Unfortunately, sometimes students that were, um, uh, not the most talented came to my classes--but I didn't have the luxury of being as mean as Simon. I had to keep a straight face--it was not always easy, bless their hearts!
:rolleye: :eek:

Okay, here's my theory on why the LA and New York auditions don't yield many decent singers. In both cities, there are so many opportunities for good and great singers to work already. One of the rules on AI is that you can't have had a record contract before. If you've got great chops in NY or LA chances are you've had some kind of contract, even if it's with a group. I think if you've got an agent, you're working and doing well, then sleeping on the sidewalk for three days to get on AI doesn't seem too appealing. Just my guess, since obviously there are thousands of knock-you-out voices in NY and LA.

Poor Mr. Hung! He so clearly loves music and was so sincere. Hopefully he'll make his mark in civil engineering or whatever his major was, and in the meantime, he'll get married, have kids, and pass on to them his love of music. He seemed like the kind of guy who would make a loving and fun husband and father. Plus he took Simon and Randy's criticism graciously.

The ones who get me every season are the people who sing in so many keys in one song it's mind boggling, yet they absolutely refuse to believe they're anything but the greatest singer who ever lived. Don't they tape themselves? Can't they hear what they sound like? I can understand an actor not getting that they can't act, or someone being unable to see that they can't really dance. But I just wonder, if you can hear how great a singer is, why can't you hear how bad you are if you tape yourself and play it back? I guess the human capacity for self-deception really is infinite.

Then there was the girl in San Francisco who did the closed-mouth version of "Doo Wah Diddy, Diddy Um, Diddy Ay" and had her own personal "Simon" to train her to be ready for his criticisms. It was her second time auditioning and since what she heard when they rejected her the first time was "Not what we're looking for" she seemed to focus all her changes on the outside. When security finally kicked her and her "Simon" out and her "Simon" told her to sing anyway, she had a pretty good voice. It seemed to me that she was trying so hard to be "what they wanted" that she couldn't be herself and just sing. I think if she had forgotten about the gimmicks and focused on her voice, she might have at least been invited to Hollywood.

BTW, considering how many people try to audition and don't get in, the ones who just get a pass, and the ones who get in front of R/P/S, I think we're talking about 10 to 15,000 people per city. If we only get two or three real howlers per city, that's a very small percentage. And ITA with my Twinnie that the producers throw a few guaranteed whackos in there just to make the "best of the worst" shows. I bet 98% of those who make it in front of RPS sing quite well in terms of singing on key and having decent tone. Obviously RPS are looking for some spark, something unique, some something that makes someone seem to have real potential. Of the 300-350 that go to Hollywood, they have to cut that down to 12. Maybe Mathman will do the math for us:) for I would guess that the final 12 represent less that 1/10th of 1% of the total number who try to audition.

Anyway, of the singers who were invited to go on, I liked the ones best who came in just as themselves and let their voices do the talking. Who can forget what Clay looked like in his audition? But neither can we forget how he sang.

BTW, Toni, do other Clay fans really give you a hard time for being psyched for AI3 and for agreeing with Simon a lot of times last season? That's terrible. It doesn't mean you don't love Clay any less.

The Crooner sticks out for me so far, but we haven't heard everybody. The things that always get me into AI is that you never know how people are going to develop--or not--and seeing somebody gradually transform from a complete unknown into a star before your eyes.
Rgirl

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well, speaking as another "die-hard" Clay fan, my anticipation of AI3 will in no way diminish my admiration for Clay's talent. I loved all the try-out shows thus far, and hooted and howled with the rest of the country. I was purely entertained, amazed, and awed. As for the gal who tried to sing "Dowadiddy", I'm sure Mandfred Mann and his group are cringing and stuffing their ears with cotton balls.............a really hard song to sing without some type of background beat............can't wait for next week!!! 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
heyang said:
What! - No comments about Mr Hung's Ricky Martin impression. OMG - he set the image of the Chinese immigrant back 60 years. I must admit that my cousins and I laughed, but partly out of horror. I'll give the guy kudos for trying, though and, at least, he wasn't desperate like Like-A-Virgin Keith.

"I have no professional training" :laugh: noooooooo kidding! ;)

I am, so far, in love with

John Stevens -- the crooner -- New York
Lauren Something -- Daddy's girl -- Atlanta
and
John Something -- Pen Salesman -- Hawaii

yup... the "talent" is very slim this year... so far... we'll see.....

still think Martha "Army Girl" should haven't gotten in... :(

BTW, Toni, do other Clay fans really give you a hard time for being psyched for AI3 and for agreeing with Simon a lot of times last season? That's terrible. It doesn't mean you don't love Clay any less.

it's not just that... last summer I was banned from just about every Clay board for a number of reasons

1. I like Simon, a lot.
2. I don't think Clay lost due to some freaky conspiracy, I think he lost on a technicality.
3. I don't say Ruben: sounds/acts/looks like crap.
4. I don't wish Ruben/Simon/Randy any harm.
5. I do not diss Ruben fans.
6. I bought Ruben's single(however his album will not be in my collection as there are way too many songs that just rub me wrong).
7. I was excited for AI3
8. I have big favorites for AI3
9. I don't think Clay is God.
10. I don't dream of having sex with Clay.
11. I didn't think the panties throwing was all that cool.
12. I keep reminding people that Clay may not actually agree with their sex-kitten plans for them with him.

I could go on and on... but yeah... I'm technically not a "Clay fan" from most "Clay Fans'" eyes :rolleye:

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
My all time favorite Simon critique so far -- was the other night when he was actually speechless!! ("Wh...... H...... [various attempts to form words]...... Never mind, just go!!") That was hysterical!!

I had to admire the nerve of that one guy to actually go up in front of Paula Abdul and sing "Straight Up" and sing it VERY BADLY no less. Now THAT is some nerve.

I have yet to see anybody who's grabbed me all that much. Tho that doesn't mean much at this point -- last time around, Kimberly Caldwell was so fantastic in her audition that if she'd had a CD I'd've run out and bought it, but she never did anything since the audition that was nearly that good. So I'll just have to wait and see.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:

I had to admire the nerve of that one guy to actually go up in front of Paula Abdul and sing "Straight Up" and sing it VERY BADLY no less. Now THAT is some nerve.

Simon was so funny "Stop. I never thought I'd say this but, *turns to Paula* I love your version!"

:laugh:

I had a lot of laughs over the auditioners they've shown so far!
"Pen salesman" reminded me a lot of Clay...no offense meant, but here's this sorta geeky looking guy that looks like he'd sing like a chipmunk and out comes this pretty darned good voice.

I'm looking forward to Monday's episode where they'll show a lot more of the people who are going on to Hollywood. We'll get a better idea of what kind of talent we'll be seeing in the weeks ahead.

Tonichelle, if I'd belonged to any Clay board, I'd have been bashed, too, because I agree with most of the things you listed that were reasons Clay fans didn't like you.;) (did I make sense with that?)

Toni,
If I hadn't seen similar things happen on figure skating boards (not GS), I'd think you were kidding. But I know you're not. How sad. You just want to be a fan of the guy and share your feelings with other fans and they bash you for not hating Ruben. What happens to people when being a fan truly means being fanatical?

You can gush about Clay here, Toni. We won't care if you don't think Clay is God. (Sadly, I know you're not making that up.)
Rgirl

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I can't wait to see the special AI episode this coming Monday, called "The Best of the Auditions". It should be great! :D

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tonichelle, if I'd belonged to any Clay board, I'd have been bashed, too, because I agree with most of the things you listed that were reasons Clay fans didn't like you. (did I make sense with that?)

makes perfect sense :)

Toni,
If I hadn't seen similar things happen on figure skating boards (not GS), I'd think you were kidding. But I know you're not. How sad. You just want to be a fan of the guy and share your feelings with other fans and they bash you for not hating Ruben. What happens to people when being a fan truly means being fanatical?

You can gush about Clay here, Toni. We won't care if you don't think Clay is God. (Sadly, I know you're not making that up.)
Rgirl

yeah but a lot of Clay Fanatics make skating fanatics look tame LOL

I've always wondered... if *I*'m not a fan of Clay because I don't hate Ruben.... then does Clay have to hate himself? I mean, he's good friends with Ruben! LOL

Tonichelle said:
I've always wondered... if *I*'m not a fan of Clay because I don't hate Ruben.... then does Clay have to hate himself? I mean, he's good friends with Ruben! LOL
Great catch-22 logic, Toni. Hit the fanatics who bash you with THAT one, lol.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:laugh: that's normally the one comment that gets me into trouble quickest LOL :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Oh boy, what a night.......some of my favorites are still in the running........this is so much like a soap opera.....I love it.....42

Pati

On the Ice
The red head 16 year old boy's voice really stands out in my mind.
And I was glad to see the 'little people' girl make it, hopefully she won't get bashed online (I hope I used the correct term). I was pleasantly surprised the girl with the attitude made it. I though her mouth had blown her chances, even though it seemed like she had a good voice. (she was the one who told Simon he must be gay,lol). And I also like the football dude. He has a nice voice I think.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
My favorite so far, by a huge margin (tho I didn't see Monday night) is Fantasia!! I think she's fantastic. (Tho occasionally a bit on the LOUD side :eek: ) No-one else really stands out in my mind, vocal-wise, so far.

That vile little blonde chick (this is as diplomatically as I can put it, I mean no offense by term 'chick") with the foul mouth who was going off about "American trailer trash", etc, etc -- Nice. What a real class act. If Daddy is going to make you his little Princess, he could at least teach you a little something about grace first.

I was a little annoyed that the woman who had the song about the gay ex-boyfriend didn't get in; she had a really nice voice, actually one of the better ones I've heard among this group.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Pati said:
The red head 16 year old boy's voice really stands out in my mind.

John Stevens... *sigh* I love him! :) :laugh:

That vile little blonde chick (this is as diplomatically as I can put it, I mean no offense by term 'chick") with the foul mouth who was going off about "American trailer trash", etc, etc -- Nice. What a real class act. If Daddy is going to make you his little Princess, he could at least teach you a little something about grace first.

The only reason she made it from the Auditions in Atlanta(or Houston pre-Paula getting sick) was because Simon and Paula both left after her little attitude deal... and Randy took over and said she could go through(to which Paula and Simon started getting all attitudish) I didn't like the blonde then, I don't like her now.

anywho, haven't watched last nights episode all the way yet... but I can't wait for tonight! :)

I LOVE AMERICAN IDOL

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
I missed the episode where Kiira (16 y.o. blonde brat) got through - but I was totally disgusted by her temper tantrum after getting booted - and really disturbed that her father (I'm assuming it was her father, anyway) stood next to her and let her say how the show would be "Trailer Trash Idol" without her, with a bemused little smile on his face. Clearly, this chick has not gotten any lessons on how to handle criticism, has not read the fable about sour grapes, and her parents don't have any problem with her using incredibly inappropriate pejoratives about other contestants on national television as a way of handling her disappointment. Yup, she's headed for greatness, that one... :rolleye:

I'm really glad John Stevens (Crooner Boy) got through. What a cutie Pie!! I'm also relieved that my crush Bree is still in it, although I think she'll get cut tonight. I don't think R/P/S would let her into the top 32 anyway, but it sounds like her trio situation is going to blow up in her face (she is being made to dance - which I think she just won't do - and she doesn't like the other girls in the group so she just left rehearsal). Sigh.

guinevere

jenny12

Rinkside
I'm glad the young Bing Crosby got through. I like a lot of those girls (don't know their names)-the first group of girls. I also like the football player. It will be interesting to see them perform by themselves next week.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
What a shock tonight........some of the people I really liked at the beginning got "booted"........I wish we could have heard more singing tonight.......most of the people they featured last week are gone already..........42

guinevere

Final Flight
Finally we will be on to the real competition!

Congratulations to Matt Rogers ("Football Guy"), John Stevens ("Cutie Pie"), John Peter Lewis ("Pen Salesman"), the Roman Brothers ("the Roman Brothers"), Amy ("Pinkie"), Fantaysia (no nickname needed!) and especially my beloved "Brooding Loner" BREEEEEEEEEE!!!

Lisa Wilson ("Bikini Girl") - why the heck are you still here?

George Huff ("Old Man") - why the heck aren't you?

Michael McKeown ("SHUT UP already!") - don't let the door hit you on the way out. Perhaps you could hook up with Kiira who got booted last night?

And finally, Skooter Girl ("Nicole") - you were lots of fun, and you did get a raw deal on the advice scenario. But you are more of a theatrical performer with a good voice than a great singer who knows how to perform. I hope you can parlay the extended coverage you got into some work, either in a show, or make your own - you're certainly creative enough! Good luck.

guinevere ("Way Too Involved In This Show")