State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season | Page 47 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2013-14 Season

Icey

Record Breaker
It is within the realm of possibility that the sequence of steps that you propose in fact already took place before Gold's departure from Alex O was announced to the public.
We have absolutely no way of knowing what already had and had not transpired.

That's is true. I was suggesting what to do if that hadn't been tried and I suspect it was tried. I doubt the Golds are unreasonable or unthinking people. Then, of course, I ask myself what the hell is wrong with Alex that he couldn't reign himself in?

sarahspins

Rinkside
I ask myself what the hell is wrong with Alex that he couldn't reign himself in?

Maybe nothing. It may be little more than a personality conflict that they both just can't move past. It happens, I've been at odds with my own coach at times (both when I was younger and now as an adult) and I'm definitely not a high level skater. It's very unfortunate timing for Gracie, but I don't think it would be fair for her to continue if the relationship just wasn't working any more either.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Everyone is waiting to hear about how the "trial run" is going with Frank and Gracie. Of course, according to TSL, the story is being twisted; they say the Frank/Gracie thing is a done deal even though nothing has been made official yet. Usually I'd take what they say with a grain of salt but considering they knew about the Frank/Gracie thing weeks before it made news, I'm thinking their source is mostly reliable. What has not been decided is whether Gracie is moving to LA or will go through with (the horrible idea of) bouncing back and forth b/w Canton and LA.

cinnamon

On the Ice

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
"Gold and Carroll had three working sessions last week, the coach said. One involved explaining his methods and his ideas on jump technique; one had a few jumps; and one focused on her short program music and choreography."

God bless this man for trying to do something with that awful short.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I'm very curious about the next step in Gracie'f future. Can hardly wait. But wouldn't it be great if she stuck it to all of us nosey internet people and didn't make an official announcement.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maybe "focusing on the short program music and choreography" means dumping it.

I was trying not to shamelessly copy and paste today's Hersh article in entirety, but ... will add a little more in response to MM's comment, FWIW:
Carroll said he had no idea whether he would become Gold’s full-time coach or, if he did, whether he would change some of her music.

I'm very curious about the next step in Gracie'f future. Can hardly wait. But wouldn't it be great if she stuck it to all of us nosey internet people and didn't make an official announcement.

At the very least, Gold will have to face the media at Skate Canada International, and the world will see who is sitting with her in the Kiss and Cry there.

Given that she has made public comments about her departure from Alex O, I think she has created the expectation that after her coaching arrangements are finalized, she will share an official update. True that the public cannot force her to do so (although I imagine that USFS could, if it wanted to).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Her public comments were made because Hersh broke the story in Chicago and there were questions from IN at SLC. Her comments were fairly innocuous about the whole thing. We'll see whether she announces anything publicly or whether she just appears with a new coach.

lcd

Match Penalty
All of this attention on her situation has probably played well into the hands of the other ladies, who can train and prepare in relative calm and peace. Hopefully Gracie will be able to find focus in her training leading up to her Grand Prixs, because once she shows up at Skate Canada, the glare will be unrelenting.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
All of this attention on her situation has probably played well into the hands of the other ladies, who can train and prepare in relative calm and peace. Hopefully Gracie will be able to find focus in her training leading up to her Grand Prixs, because once she shows up at Skate Canada, the glare will be unrelenting.

Agreed. If I were Ashley, Christina, Agnes, Mirai or anyone else, I'd be thanking my lucky stars right now. Sometimes it's better to fly under the radar. This is giving them time to get themselves together during this very stressful lead up to the Olympic GP season. Gracie OTOH is basically up in the air just a few weeks before the season begins. She's already under massive stress b/c of who she is (the so-called "Golden Girl") and what is expected of her. Now she has the added stress of finding a new coach, possibly moving to a new city or traveling back and forth all season, possibly reworking programs, bad results hanging over her head and constant speculation/criticism all in addition to being expected to skate well and make the Olympic team. She's under unimaginable pressure at this point...and it's only going to get worse...

This season is really going to show what kind of stuff she's made out of. If Gracie has a good season after all of this, I will truly have gained a new respect for her.

IleK

On the Ice

I was wondering when we will hear something about the others and stop talking on and on about Gracie. It's like there is no one else but her. I don't think she likes that either. I am waiting for Japan Open to see Ashley. Until now she proved to be wiser than Gracie in everything she did. Gracie did too much talking and her programs were very disappointing. I thought that this year she will challenge Ashley but now I expect to see Ashley challenging her with two good programs she worked a lot for.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner has had a lot of side commitments and appearances for sponsors, etc. And remember that she, too, is in a less than ideal coaching situation...We have no idea what shape she is in so I'm hesitant to make premature judgments at this point. My expectations are not sky high, however.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Wagner has had a lot of side commitments and appearances for sponsors, etc. And remember that she, too, is in a less than ideal coaching situation...We have no idea what shape she is in so I'm hesitant to make premature judgments at this point. My expectations are not sky high, however.

True. Ashley and Gracie are in a similar situation. The only difference is Ashley was able to change coaches/choreographers without all of the excessive hoopla surrounding the switch. She and John are still working together, just not full-time, and the decision to find a new coach was made on amicable terms. She found a credible choreographer for new programs and has been working on them for weeks now. Most importantly, she made the switch much earlier in the summer, before she'd gotten underway with preparing for this Olympic season. So the thought is Ashley has had a lot more time to adjust and settle into her new situation which is why I'm expecting her to be more prepared than Gracie will be.

With Gracie and Alex, it's obvious they split on less than happy terms. Officially, she still doesn't have a coach...it's looking like the preparations she began for this season (her programs) will have to be changed/tweaked...she may have to move...essentially, she'll have very little time to get settled before the season begins which means she's going to have to adjust "on the fly" so to speak, without ever having enough time to really breathe. I agree with Dave from TSL; missing the GPF might be a good idea for Gracie this year. That would lessen the stress after her 2nd GP b/c she wouldn't have to worry about training for the Final. She could take that extra time to get herself together for nationals which is where she needs to be at her best.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I know it happened a while ago, but I wouldn't say Wagner's coaching situation slipped completely under the radar. There was plenty of coverage after Worlds on what happened with her. People were criticizing her for doing too many shows. What we DIDN'T know (until her TSL interview) was how close she was to a mental breakdown at that point.

The only difference is that Wagner's situation happened earlier in the offseason, so like you pointed out, hopefully she's had time to adjust to her new schedule. She'll need to manage her time between that and her sponsor commitments. As for Gold, I'm sure things will work themselves out in the end - the question is, will this have any measurable effect on her in the short-term?

kwanatic

Record Breaker
I know it happened a while ago, but I wouldn't say Wagner's coaching situation slipped completely under the radar. There was plenty of coverage after Worlds on what happened with her. People were criticizing her for doing too many shows. What we DIDN'T know (until her TSL interview) was how close she was to a mental breakdown at that point.

The only difference is that Wagner's situation happened earlier in the offseason, so like you pointed out, hopefully she's had time to adjust to her new schedule. She'll need to manage her time between that and her sponsor commitments. As for Gold, I'm sure things will work themselves out in the end - the question is, will this have any measurable effect on her in the short-term?

That's the main issue. It looks like she'll end up with Frank and, in the long run, I think it will be good for her. But how much can they accomplish in the next few weeks? If Frank can calm Gracie's windmill arms, do something with that horrid SP, erase some of the stiffness from her movements, and help her nerve issues, I will have new found respect for that man b/c that will be nothing short of a miracle! Those are all things I expect to see in the next year or two, but if he can do it in a few weeks...wow.

IleK

On the Ice
Ashley did withdraw from THE ICE and that was a wise decision. She admitted that she has a lot to work for reaching her goal this season and I saw several picture with her at training. Also she did a good thing going to Rafael and changing her coreographer (this as we know wasn't on good terms). She had a much clear image of what she wants. I don' t really understand what Gracie wants. She said she is going to Zoueva for increasing the PCS and she really bought that?? I mean she could have said this isn't what I am looking for, it's worse than last year. If she doesn't see that, well that is a problem. Then, I think her coach was good for her, she should have waited one more year before leaving him. This was her first senior season that went pretty good, I don't think that Frank Carol can do miracles for the Olympics,maybe for the future seasons. But then, maybe she has somekind of plan we don't know of. I just hope this will not be a disastrous season after such a promising one.