Denis Ten | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Denis Ten

DTFan

Rinkside
Post-worlds interview of Denis to Chinese Press

Some quotes:

"Our minds are huge enemies. They always make this kind of projections [of the obstacles], one on the other one, like a huge logical chain. I learned so many things from last year, and I realize that everything is much easier."

About Yuzu and Javi: "Our personalities are different. Inside myself I’m like a grandpa, I always teach people how to live and say philosophical things. I don’t know what to do with myself. :laugh: Javi’s so easy, he makes jokes like expert, and Yuzu is like, so passionate about sports."

"I don’t think I ever deserve good points. Every time I watch my videos, I was like, ‘OMG this is so terrible’."

http://skatingchina.com/interview/denis-ten:im-like-a-grandpa-who-likes-saying-philosophical-things/

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Post-worlds interview of Denis to Chinese Press

Some quotes:

"Our minds are huge enemies. They always make this kind of projections [of the obstacles], one on the other one, like a huge logical chain. I learned so many things from last year, and I realize that everything is much easier."

About Yuzu and Javi: "Our personalities are different. Inside myself I’m like a grandpa, I always teach people how to live and say philosophical things. I don’t know what to do with myself. :laugh: Javi’s so easy, he makes jokes like expert, and Yuzu is like, so passionate about sports."

"I don’t think I ever deserve good points. Every time I watch my videos, I was like, ‘OMG this is so terrible’."

http://skatingchina.com/interview/denis-ten:im-like-a-grandpa-who-likes-saying-philosophical-things/

Denis seemed like an old soul judging from the interview. Funny that both he and Javier thought of taking a year off after Sochi but thought better of it and competed and achieved some of their best results. Now both have their sights definitely set on Pyeongchang. Thanks for sharing. :)

Heloise2700

Rinkside
Thanks very much for interview!!! Why don't you upload a wider version of his interviews containing jokes and more inside for his fans? :popcorn:

I love this interview. He is a very eloquent and thoughtful young man, but also full of spirit and humor.
In their own way, each of the top 3 guys at Worlds this year has that inner spark of humor that makes me cheer for them, not only as athletes, but as people. :points:

I'll try to recollect some interesting things happening in China right here.

1. When I asked Denis about his long-program costume, he said that was his pajamas. And he said he used to sing in a choir; though his voice wasn't so good now, maybe he would sing someday.

2. In the past two months Denis was obsessed with Weibo (a Chinese version of twitter), and kept making fun of himself and teasing his Chinese fans. So when we released the Chinese translation of this article, we asked him to sing a song for us or dance in his pajamas, as he suggested in the interview, as an act of REVENGE. He said the proposal was tempting, but agreed only to upload another selfie, of which we already had a bunch.

3. One example of Denis's teasing: his agent, a beautiful Korean lady, came when we were doing the interview. I asked how his life changed with a management company, he pointed to the lady and said, "Look at this beautiful face!" I asked, "Is that all?" Then he began his speech on the advantages of working with a company.

And I agree the other two guys are great! Only in a different way. I also did a short casual interview with Javi before the competition. One of my questions was if he was a humorous person off the ice, and he kinda suggested that he was everything: he would be humorous when he wanted to, and be serious, mad, or anything, when he needed to be. He said although he skated well, it didn't make him a better person than others, who might be good in just different areas. Such an amiable guy!

Yuzuru made jokes mostly in Japanese (although he seemed to understand some English jokes. I once saw him laughing like crazy at Denis's joke, but would never know what it was.). I don't know if you've already heard of them from the translations of the press conferences. He was also very high-spirited in the exhibition gala rehearsal, when he played with Jason's hat and parodied an Ina Bauer with his upper body hunching forward instead of bending backward, to the music of Turandot.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The ability to give an interesting interview is pretty rare amongst athletes. Since they specialize in sports, not speech-writing. It makes it clear that Denis is very gifted in so many areas isn't he?
And thank you Heloise for sitting down with Denis and also sharing the interview with us.

If you have any other anecdotes about Denis or any other skaters that stood out to you, I'd love to hear those too.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Happy 22nd birthday to Denis! :hb: (although in his TZ it's probably not 13th anymore :hopelessness: )

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
happy birthday denis! i hope he can continue the momentum he gained and have great season :cheer:

DTFan

Rinkside
Message from Denis.

It's a birth day.

I have to admit, I'm really touched.

I really do feel that there are more and more of you, my loyal supporters, around the world. The latest congratulation video is incredible, you are united. Like one BIG family. Spread around the Globe.
And, to me, you indeed are a family.

We take part in each other's journey. You follow mine, I do exist in yours. And that is a cycle. The incredible living cycle... where distance doesn't matter, where countries don't matter, where nothing really matters but our “existence”. And frankly saying - today, in some ways, is another ordinary day for me. I never celebrate birthdays as I find it pointless - I put no effort to be born. It was just a consequence, human nature and luck. As for my parents, it's indeed a special occasion. They created me, they gave me life. So it's their festival, their achievement for which I'll be thankful endlessly. And all the congratulation messages and wishes should be addressed to them.

Parents, thank you for making me who I am. Thanks that in 22 years you made more than just "creating" me. To become a parent means to simply follow the Nature. Almost everybody can become a parent. But raising a child is a real state-of-the-art. You've raised me as an athlete and a man that once experienced a role of being a hub which connected many people around the Globe together. Sounds strange but it is what it is. They follow my journey together, they cheer together, they live together. And I am joining their lives too. While they think of me, I definitely am with them. Therefore, it means that we do have a connection which is much bigger than just a social network.

And it's an honor. Seriously.

Thank you, Parents. Thank you, Fans. Thank you, 22 years of breathing, learning, living.

Last edited: