Mao certain to face massive pressure if she tries to retire | Golden Skate

Mao certain to face massive pressure if she tries to retire

An interesting perspective.

I hope Mao realizes that her decision is win-win. If she retires after the Sochi Olympics, good for her. If she continues competing, good for her. :love:

gmyers

Record Breaker
This is why they don't retire. Season by season until she's like 40 she'll be like "maybe- I'm thinking of it - I am taking a break" and then year after year after year people finally get it! Like with Kwan or Joannie Rochette. Just never ever say your done!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If a skater wants to retire, for heaven's sale LET HIM/HER RETIRE! There IS life after figure skating!

If a skater wants to retire, for heaven's sale LET HIM/HER RETIRE! There IS life after figure skating!

And in Japan, there are ice shows. If Mao wants to keep skating but wants to ease up on her competition and training schedule, professional skating may be the way to go. That truly would be a win-win situation: Mao could have a less hectic life, and we could still see her skate. But you're right. She should be allowed to choose her own path, even if it means (>sniff<) no skating at all.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Midori Ito also faced an incredible amount of pressure, particularly to skate in Nagano. Hopefully Mao makes a decision that is right for her. I could see her retiring next year, or becoming invigorated if she gets her jumps back and can compete for the top spot for years to come.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
pangtongfan said:
She has already said she will.

I don't think she really did. In some Fan Therad/Forum/Group (I don't recall where) someone mentioned an interview with Mai, Mao's sister. Mai said that Mao didn't mean to say she will definitly retire no matter what - Mao now just feels like this could be her last season because she wants to have more time for other things in her life and she's competing for so long. But she hasn't decided it yet. By now, it motivates her to train for this season like it was her final one. But the real decision will be made later, because Mao doesn't now if she might not feel differently after the Olympics.
I don't really remember where I read it, so I cant post the interview, sorry...

Anyway, I hope that if Mao really decides to go on after Sochi, I hope it will be because she wants to, not because of being pressured to.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I think skaters should do what they want. If they want to retire, then retire, and if they want to stay in, then stay in. That includes people like Fumie Suguri.

With that said, I find it strange how "optimistic" people are about older skaters now. Being a Kwan fan, I remember how the press and even American skating fans were practically shoving her out the door during the last few years of her career, attacking her skating and accusing her of holding the American ladies back. Bleh.

mary01

Final Flight
Thanks for posting this article it really was interesting, and it put certain things in perspective. I agree with what Jack Gallagher said, about Mao still being young, and that she maybe should take a break after the Olympics if she feels tired, before she makes any hasty decision. I just really can't imagine her retiring after next season, and personally I hope/pray to see her compete for many more years to come!:love:

herios

Medalist
I see no point in her to keep skating competitively. Her sults really slumped after 2010, due to her constant UR landings, especially. Those will not get any better as she will age. let's be realistic, time is not on her side after 2014.
And yes, she is still young enough to enjoy many years to skate in shows, like Shizuka.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Her technical ability has slumped, but her artistic ability has grown. She could continue to pull in the PCS scores and with clean skating (not necessarily difficult skating), she can easily continue as a top skater after Sochi, maybe even win Worlds again if the up and comers don't develop or lose consistency in their own jumps (like Sotnikova/Tuktamysheva).

mary01

Final Flight
I see no point in her to keep skating competitively. Her sults really slumped after 2010, due to her constant UR landings, especially. Those will not get any better as she will age. let's be realistic, time is not on her side after 2014.
And yes, she is still young enough to enjoy many years to skate in shows, like Shizuka.

Time is one her side, she will only be 23 next year, and i don't remember her to have ever slumped, I remember her having taken a very courages decision after 2010 and that decision meant that she had to sacrifice some results in a short period of time in order to bear the fruit in the long run. it's way too soon for her to retire, and I think someone like Mao enjoys competitive skating just as much as show skating, if not even more.

Time is one her side, she will only be 23 next year, and i don't remember her to have ever slumped, I remember her having taken a very courages decision after 2010 and that decision meant that she had to sacrifice some results in a short period of time in order to bear the fruit in the long run. it's way too soon for her to retire, and I think someone like Mao enjoys competitive skating just as much as show skating, if not even more.

Agreed.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I was just in Tokyo yesterday and Mao is on a massive poster in the posh Ginza district. Miss Mao is a superstar. I think it is financially stupid for her to retire. The gals at my hotel were incredibly appreciative when a foreigner knows who Mao is. They really love her here.

Japan is gearing up for the 2020 Olympics bidding and they have posters everywhere. They love their athlete stars here.