Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized

I agree with Patrick that skaters should not be forced to compete if they don't want to.

What should happen in that case, where a country's top-rnaked skaters decline the invitation, is that that country's team should be replaced by another country whose top skaters do want to take part.

What would not be fair is for a country like Canada to qualify for the event on the strength of Chan, Virtue and Moir, Duhamel and Radford, etc., and then to send skaters that are worse than, say, Italy could field if they had the chance.

Icey

Record Breaker
If they did that (banned skaters), Chuckm, there would be such an uproar from the fans the ISU would have to cave in imo. In fact, in sympathy, fans might boycott the competitions. Reduced revenues would soon create financial havoc. Some broadcasters would lose interest in buying broadcasting rights under those circumstances. And the banned skaters could bring a class action suit against the ISU. I don't think there is any great desire to be put under the microscope of the world. And although it might be difficult, if there were enough banned skates they might organize their own competitions, such as the New World Figure Skating Championships.

I am not a fan of Chan's Skating, but I admire his having the courage to address this considering the possible repercussions. Long overdue. I hope it snowballs.

Anybody want to but a "Power to the Skaters" tee shirt?:laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
If they did that (banned skaters), Chuckm, there would be such an uproar from the fans the ISU would have to cave in imo. In fact, in sympathy, fans might boycott the competitions. Reduced revenues would soon create financial havoc. Some broadcasters would lose interest in buying broadcasting rights under those circumstances. And the banned skaters could bring a class action suit against the ISU. I don't think there is any great desire to be put under the microscope of the world. And although it might be difficult, if there were enough banned skates they might organize their own competitions, such as the New World Figure Skating Championships.

I am not a fan of Chan's Skating, but I admire his having the courage to address this considering the possible repercussions. Long overdue. I hope it snowballs.

Anybody want to but a "Power to the Skaters" tee shirt?:laugh:

ISU revenues are already reduced due to the decline of figure skating. At least in the US, skating doesn't get ratings the way it used to. Part of this is poor scheduling and part due to the lack of world medals from the US team. Skating shows and competitions don't fill venues - even the smaller ones. Not having championship quality skaters would likely kill the sport in the media, except for the Olympics. Skate fans already protest the quality of the material broadcast to no avail.

As far as US media is concerned, broadcasting of figure skating events is about where it was pre-1994 IMHO.

Honestly, I don't think a strike by contestants in amateur skating competitions would have much effect. Union or no union, the national federations would go on holding regionals, sectionals, and national championships for whoever wanted to participate. The winners would go on to Worlds and try to see who is the best. If a skater did not want to participate, that skater could stay home.

A professional skaters' union would make sense if there were still such a thing as professional skating. The cast of Stars on Ice could go to Scott Hamilton and demand a raise. Then Scott would have the choice of bargaining collectively with the crowd-drawing pros, or try to break the union by going with scabs. ;)

But Stars on Ice will be out of business next year anyway, so that discussion is moot.

A strike by garbage collectors -- OK, now you're talking about something. ;)

Last edited:

aims

Rinkside
Oh man...it's good to be honest, but really, you have to think of WORD CHOICES and the consequences of your remarks.
What he says makes sense from his and some other skaters' point of view, I'm sure, but maybe there could've been a better way to express himself??

But, no, an amateur skaters' union boycotting competitions, challenging scores and judges after competitions, eating up precious time when they should be practicing, not sitting in on meetings, etc etc....not for it. That should be the job of the respective skating federations of each country. If skaters are given the means to overpass their nations' skating feds, it'll be a chaotic mess. Instead, skaters should find ways of changing their relationships with their own feds, and challenging THEM to be better representatives of themselves.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
One thing is certain. Patrick is never boring on and off ice.:popcorn: That's the reason that Rosie Dimanno loves him and constantly goes to him for juicy stuff. She'll feel so bored and so do you all when Patrick retires.;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought the most awful thing about this interview was his total dismissal of Menshov. Like the injury would only have been a terrible thing if it happened to ME! Poor old Konstantin.

ladybug

On the Ice
Competitive ice skating is a sport, not a career. Skaters can unionize after they retire from competition. Skaters can get hurt in practice it doesn't have to be a paid competition. If a skaters' union starts challenging the scores, Patrick may not find himself in first place quite so often. A skaters' union must represent all skaters, not just a few.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I would be very dissapointed if Michelle or Plushy were saying Marshals was a stupid competition, because it is one of my fav yt videos. That said, I can understand Chan's frustration, he just phrases it wrong. I dont think Ciquanta will be upset much, Plushenko blew to his nose, got banned and came back all hugs and kisses with him, so I dont think ISU would be upset.
DiManno is an awful figure skating reporter or whatever, sorry she is provoking I dont care if she writes for a big newspaper, maybe in other themes she is great, a skater should not agree been interviewd from her, her other article was pretty bad too, people who hold blogs etc or write articles about skating are miles better, promoting the sport and giving info to fans,

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
karne said:
I thought the most awful thing about this interview was his total dismissal of Menshov. Like the injury would only have been a terrible thing if it happened to ME! Poor old Konstantin.

Yes, definitly. And this is also the point were you can see that Patrick is not really interested in froming a skating union - as in all skaters working together, which would have effects to non-WTT related stuff too. He could have said "look at Menshov, how that effects him before the Olympics. This could have happened to anyone". But no, he said "this could have happened to me!! I don't want to go to WTT!".
It's not like skaters gettig unionized was the main point of the article and WTT was an example, it's like he wanted to complain about WTT and the union was just a shortsighted way of getting what he wants.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh... my... sainted... Aunt! I just read the article - oh, why did I put it off for so long! Why?! Ah, he never fails to entertain. ;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

He did not say that "the injury would only have been a terrible thing if it happened to ME!" You are putting your words into his mouth.

It could very well be that he has meant well and truly felt symphathy to Menshov. We often hear people say, "It could be me!" which means that, "I completely understand and feel what you are suffering." "I can imagine how awful it is."

But of course, since it was coming from Patrick's mouth, whatelse it could be meaning?! It must be mean-spirited.;)

Patrick has certainly given Rosie DiManno the opportunities often to enable her using "cut and paste". Oh, well, it's off season, whatelse you'd do if she didn't supply you all the fun?!:popcorn:

LRK

Record Breaker
He did not say that "the injury would only have been a terrible thing if it happened to ME!" You are putting your words into his mouth.

It could very well be that he has meant well and truly felt symphathy to Menshov. We often hear people say, "It could be me!" which means that, "I completely understand and feel what you are suffering." "I can imagine how awful it is."

But of course, since it was coming from Patrick's mouth, whatelse it could be meaning?! It must be mean-spirited.;)

Patrick has certainly given Rosie DiManno the opportunities often to enable her using "cut and paste". Oh, well, it's off season, whatelse you'd do if she didn't supply you all the fun?!:popcorn:

Or it might have been the thing where he went on to say that he'd miss out on training for the upcoming Olympic year? But if you want to interpret it as "Oh, Konstantin, how I feel for you, I'm imagining myself in your place, and how awful it must be for you." - go right ahead. But you'll have to excuse the rest of us if we do not share your... reinterpretive powers.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
But you'll have to excuse the rest of us if we do not share your... reinterpretive powers.

Go ahead with whatever you want to interprete. I have simply pointed out the opposit way of interpreting the same words. And I believe my interpretation is much more closer than yours to what Patrick has truly meant.

But, as usual, no force from me to you at all. I'm sorry to spoil your bashing-fun fest!:biggrin:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Patrick would have said the same things if he had done better at WTT. One thing I like about the event is that it gives some skaters a chance for redemption--I'm thinking Akiko and Dai, and even Ashley--and lets the fans see their favorites skate a favorite program one more time. It was a chance for Patrick to show he could skate a clean long program and deserved to be WC. Instead he just raised more questions about the scoring system and the apparent favoritism he is shown by the judges.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I wonder if Patrick would have said the same things if he had done better at WTT. One thing I like about the event is that it gives some skaters a chance for redemption--I'm thinking Akiko and Dai, and even Ashley--and lets the fans see their favorites skate a favorite program one more time. It was a chance for Patrick to show he could skate a clean long program and deserved to be WC. Instead he just raised more questions about the scoring system and the apparent favoritism he is shown by the judges.

:thumbsup:

Just my opinion, but this is where I think the ISU is wrong in its treatment of skaters. Individual skaters are not members if the ISU, national federations are. The ISU has no authority to impose rules on skaters about what events they must compete in. The ISU's responsibility is solely to organize skating competitions.

If a skater wants to skip the Grand Prix and skate in shows in the fall, instead -- OK, that's no skin off the ISU's nose. The Grand Prix will go on with the skaters that do want to participate. The ISU feels that they will lose money if they don't present the world's top skaters in every event. In this I think that they are wrong. Except for popular homeys (Takahashi and Mao in Japan, for instance), skating fans will not boycott an ISU championship just because skater X is not there.

Skate Canada should have sent Rogozine to the world team trophy, just as Skate America sent Chock and Bates :love: when Davis and White blew the event off.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rogozine was 13th at Worlds, is #27 on the SB list and #33 on the WR list and is not guaranteed any GP events. Chock/Bates were 7th at Worlds, are #8 on the SB list and #14 on the WR list and are guaranteed 2 GP events. The difference in skating skills and polish is huge.

KKonas

Medalist
Just my opinion, but this is where I think the ISU is wrong in its treatment of skaters. Individual skaters are not members if the ISU, national federations are. The ISU has no authority to impose rules on skaters about what events they must compete in. The ISU's responsibility is solely to organize skating competitions.

If a skater wants to skip the Grand Prix and skate in shows in the fall, instead -- OK, that's no skin off the ISU's nose. The Grand Prix will go on with the skaters that do want to participate. The ISU feels that they will lose money if they don't present the world's top skaters in every event. In this I think that they are wrong. Except for popular homeys (Takahashi and Mao in Japan, for instance), skating fans will not boycott an ISU championship just because skater X is not there.

Skate Canada should have sent Rogozine to the world team trophy, just as Skate America sent Chock and Bates :love: when Davis and White blew the event off.

Well, TV is not interested in televising "no name" competitors. (I did work in TV for 10 years.) So ultimately ISU would lose $$$$ and so would the skaters as the ISU would eventually have to cancel the GP series and who knows how it would effect figure skating at the OWG and the prospect of skaters having any post Olympic career.