Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brendan Kerry just showed that he is a very good chance to qualify for the Olympics!

Whatever Tammy Gambill did to Brendan's skating over the off season in LA has done him wonders- He has that snap in his jumps which are wonderful!!! AND THAT TRIPLE AXEL!!!

I also like that he is working on using his edges in his routine- this is evident in his Short Program. Makes it look alot smoother.

And the best thing is that the Australian team is still young and there is a tonne of room to grow!! Very promising

#Australiafortheteamevent :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Nebelhorn Fever is upon us now? Who do you predict is going to make it to the Olympics?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Qualifiers will be (alphabetical order):
Men: ISR, KOR, MON, PHI, POL, UKR with AUS, DEN nipping at heels.
Ladies: AUS, AUT, DEN, ESP, FIN, GEO
Pairs: BUL, GBR, JPN, UKR
Dance: AUS, CHN, EST, JPN, TUR and ESP makes it too, since I think the Lithuanian team will have an unsolveable citizenship problem.

Krislite

Medalist
Hate to say it, but it's possible no Korean girl (other than Yuna) might qualify for the Olympics. What happens to the other two spots in such a case? Do they just go away or do other countries get to have them?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Men's Event

Countries that are competing but have already qualified spots.
Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Japan, Russia Federation, United States

Podium Predictions

1. Nobunari Oda JPN
2. Jason Brown USA
3. Artur Dmitirev RUS

Is this Artur Dmitriev the son of THE Artur Dimitriev, pairs skater extraordinaire?!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Hate to say it, but it's possible no Korean girl (other than Yuna) might qualify for the Olympics. What happens to the other two spots in such a case? Do they just go away or do other countries get to have them?

From my understanding, since yuna won the ladies event at the 2013 worlds, Korea automatically won three quota spots for the ladies event at the olympics. These quota spots cant be taken away unless there are not enough ladies skaters from Korea to fill them.

They also lowered the minimum TCS score for the olympics to the equivalent standard of four continents/europeans.
Dont worry. Korea should be fine for the ladies event

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Men's Event

Countries that are competing but have already qualified spots.
Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Japan, Russia Federation, United States

Podium Predictions

1. Nobunari Oda JPN
2. Jason Brown USA
3. Artur Dmitirev RUS

Is this Artur Dmitriev the son of THE Artur Dimitriev, pairs skater extraordinaire?!

Yes, he is. Unfortunately Jr is reaching the end of his career which never really got to any great heights.

I may be biased but I think it may actually be a lot closer between Jason and Nobu than anyone is expecting.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Nebelhorn Fever is setting on us. Who are your predictions for
1. podium
2. wilcard spots

Moment

Final Flight

There are three Korean skaters other than Yuna who qualify for the Olys/4CCs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, he is. Unfortunately Jr is reaching the end of his career which never really got to any great heights.

I may be biased but I think it may actually be a lot closer between Jason and Nobu than anyone is expecting.

I actually predict Oda to blow Brown out of the water. Brown barely has consistent axels and Oda attempts quads and axels. Of course Brown is great to watch but the jumping ability discrepancy makes me think Oda will win easily.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I actually predict Oda to blow Brown out of the water. Brown barely has consistent axels and Oda attempts quads and axels. Of course Brown is great to watch but the jumping ability discrepancy makes me think Oda will win easily.

In writing what we do we both assume that both skaters will go 100%. But that almost never happens. Jason may miss the 3A, or go down on the quad (if attempted). He may not even attempt the quad. Nobu may miss some of his jumps, or he may mis-count again and Zayak. This is ice. It is slippery.

I did not say that I expected Jason to beat Nobu; short of Nobu splatting on every jump (heaven forbid) that would be a miracle. Jason is very talented but very young; Nobu is very talented and much more experienced. I merely think that it won't be as huge as some people think. Perhaps with the rider that, the margin could be closed up IF Jason goes clean.

Either way, I think this is very likely to be a nice cushy maiden Senior medal for Jason, which is a nice booster for him. What colour the medal is, is another matter. I haven't seen any results of Dmitriev's in a long time, but the last time I recall seeing him he wasn't skating well - I think he's been injured? Jason beat MCM quite comprehensively in their last match-up and I can't picture too many others in that field with the quality to match him, even as a first-year Senior.

But this is figure skating. Anything can happen and it usually does.

Anyhow, much as I love Jason, he is not my main focus at this event. All I want is to see Brooklee, Brendan, and Danielle and Greg qualify for the Olympics. I have confidence they can do it!

lcd

Match Penalty
The situation in ice dance is interesting, with the possibility that a team that has qualified may not be able to compete at the Olympics if a long-running citizenship issue is not resolved favorably for the skater in a timely manner. This certainly creates a dual uncertainty for the "possible" 6th spot qualifier coming out of this weekend's Nebelhorn competition

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
In writing what we do we both assume that both skaters will go 100%. But that almost never happens. Jason may miss the 3A, or go down on the quad (if attempted). He may not even attempt the quad. Nobu may miss some of his jumps, or he may mis-count again and Zayak. This is ice. It is slippery.

I did not say that I expected Jason to beat Nobu; short of Nobu splatting on every jump (heaven forbid) that would be a miracle. Jason is very talented but very young; Nobu is very talented and much more experienced. I merely think that it won't be as huge as some people think. Perhaps with the rider that, the margin could be closed up IF Jason goes clean.

It seems when both went clean in the SP Oda was well ahead. That being said, Brown was slower than usual which was probably detrimental to his PCS, which Oda easily beat him on. I'm glad both guys are in such great shape early on the season, although there's still the FS. Sometimes it's not really about who beats or whether it's close, but getting satisfaction in seeing clean skates all around... of which there were quite a few! :) Happy for Brendan too! Maybe a tad underscored, but certainly in position for the Olympic spot. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It seems when both went clean in the SP Oda was well ahead. That being said, Brown was slower than usual which was probably detrimental to his PCS, which Oda easily beat him on. I'm glad both guys are in such great shape early on the season, although there's still the FS. Sometimes it's not really about who beats or whether it's close, but getting satisfaction in seeing clean skates all around... of which there were quite a few! :) Happy for Brendan too! Maybe a tad underscored, but certainly in position for the Olympic spot. :)

FWIW, Jason's 36+ PCS is actually a little over two points higher than his PB in the short program (33.86): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_pb_00012123.htm

I did feel he was a bit cautious; he looked relieved that he managed to do a mostly clean program. I think this will bode well for him as he gets into the GP and the rest of the season.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Speculation over the pairs event is now over- Great Britain, Ukraine, Estonia and Israel have taken the four spots

Japan is First Alternate.

GF2445

Record Breaker
In the Ladies' event, the Olympic qualifiers are Australia, Georgia, Norway, Austria, Czech Republic & Brazil.

Lithuania is First Alternate.

GF2445

Record Breaker
In the Men's event, the olympic qualifiers are Israel, Romania, The Philippines, Australia, Ukraine and Italy

Poland is First Alternate.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In the Ladies' event, the Olympic qualifiers are Australia, Georgia, Norway, Austria, Czech Republic & Brazil.

Lithuania is First Alternate.

Melissa Bulanhagui @melbulanhagui has been letting off steam today via Twitter :eek::

@thatcatwoman I'm really hurt. My career is over and I hAtey frderat@

Good choice Philippines,

My federation blows #favoritism #isaywhatiwant #mature #dontcare

Ha I care #whatever

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow talk about burning bridges. :eek: Don't see skaters very often just let loose like that. It's almost refreshing to see some real emotion from a skater and not the same phony line.