Which Two Canadians Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which Two Canadians Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
So what about Joannie Rochette: Does anyone know if she comeback or not ? There is an article about her in «figureskatingmagazine». What she said about her decision ?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has recently said that she would decide after SOI. My take is that she won't be returning.

She has been doing exhibition skating for the past four years. She did participate in the Japan Open as an eligible for 3 seasons after Vancouver, but this past season, she did the pro Japan Open rather than the eligible one. In her exhibition skating, her jumps have been limited to the 3s and the 2a. She says she still has the harder jumps (loop, flip, lutz), but it is one thing to execute those jumps in isolation, and quite another to land six triple jumps--3 in combination--within a complex 4-minute program when you haven't done that in four years.

Joannie is 27 and will be 28 in January. If she hasn't begun rigorous training by now, it is too late to start getting into competitive shape without risking injury.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I agree with those who don't expect to see Joannie going for another Olympics. I think it's a bit late, and it's a tall order at this point to expect her to be back at nationals like her old self after years off the competitive scene. If she surprises me and comes back with all her jumps and looking great, I'd be happy to see her there, but at this point I don't think it's going to happen.

Presuming she won't, I'd like to see one of the young'uns joining Osmond at the Olympics, someone who has some years of competition ahead of her. Right now I'm thinking I'd like it to be Daleman, but I may change my mind once the season starts and I see how everyone looks.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Joannie should have skated at the 2011 Worlds. She would have had a great shot at winning there and was still in great shape as her Japan Open performances proved. I dont see what the point of her coming back now would be. She wouldnt be a medal contender after so long off, and combined with her age, no way she would be at her peak, and considering the top 3 right now are better skaters than her even in her prime probably. I also would prefer a younger skater to go with Osmond as we have some promising young skaters, but then again it could also be LaCoste getting the spot, and Joannie is easily preferable to her.

I do agree it is her right to come back if she wishes and if she beats out one of our up and comers for a spot (or even beats Osmond for the Can. title which is still quite possible at this point if she returned in somewhat decent shape, Osmond was only 8th at Worlds after all) then so be it. I also do think unfortunately she would probably atleast get the 2nd spot if she came back, despite being well past her prime. I do hope she doesnt come back though as I think it is our better for our long term situation if a 2nd up and comer ends up going with Osmond (and hopefully that is who makes it if Joannie comes back and not redundant already past her limited peak LaCoste).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lacoste is unlikely for Sochi, whether or not Rochette returns. Amelie is unable to perform a FS decent enough to beat younger skaters: she doubles her triples or falls on them and rarely if ever executes what she's has been practicing. Even her 'old reliable' 3lo is no longer reliable. Amelie will be 25 in December, so there isn't much hope of her improving in the future.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'd like to see Osmond of course and a second Joannie if she proves shes still at top form by October. Amelie has come a long way. She deserves her chance/