Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Speculation: who will get the remaining Olympic spots?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's the right choice. MCM is the only Filipino who is a native to the country (born and raised), he is 16 so he is the future, has a 3axel, and the potential for more! There was speculation over at FSUniverse that it would not look good for the federation to have sent MCM to Nebelhorn and for him to win a spot only to give it away to a foreigner (Caluza).

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think it's the right choice. MCM is the only Filipino who is a native to the country (born and raised), he is 16 so he is the future, has a 3axel, and the potential for more! There was speculation over at FSUniverse that it would not look good for the federation to have sent MCM to Nebelhorn and for him to win a spot only to give it away to a foreigner (Caluza).

It would not be good but it also wouldn't be fair in a sense. He earned the spot, it should be his. I would not feel that way if Caluza was a FAR better skater than him but that isn't the reality.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
It would not be good but it also wouldn't be fair in a sense. He earned the spot, it should be his. I would not feel that way if Caluza was a FAR better skater than him but that isn't the reality.

Agree. Right now I think Caluza is the better artist, but Martinez isn't a slouch in that department and is more likely to be able to deliver the higher technical goods. And is the future around whom a Phils men's skating program might coalesce.

In the Ladies' event, the Olympic qualifiers are Australia, Georgia, Norway, Austria, Czech Republic & Brazil.

Lithuania is First Alternate.

Georgia: so does this mean that Gedevanishvili is possibly headed to Sochi? If so, terrific! I'm thrilled.

I'm so sorry to hear about Kiira Korpi, though. I love her skating, and it's sad that she has such a difficult injury.