State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 45 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wait, Gracie won an early season short program, and we're all panicking?

(Room for improvement aside, don't you think that's a bit extreme?)

Again, Gracie is not the first person to make drastic changes as the season goes on. So I'm not sure why there is this doom and gloom happening. Again the goal is to peak later. Repeat: SHE DOES NOT NEED TO PEAK NOW.

Really folks? She's in the middle of some major changes, had issues with her skate, and you all just want to [write] her off...let her settle back down after the last couple weeks and see what happens. Sheesh.

So yeah, all this...

This is how it always goes in early-season comps, especially now that fans can see them. Did people really expect to see great skating in September?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@courtneynhicks has been sending a zillion individual reply tweets to those who have congratulated her. A gracious winner. :)

@agneszawadzki
Well...back to the drawing board. Definitely far from what I can do. It all goes up from here
4:28 PM - 14 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/agneszawadzki/statuses/379023897657483265

Gracie Gold Verified account
‏@GraceEGold
Although it wasn't my best, I was proud of my fight. It will only go up from here. Thanks to all of my supports and haters  #SLC2013
5:16 PM - 14 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/GraceEGold/statuses/379035928183861248

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The way I see it, yeah, Gracie and Agnes skated pretty bad, but guess what, they can get away with it because they both had 2 GPs secured right off the bat and have over a month to prepare for those competitions. Samantha and Courtney had NO GP events starting out, Sam suddenly has 2 but she had to earn them (or at least the first spot at SA) by skating well at summer competitions, Courtney similarly needed to be skating well early because she was in the running for the host pick at SA as well and there was talk of her competing on the JGP again which starts in August instead of October. Sam and Courtney are in great form now because they needed to get into top competition shape early this season. Gracie and Agnes had nothing on the line, their GP events are secured and they both have 2, they got the TES minimums last season, and for them this competition is not that big of a deal. So they probably just weren't taking their training and run-throughs super seriously just yet, and now they saw what the result is and realize it's crunch time. This doesn't mean that they will show up on the GP and skate perfect programs, but I fully expect their performances and jumping displays to be much improved by the GP, because well, they both really want to make that Olympic team and know that in a country like the US, they are going to have to skate well at Nationals (and at least decently on the GP to strengthen rather than weaken a case for an Olympic spot if Nationals results are unexpected) to make that happen.

So is it early? Yes. At the same time, should they be concerned about how they skated here and how they need to step it up from here on in? Yes, and looking at their tweets, they know that and I bet they'll start training those programs really hard from here on in. I get that maybe it's a little hard for skaters like Courtney and Sam who are on the bubble with a chance to make the Olympic team, needing to skate well during the summer while also hoping to peak at Nationals in order to have a shot at the team, and I wouldn't blame them if they were irritated that Gracie and Agnes can kind of blow off this competition and not skate well without having to really worry about it or affect them, but that's how the sport works, Gracie and Agnes skated well last season and earned higher ISU SB scores which got them the 2 GPs in the first place.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
How can Agnes get away with anything? What did she do that deserve 2 spots?
A bronze at CoR is all you need for 2 GP assignments year after year?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
How can Agnes get away with anything? What did she do that deserve 2 spots?
A bronze at CoR is all you need for 2 GP assignments year after year?

Her ISU SB was considerably higher than Cesario and Hicks, she made the top 24 which got her one spot, the other two missed making that list, and then she had a higher WS due to competing in more senior ISU events (where you get more points - GPs and 4CCs). And she actually did do decently at both her GPs last season so I think it's fine she has 2 spots this season.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Gracie's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1zxmrO5Tk

Ok, this was definitely not as awful as everyone made it out to be. As a violinist, I love the piece so I don't mind the music, but they definitely used most of the fastest prelude (the third) presumably to highlight her speed and power. I actually think the first 30 sec of the first prelude would be a better opening for the program, and the second prelude is a lot slower and all lyrical, which would allow for nice contrast in the program. It seems like Gracie just can't win; use fast music and be accused of looking frantic and unpolished, or use more delicate music and be accused of faking or pretending to be something she's not. Sigh..

Anyway, I actually see lots of improvement in her presentation. The choreography is very intricate but fun at the same time, although she was probably concentrating too hard on getting it right and fitting everything in to enjoy herself. Once she gets more comfortable, I could see her having lots of fun with the program - it's jazzy and sassy just like her "All That Jazz" exhibition.

To me, skating is a form of dance. Music should be chosen to support this particular dance style, based on graceful gliding with occasional bursts of energy. You would not choose tap-dance music to dance a rhumba. Why would Gracie's team think that the music they chose is appropriated for skating?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
To me, skating is a form of dance. Music should be chosen to support this particular dance style, based on graceful gliding with occasional bursts of energy. You would not choose tap-dance music to dance a rhumba. Why would Gracie's team think that the music they chose is appropriated for skating?

Watching her SP I was left wondering how someone came across this piece of music and decided it would be well-suited for a figure skating program.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/14/60651560
It's official: Gracie is leaving Ouriashev, and going to Frank Carroll. Interesting that Carly will go too.

Figure skaters changing coaches in September of an Olympic season is unusual, but as Gold noted, it has been done before with success.

"It was pretty obvious the relationship just wasn't working and we needed a change," she said. "We had been in rough waters for a little bit, and the ups and downs started to be more drastic.

"September is better than October; it's better than November, it's better than December. I know that [Shizuka] Arakawa left her coach two months before the Olympics, and it worked out for her. It's hard to say when the ideal time is."

(Arakawa left Tatiana Tarasova's group in November 2005 to train with Nikoli Morozov. She won the 2006 Olympic gold medal a few months later.)

It didn't work for Michelle, Gracie. Also, Shizuka was a World champion before this--she'd already proved that she can put it down. And you can't start to put down Shizuka-like psychological attacks (Shizuka's 3-3-3s vs. Gracie's multiple jump combos) in practice and expect that everything else follows. You still gotta back that up in competition.

It's still September, but we can only hope that Frank keeps Gracie in check.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It didn't work for Michelle, Gracie. Also, Shizuka was a World champion before this--she'd already proved that she can put it down. And you can't start to put down Shizuka-like psychological attacks (Shizuka's 3-3-3s vs. Gracie's multiple jump combos) in practice and expect that everything else follows. You still gotta back that up in competition.

It's still September, but we can only hope that Frank keeps Gracie in check.
Gracie never said that she was going to coach herself like Michelle decided to do back in 2002. She's going to get another coach.

Icey

Record Breaker
No, it really was. One of the most nonsensical SP performances I've seen in a long time. She's just flailing away and the music makes it even worse because it's so screechy and the movements don't match up to any of it.

It is even more awful than everyone said. It looks like they are trying to cover up her short comings and they end up only emphasizing them. The judges won't be fooled.

Nigel

On the Ice
No, it really was. One of the most nonsensical SP performances I've seen in a long time. She's just flailing away and the music makes it even worse because it's so screechy and the movements don't match up to any of it.

I have to agree. Gold did not really connect with her SP music, and quite frankly, it is a difficult piece of music to draw the audience into the performance (even viewing it live, it just did not really work). I wonder if now after SLC, and she is moving to FC, they may rethink the SP music selection.

Overall...the SLC ladies event was lackluster, with the exception of Hicks, who came prepared. :)

Selene

On the Ice
The SP music is awful – screechy, repetitive, no build to a climax, etc. Both of her programs are terrible (the music cut and the choreography) and do nothing to emphasize her strong points as a skater. She should be skating to powerful music, not wearing a pink dress and flailing/flapping her arms to twinkling harps.

I was watching TSL this afternoon and they said Frank turned down working with Gracie several times, but Mitch Moyer from the USFSA kept calling him until he agreed to it. So, it doesn’t sound like he is all that enthusiastic about taking her on as a student. He’s got a lot of work to do in order to make her programs work.

And, according to that IceNetwork article, Gracie wants a coach to help her control her emotions. She needs to realize that SHE is the only one who can do that. Some people just do not have the temperament to be good competitors. She and Agnes are perfect examples. They can skate perfectly in practices, but they can’t handle the pressure of competition. Kim Yuna is so good not only because of her skill, but also her confidence and mental strength. Gracie doesn’t have those qualities. If you look at yesterday’s performance, you can see how falling on her double axel in her short program caused her to pop her axel, and how that mistake led to her other jump mistakes. She doesn’t have the mental strength or temperament of a good competitor (unlike Ashley, who is tough as nails.)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was watching TSL this afternoon and they said Frank turned down working with Gracie several times, but Mitch Moyer from the USFSA kept calling him until he agreed to it. So, it doesn’t sound like he is all that enthusiastic about taking her on as a student. He’s got a lot of work to do in order to make her programs work.

I can't imaging that Frank or Gracie are happy about that information leaking. But he does have a lot of work to do; she really does need two new programs, or at least a new SP.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The SP music is awful – screechy, repetitive, no build to a climax, etc. Both of her programs are terrible (the music cut and the choreography) and do nothing to emphasize her strong points as a skater. She should be skating to powerful music, not wearing a pink dress and flailing/flapping her arms to twinkling harps.

And, according to that IceNetwork article, Gracie wants a coach to help her control her emotions. She needs to realize that SHE is the only one who can do that. Some people just do not have the temperament to be good competitors. She and Agnes are perfect examples. They can skate perfectly in practices, but they can’t handle the pressure of competition. Kim Yuna is so good not only because of her skill, but also her confidence and mental strength. Gracie doesn’t have those qualities. If you look at yesterday’s performance, you can see how falling on her double axel in her short program caused her to pop her axel, and how that mistake led to her other jump mistakes. She doesn’t have the mental strength or temperament of a good competitor (unlike Ashley, who is tough as nails.)

Of course a coach cannot control one's nerves for him/her, but a coach can certain facilitate the environment for those positive changes to happen.

I read between the lines in her quote and I get the sense that her former coach was stressing her out. And that's extra time dealing with your coach is stressing you out or you have major personality conflict that is time taking away from optimal training.

And let's not adopt revisionist history on Ashley Wagner. Yes, she's tough and driven, but at one time that she was bombing SPs left and right that kept her from being a contender. She missed making the last Olympics because she did poorly in a short program. She also struggled with a perfectionist attitude ,just like Gracie, early in her career that it tough to get to the next level. It took Ashley years (and a big cross-county move to John Nicks) to rise up to her potential. It's a testament to Ashley's determination, that she was able to figure out what wasn't working and make the moves/decisions to be a contender.

Therefore, I disagree that "being a good competitor" is some sort of innate thing you have or you don't. You can learn to be a good competitor. I think in Gracie's case, she has to learn to let go and have confidence in her technique and ability. I also think she needs to let go and show more of herself in her performances and not be so obsessed over all the details. That is a tall order.

But i think Gracie wants it. She has said as much. However, it may be a long-term process for her. When you look at her past, even when she was in the lower-levels, the common thread was that she faulted because she wanted to live up to her own (or others) high expectations so badly. She didn't make Nationals in 2011 because of that (the growth spurt also made things worse). I remember her failure in Skate Canada last season is because she was in shock over all the media attention she was getting. And now, it could be a case that her coach was putting on his own exceptions on her so much, that she was starting to flounder.

I can sympathize with her, in a way. I know that in my career/work, sometimes i want to do something good SO BADLY that I tend to overthink things and make stupid mistakes. I think you are seeing that from Gracie in some of her poor performances.

So therefore, my hope in the coaching change, is that Frank provides the environment where Gracie can learn to relay on technique and ability, so she can let go and focus on the program. I'm not a huge fan of Evan, but one thing that worked well for him is that he was able to relay on muscle memory when he wasn't having a good competition; that's something Frank instilled, I believe. I also think Gracie has the same level of work ethic that Evan did, so I think Frank and her might be a good match.

SkateOn

Rinkside
I just have to wonder now with the coaching change, do you think there's enough time for Gracie to get 2 entirely new programs or is it too late? Maybe the LP can be reworked but the SP needs to go, what a disaster. I was embarrased for her. And did Marina choreograph that? Because, no...just, no. I cannot believe she would willingly want to skate to that awful screeching day in and day out.