Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I like the Christa Fassi suggestion. She always seemed so supportive of Jill Trenary. I still recall her staying with Nicole at the world championships in 1997 after Carlo passed away at the event. Truly inspiring!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Robin Wagner is on the other side of the country (NY). I don't think Ashley's willing to uproot herself again if Mr. Nicks remains her day-to-day coach
Christi Ness lives in Canada now, I believe. Didn't Kristi Y go with her to Vancouver which is what partially led to her breakup with Rudy for Pairs?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I like the Christa Fassi suggestion. She always seemed so supportive of Jill Trenary. I still recall her staying with Nicole at the world championships in 1997 after Carlo passed away at the event. Truly inspiring!

Yes, Chirsta is based out of the Toyota Sports Center though, a good 2-2/2 hour drive from Mr. Nicks' rink in Orange County. I don't know if Ashley would be making that kind of drive often enough to build a realtionship with Christa. Ideally it should be a coach at the same rink at which Ashely trains so Mr. Nicks would be in on any discussions they have, and they could form a "game plan" so to speak as a team.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also don't think Frank would want to coach Ashley because there isn't much upside for her. She is about as good as she is going to get at this point; she can perform clean SPs and clean 6 triple LPs consistently (relative to other skaters). She is not going to improve enough to get Yuna or Carolina PCS, and she isn't going to get a consistent 3/3. I doubt Frank would want to be at the helm when she likely loses her national title to Gracie next year.

I wonder if Frank, at his age, really worries about "the upside." In his interview on The Skating Lesson he said he coaches adult skaters. I doubt if they have upside potential. I think the reason Frank wouldn't want to coach Ashley is because he already has a coach--John Nicks. She is just looking for someone who can attend competitions with her and fill in for Mr. Nicks. I would think that Mr. Nicks might have some assistants who might be able to fulfill that role.

Icey

Record Breaker
Robin Wagner is on the other side of the country (NY). I don't think Ashley's willing to uproot herself again if Mr. Nicks remains her day-to-day coach
Christi Ness lives in Canada now, I believe. Didn't Kristi Y go with her to Vancouver which is what partially led to her breakup with Rudy for Pairs?

As late as 2011 Ness was Figure Skating Director at Oakland Ice center. Has that changed?
http://www.spoke.com/people/christy-ness-3e1429c09e597c10038cc2c5

mskater93

Record Breaker
Must have moved back to California, then. I remember Kristi uprooting herelf to train in Vancouver because Ness was there.

amc987

On the Ice
As late as 2011 Ness was Figure Skating Director at Oakland Ice center. Has that changed?
http://www.spoke.com/people/christy-ness-3e1429c09e597c10038cc2c5

I doubt Ashley would be able to work with Ness unless she's moved to Southern California. Oakland is about 400 miles from where Ashley trains in Aliso Viejo with Mr. Nicks. It would be impractical for her to have a part-time coach she couldn't work with at least a couple of times per week. Otherwise how could the coach provide helpful insights when he/she accompanies Ashley to competitions? She'll probably try to find someone who works out of a rink between LA and Palm Springs.

Cherryy

On the Ice
From the cited article “In my mind, the dream scenario is that I would have winning programs at nationals and make the team,” she said. “I would go to Sochi, skate two perfect programs, with the crowd giving me a standing ovation for my free skate, and I would win the gold medal. I’ll settle for the podium, but I want that gold medal.”

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if these were Ashley's exact words or the author changed them in order to sound more intriguing.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if these were Ashley's exact words or the author changed them in order to sound more intriguing.

I hope she isn't implying that not winning a medal would be a disappointing result for her. She can skate her very best but winning a medal will still be out of her hands, as there are three skaters ahead of her who MUST make mistakes for Ashley to medal.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I hope she isn't implying that not winning a medal would be a disappointing result for her. She can skate her very best but winning a medal will still be out of her hands, as there are three skaters ahead of her who MUST make mistakes for Ashley to medal.

I'm assuming you mean Kim, Kostner, and Asada. I agree about the first two (actually, I think some more-than-catastrophic events will have to arise for Ashley to beat them), but Ashley HAS beat Asada before. Asada rarely makes it through a competition without a few jumping mistakes, especially if she tries the 3A. If Ashley gets the 3-3 solid in the off-season (she's got until October), she could pose a realistic threat.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or Ashley could have trouble even staying number 1 in the US if Gracie continues to improve.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hate to think skating is about money and getting the right coach and choreographer. I almost feel bonus marks to those who try others than just wilson, nichol, Zueva, zhulin,Krylove and Camelango,etc. Wow, Ashley is going for it big time. I wonder what Gold might have to say about this?

mary01

Final Flight
I'm assuming you mean Kim, Kostner, and Asada. I agree about the first two (actually, I think some more-than-catastrophic events will have to arise for Ashley to beat them), but Ashley HAS beat Asada before. Asada rarely makes it through a competition without a few jumping mistakes, especially if she tries the 3A. If Ashley gets the 3-3 solid in the off-season (she's got until October), she could pose a realistic threat.

That was when Mao was having one of the worst season in her career, if not the worst, due to her mother passing away and her reworking he jumps. even if Mao makes mistakes on the jumps, her content and BV will still remain much higher. when one is planning 8 triples there is room for a mistake or two, but the same can not be said for someone who is only planning 6 triples.
and I also don't agree about Carolina beeing certain to get a medal. if we assume that Carolina ads the more difficult combo's. I don't see her beeing able to execute them without mistake (falls), and I don't see Carolina falling and still get a medal rewarded at the Olympics, like she did at this worlds.

venlac

On the Ice
From the cited article “In my mind, the dream scenario is that I would have winning programs at nationals and make the team,” she said. “I would go to Sochi, skate two perfect programs, with the crowd giving me a standing ovation for my free skate, and I would win the gold medal. I’ll settle for the podium, but I want that gold medal.”

she said not about US national, but about Sochi olympics, she hope that she would make these things - win the Gold medal, two perfect clean programs, receiving standing ovation?? sounds like a very ambitious dream...

vera01

Final Flight

I agree.