Which Two Canadians Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year? | Golden Skate

Which Two Canadians Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Which Two Canadians Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

I want Kaetlyn Osmond (1st spot) and Alaine Chartrand (2nd spot)

But, I would be happy also if someone like : Gabrielle Daleman or Veronik Mallet would pick the second spot.

I don't want Rochette to comeback, I think that even if she has win the bronze medal at the olympic, that she is a great skater but she is certainly the one who has contribute to make the canadian ladies to look like headcase, we could see that Rochette is strong mentally but look shy in her skating and have contribute to project the image that skating is serious and the perfection is required to play a character and to not be natural.

Kaetlyn Osmond made a fresh cleaning with her appearance, she contribute to make the image that we can be free, natural and attack with confidence in our skating which is nothing that Rochette is able to do. Rochette is a telegraph skater like Kostner. Sad but true.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I really like Chartrand and prefer her to Daleman, though they are both very talented. Kaetlyn and Alaine would be my top choice but Gabby is also a good option, she's so young though that 2018 may more be her time to shine. I wouldn't mind LaCoste going either but only if she lands her jumps.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I wondered that :think:

If all of a sudden a new Canadian ladies skater shows extraordinary performance during the season and better than the current national team. Do you think that even if she ends in the second place at national that she will be unable to go to the Olympic games, because that skater would not have obtained the minimum technical score to compete at an international event.

It would be sad, if this happens, because I see some promising Junior ladies who will certainly step at Senior level this year and if Skate Canada doesn't allow them to go at a Senior international B competition, how can they get the minimum technical score if by surprise they ends 2nd at nationals ???

deedee1

Record Breaker
My wish is Osmond and Lacoste! :)

Amelie has been on senior scene representing her country for a long time, and my belief is such skaters should deserve to compete at one of the Olympic Games at least before they retire, if number of spots allow it. Some may complain, "oh she's had enough chances alreadly, where she skated rather poorly only to blow them, so does not deserve a spot", or "she is old, we can't expect any much from her, better give a spot not to Amelie but a younger promising skater for experience"...However, in my humble opinion, wins (or loses), medals, placements and/or points are not everything that should count, do not always tell the truth and should not. Because these things are pretty much full of 'uncertainity', you know, due to many other influential outside factors; e.g. how other skaters will do, an undesired injury or flu, bad ice condition, unsupportive audience, who tech panels/judges are ;), and do not always reflect how hard skaters have been trained (or how undertrained) prior to competitions. Placements are merely its outcome afterward. Just like what happens in our daily life in our real world. :yes:

Canada got 2 spots thanks to Kaetlyn at London Worlds. I hope Amelie skates lights out at the Nats, place 2nd under fair judging, and SkateCanada gives her the nod to Sochi. GOoooooo Amelie! :yay:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'd like Osmond and Lacoste to go. Osmond's obviously Canada's best woman right now. Rochette really had her time and looks happier skating as a professional. I'd just like Lacoste to get to go to one Olympic Games because I still think she skates better than Daleman and Chartrand even if her jumps aren't as good as theirs. She's also been the second Canadian lady for quite awhile (I still generally consider her that) so I feel like it would be unfair if she didn't get to go to ONE Olympics.. although I know that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Plus Daleman didn't perform that well at WTT and who knows what Chartrand would do outside of Canada at the Olympics with not much experience, either. I just really hope Julianne Seguin doesn't somehow get on the team. I can't forget her meltdown in the LP at Canadian Nats, even though she's usually decent.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I want Kaetlyn Osmond (1st spot) and Alaine Chartrand (2nd spot)

But, I would be happy also if someone like : Gabrielle Daleman or Veronik Mallet would pick the second spot.

I don't want Rochette to comeback, I think that even if she has win the bronze medal at the olympic, that she is a great skater but she is certainly the one who has contribute to make the canadian ladies to look like headcase, we could see that Rochette is strong mentally but look shy in her skating and have contribute to project the image that skating is serious and the perfection is required to play a character and to not be natural.

Kaetlyn Osmond made a fresh cleaning with her appearance, she contribute to make the image that we can be free, natural and attack with confidence in our skating which is nothing that Rochette is able to do. Rochette is a telegraph skater like Kostner. Sad but true.

I don`t think Joannie really telegraphed her jumps that much; she had arguably the most inbetweens of any top skater.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My dream team would be Osmond and Joannie only because I would like Joannie to skate without the weight of the world on her and because these two really could do some damage - both top ten. It would be fun to see Canada v. Russia v. the US - what a blood bath of competition. in the ladies. Japan of course and Yuna would be the faves with Carolina but these six could just get downright ugly and catty (so to speak lol).

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Seriously, Does I'm the only one to believe that it is strange that Joannie Rochette has suddenly decided that she is not sure if she wants to retire now from Sochi ?

Because we heard it in january that she felt proud of her decision that she wanted to turn the page on her skating career because she felt too old to continue to compete.

It seems that just because that Kaetlyn Osmond managed to win two spots that suddenly she change idea and wishes to continue to Sochi maybe.

I totally sorry if it may shock some people with what I will write, but I think if Joannie Rochette returned to competition, it would be simply because Skate Canada wants her to go back and they'll pay her for it.

Joannie Rochette is a person who has always loved money and she does not move if it is not profitable enough for her, so to see that she had decided to retire definitively in January and that suddenly she said: I'm not sure if I eventually want to retire, it's really strange.

So the truth is that Rochette will be pay by Skate Canada for her return to the ice if she decides to return. Skate Canada would doing this just for having a good image and to give the impression that Skate Canada is strong in figure skating.

It would be a shame, if she would comeback, because I see a lot of skater like Amelie Lacoste or the new young skaters that target this Olympic dream since childhood. They would deserve much more than Rochette, because these girls as working four years to be ready for the second olympic spot.

Rochette Have Already done two Olympics, let's the other girl to Have a chance to earn an olympic experience please.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Seriously, Does I'm the only one to believe that it is strange that Joannie Rochette has suddenly decided that she is not sure if she wants to retire now from Sochi ?

Because we heard it in january that she felt proud of her decision that she wanted to turn the page on her skating career because she felt too old to continue to compete.

It seems that just because that Kaetlyn Osmond managed to win two spots that suddenly she change idea and wishes to continue to Sochi maybe.

I totally sorry if it may shock some people with what I will write, but I think if Joannie Rochette returned to competition, it would be simply because Skate Canada wants her to go back and they'll pay her for it.

Joannie Rochette is a person who has always loved money and she does not move if it is not profitable enough for her, so to see that she had decided to retire definitively in January and that suddenly she said: I'm not sure if I eventually want to retire, it's really strange.

So the truth is that Rochette will be pay by Skate Canada for her return to the ice if she decides to return. Skate Canada would doing this just for having a good image and to give the impression that Skate Canada is strong in figure skating.

It would be a shame, if she would comeback, because I see a lot of skater like Amelie Lacoste or the new young skaters that target this Olympic dream since childhood. They would deserve much more than Rochette, because these girls as working four years to be ready for the second olympic spot.

Rochette Have Already done two Olympics, let's the other girl to Have a chance to earn an olympic experience please.

Guess what, if Rochette has the technical goods still to keep up with the other Canadian girls, and earns her spot, then by all means, she has every right to try and do so... and if she is paid by Skate Canada to do it, then good for her. I'm so tired of: "Older skaters should move aside for younger skaters so they can have their time in the sun." It's BS. Sport doesn't and shouldn't work that way. You should EARN it. Joannie has earned the right to do whatever the heck she wants to do, by virtue of her MANY Canadian national titles, years of international skating, and Olympic and World medal. If the younger girls want it, then go out and beat Joannie.

Everyone who is competing at a high level or has competed at a high level in the sport and can still bring the technical goods and the presentation to the competition and WANT to compete have the right to compete. Now, if Joannie is given inflated scores above someone who out skated her and is handed a spot, because Skate Canada is afraid of putting some new kid out there that may not get the PCS of Joannie, then we can talk about fairness. However, that has not happened (yet). It was the same way with Michelle. Her detractors said "oh get out of the way, let Sasha be the American it girl, let the little Hughes girl be the American it girl, let Kimmie Meissner have her time in the sun." NO. They should pry it from her cold, dead hands, and EARN it.

BTW, the only person who deserves an Olympic spot from the Canadian women at this point is Osmond, cause she brought back the spots. No one else out of the Canadian senior ladies helped do that, they don't deserve anything. Great, they worked four years to maybe have a second spot. Doesn't mean it's theirs. Also, they DO have a chance to earn an Olympic spot. Beat Joannie if she comes back, show Skate Canada that Joannie isn't necessary, and the spot is yours.

Money makes the world go around. I hate it, but thats the way it is. I have a feeling Joannie would make a lot of money for Skate Canada if she decides to return, and no doubt, she should get a piece of that pie. If I were a Canadian I would love to see an Osmond-Rochette battle at CanNats if it comes to fruition.

The only thing that SHOULDN'T happen in the event that Joannie comesback, it for her to get held up over someone who skated better. That's the ONLY thing.

(BTW, this may be a bit craven, but I totally called that Bronze for Joannie. Her mothers death only secured it more for her, along with Skate Canada's politicking. I'm not saying it wasn't unearned. She skated amazingly, considering her mothers death just days before the Short. However, in terms of technical skating, Mirai should have won. Mirai was the 2010 version of the 1995 Michelle Kwan.)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Guess what, if Rochette has the technical goods still to keep up with the other Canadian girls, and earns her spot, then by all means, she has every right to try and do so... and if she is paid by Skate Canada to do it, then good for her. I'm so tired of: "Older skaters should move aside for younger skaters so they can have their time in the sun." It's BS. Sport doesn't and shouldn't work that way. You should EARN it. Joannie has earned the right to do whatever the heck she wants to do, by virtue of her MANY Canadian national titles, years of international skating, and Olympic and World medal. If the younger girls want it, then go out and beat Joannie.

Everyone who is competing at a high level or has competed at a high level in the sport and can still bring the technical goods and the presentation to the competition and WANT to compete have the right to compete. Now, if Joannie is given inflated scores above someone who out skated her and is handed a spot, because Skate Canada is afraid of putting some new kid out there that may not get the PCS of Joannie, then we can talk about fairness. However, that has not happened (yet). It was the same way with Michelle. Her detractors said "oh get out of the way, let Sasha be the American it girl, let the little Hughes girl be the American it girl, let Kimmie Meissner have her time in the sun." NO. They should pry it from her cold, dead hands, and EARN it.

BTW, the only person who deserves an Olympic spot from the Canadian women at this point is Osmond, cause she brought back the spots. No one else out of the Canadian senior ladies helped do that, they don't deserve anything. Great, they worked four years to maybe have a second spot. Doesn't mean it's theirs. Also, they DO have a chance to earn an Olympic spot. Beat Joannie if she comes back, show Skate Canada that Joannie isn't necessary, and the spot is yours.

Money makes the world go around. I hate it, but thats the way it is. I have a feeling Joannie would make a lot of money for Skate Canada if she decides to return, and no doubt, she should get a piece of that pie. If I were a Canadian I would love to see an Osmond-Rochette battle at CanNats if it comes to fruition.

The only thing that SHOULDN'T happen in the event that Joannie comesback, it for her to get held up over someone who skated better. That's the ONLY thing.

(BTW, this may be a bit craven, but I totally called that Bronze for Joannie. Her mothers death only secured it more for her, along with Skate Canada's politicking. I'm not saying it wasn't unearned. She skated amazingly, considering her mothers death just days before the Short. However, in terms of technical skating, Mirai should have won. Mirai was the 2010 version of the 1995 Michelle Kwan.)

Joannie skated a great SP at the Olympics while Mirai skated much earlier and got a much lower score for a good reason Joannie was a much more mature skater. Yes joannie made mistakes in the LP but she still did the little things that mattered and Mirai just couldn't overcome her lead.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's getting way too late for Rochette to suddenly decide to return to competitive skating. She's been doing little more than exhibition skating for the past 4 years, except for the Japan Open (and last year, she skated in the pro event, not the eligible one). It's a huge jump from skating a program with two or three easier jumps to performing a SP with two harder triples and intricate spins, let alone a 6- or 7-triple free skate. Joannie is 27 and will be 28 in January. Coming back to eligible competition with only 6 months preparation is courting injury.

Maybe Joannie is thinking she could skate the SP in the team event only, and let Kaetlyn do the team FS and the rest of the competition. if Joannie withdrew after the team event, then only ONE lady would skate the single competition, and that would be unfair to the Canadian ladies who would be prepared to do the entire competition.

Selene

On the Ice
It's getting way too late for Rochette to suddenly decide to return to competitive skating. She's been doing little more than exhibition skating for the past 4 years, except for the Japan Open (and last year, she skated in the pro event, not the eligible one). It's a huge jump from skating a program with two or three easier jumps to performing a SP with two harder triples and intricate spins, let alone a 6- or 7-triple free skate. Joannie is 27 and will be 28 in January. Coming back to eligible competition with only 6 months preparation is courting injury.

Maybe Joannie is thinking she could skate the SP in the team event only, and let Kaetlyn do the team FS and the rest of the competition. if Joannie withdrew after the team event, then only ONE lady would skate the single competition, and that would be unfair to the Canadian ladies who would be prepared to do the entire competition.

Joannie could still return, but I doubt she would be competitive for a medal at this point. It's been too long since she's competed. But that's a moot point, since I think she intends to retire.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Joannie skated a great SP at the Olympics while Mirai skated much earlier and got a much lower score for a good reason Joannie was a much more mature skater. Yes joannie made mistakes in the LP but she still did the little things that mattered and Mirai just couldn't overcome her lead.

I don't buy this. I'm not re-adjudicating the result. I was fine with Joannie winning over Mirai in 2010 and I still am ok with it. However, maturity and MAYBE footwork were what Joannie had over Mirai. Mirai skated a great SP at the Olympics too. Mirai's Spins, Sprials, and Jumps were better than Joannie. There's a very good case to be made that Mirai outskated Joannie in total, but the combination of going early in the SP, and then using Carmen (which, while she skated it amazingly, I don't think was the best vehicle for Mirai, because she really didn't have the maturity to do it at that point in her career) combined with the crazy amount of goodwill that Joannie was (rightfully) getting AND the Olys were in Canada.

If Mirai had skated later in the short her scores would have been good enough for 4th, I would say at least 2 or 3 points higher. (BTW, Mirai had the second best TES score in the free at those Olympics. The quality of her elements was second only to Yuna.)

Again, I'm not saying Joannie didn't deserve bronze, but to say that there was a good reason that Mirai's score was lower isn't correct.

Getting back on topic: I DO think that trying to get in competition shape in 6 months is courting injury, for sure. However, if Joannie does do it, I wish her the best of luck.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Friends who just met up with her at Stars On Ice backstage told me that she joked that she's too old for Sochi, unfortunately.

I agree with zschultz's post about if she wants to return hopefully she isn't held up and nobody should hold it against her for winning and not stepping aside. People always got mad that the Williams sisters kept being in all the Grand Slam finals in tennis... well, don't complain, get better.

My wish is Osmond and Lacoste! :)

Amelie has been on senior scene representing her country for a long time, and my belief is such skaters should deserve to compete at one of the Olympic Games at least before they retire, if number of spots allow it. Some may complain, "oh she's had enough chances alreadly, where she skated rather poorly only to blow them, so does not deserve a spot", or "she is old, we can't expect any much from her, better give a spot not to Amelie but a younger promising skater for experience"...However, in my humble opinion, wins (or loses), medals, placements and/or points are not everything that should count, do not always tell the truth and should not. Because these things are pretty much full of 'uncertainity', you know, due to many other influential outside factors; e.g. how other skaters will do, an undesired injury or flu, bad ice condition, unsupportive audience, who tech panels/judges are ;), and do not always reflect how hard skaters have been trained (or how undertrained) prior to competitions. Placements are merely its outcome afterward. Just like what happens in our daily life in our real world. :yes:

Canada got 2 spots thanks to Kaetlyn at London Worlds. I hope Amelie skates lights out at the Nats, place 2nd under fair judging, and SkateCanada gives her the nod to Sochi. GOoooooo Amelie! :yay:

I know you're a fan, but Amelie really isn't who I think should go to the Olympics... if she earns it, then sure. But as it stands, Daleman is a much better prospect and even Chartrand is technically more superior and more sound than Lacoste. I'm actually really glad Lacoste ended up 4th at Nationals because Daleman and Chartrand easily deserved to be ahead of her in the FS (and all had a fall in the SP, even if Daleman/Chartrand still had harder jumps).

I'm curious to see how Chartrand develops over the summer because her and Daleman are probably going to battle it out for the 2nd spot. On paper, both have excellent ambitious technical ability and it's truly exciting to put forth Canadian skaters who are capable of 3-3's and 3Z's.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Mirai did not have the technical elememts when you include skating skills which Joannie and her pcs were significantl a head. Really Mirai skated to Carmen without any of the emotion of Crment but rather a Miss America pangeant queen or princess. Joannie's program were far superior in difficulty - she defnitel outskated Mirai in the short; in the long it was tighter but then again Jaonnie was cler to Mao than Mirai. Even if you gave five more points to Miai to be nice it still wouldn't earn her bronze.

I guess if Jenna McCorkell is encouraged to skate on why not Joannie.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Mirai did not have the technical elememts when you include skating skills which Joannie and her pcs were significantl a head. Really Mirai skated to Carmen without any of the emotion of Crment but rather a Miss America pangeant queen or princess. Joannie's program were far superior in difficulty - she defnitel outskated Mirai in the short; in the long it was tighter but then again Jaonnie was cler to Mao than Mirai. Even if you gave five more points to Miai to be nice it still wouldn't earn her bronze.

I guess if Jenna McCorkell is encouraged to skate on why not Joannie.

As I said, I'm not re-adjudicating this, but Mirai WAS the second highest TES score in the LP behind Yuna. Saying that Mirai didn't have the technical elements is silly, as she was BETTER than Joannie on tech. I already ceded the point on Carmen, I said it was ab ad vehicle for her, the music/character wasn't right, and it wasn't a believable performance in that regard. However, in pure skating, Mirai was right up there with Rochette. She had the speed, the jumps, the spins, she was a complete package.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, Joannie was a bit overscored considering her mistakes... it's crazy to think she almost beat Mao who had two triple axels (even though Mao made other errors, especially on the 3T). She certainly deserved bronze though on the strength of her SP and was better than Mirai. It's not many points but it's also worth noting that Mirai gave up about 2.5 points base value (and approximately 3 points on bonus, given the GOE she had) by having level 2 spiral and footwork and a level 3 flying sit. She could have probably edged out Rochette but wouldn't have even been close to the podium as the top 3 were way ahead.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Yeah, Joannie was a bit overscored considering her mistakes... it's crazy to think she almost beat Mao who had two triple axels (even though Mao made other errors, especially on the 3T). She certainly deserved bronze though on the strength of her SP and was better than Mirai. It's not many points but it's also worth noting that Mirai gave up about 2.5 points base value (and approximately 3 points on bonus, given the GOE she had) by having level 2 spiral and footwork and a level 3 flying sit. She could have probably edged out Rochette but wouldn't have even been close to the podium as the top 3 were way ahead.

I actually thought Mao was the one overscored and that Joannie should have finished 2nd over her. Yes, Mao had two 3axels - but she only landed 4 triples in total (underrotated 3flip and had the issue on the popped 3toe) - other than the 3axels, she didn't have much else in that program. OTOH, Joannie landed 6 triples cleanly - stepped out of fully rotated 3flip and 2axel. Their FS scores were close 131.72 (Mao) to 131.28 (Joannie) - but the way I see it, Joannie far outskated her and enough to overtake her both in the FS and arguably overall.

Mirai was clean - but I agree with others that she skated Carmen like it was a Disney princess program. Her skating skills and PCS overall were also not as strong as Joannie's (nor has she improved in this respect now - her programs are still empty as all heck).

I feel like I have to stick up for Mirai's "Carmen's Little Sister" program. You don't have to portray a character or tell a story. She was just skating, with infectious verve, to great music.