What are your favourite 'moves in the field'? | Golden Skate

What are your favourite 'moves in the field'?

GF2445

Record Breaker
From spread eagles to ina bauers, chocktaws to Mohawks. Three turns to rockers. Moves in the field are essential aspects of skating, especially whe it comes to transitions between elements. What is your favourite move or which is the move that you like doing when you go to the rink?

We have a long time between now and next season. Keep the conversation going!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just skate around the rink, but I :love: Ina Bauers, spread eagles, spirals (would :love: to see more men do them). I don't know/think Russian Split jumps count as MITF, but I'm a sucker for them!

Cherryy

On the Ice
Aaaah, it all depends, but great thread! :)

When it comes down to specifically moves in the field, I love to perform forward inside twizzles, lots of fun are also hydroblading (backward inside) and sort of besti squat? Similar to the one done by Elizaveta in this years short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43_TjSeNSc&t=155s, except I do them on an outside edge.
Though I love all of the above, the one that I do best and also like is Ina Bauer. I don't have the back arched yet, but it's still nice. At least I hope so.

Other than that (because I see other also mentioned them), my CoE spiral is pretty good and fun to perform. I can't do a nice split jump (either russian or the true one) but it's sooooo much fun.

When it comes to watching these moves, I think my favourite is a nice spread eagle, especially on an outside edge, maybe because I can't do a proper one. :laugh: I also adore Sasha's russian split jumps and perfect Ina Bauers with a nice arch, like Caroline Zhang and Shizuka do. I don't fancy the ones with the back straight.
Just to add, I love milions of twizzles and other turns/little spins in step sequences, it makes them so lovely.

Here's a program by Scott Williams that contains the best moves in the field in one place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1D5dE7Rzvc
Flying death drop (huuuge) with a really short spin at 0:30, russian split to cantilever to spread eagle at 1:13, rolling on the ice at 1:39, death drop again at 2:30, this time without a spin, some non-listed jumps I can't recognize, spread eagle into push-ups at 3:00, an axel with a shot-the-duck position in the air with forward landing (!) at 3:38.
And then, ladies and gentlemen, the coolest trick ever - barrel rolls starting at 3:50. I haven't seen them performed by any other figure skater, though. I've listed just the best moves, this program is packed with them.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I used to love russian splits and wish they would be incorporated more into freeskates.

Love the cantilever too (e.g. Denis Ten's/Shawn Sawyer's).

Ina Bauers with good arch like Hanyu's and Arakawa's.

Jonathan Cassar's spread eagles are amazing to watch too.

cheerio2

On the Ice
I also love hydroblading and russian splits.
Love the falling leaf split jump. A 180 degree split falling leaf is very hard to do, and Kwan was the best at it.
Loved Shizuka's Ina Bauer.
Miss the Charlotte spiral as well.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boitano's outside spread eagle.

Held a long time. Great lean. Body straight as an arrow.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While not technically a "move in the field," I loved the single axels done by men circa 1970-1980.

They were of tremendous height with interesting positions and very open with very delayed rotation.

GF2445

Record Breaker
While not technically a "move in the field," I loved the single axels done by men circa 1970-1980.

They were of tremendous height with interesting positions and very open with very delayed rotation.

I agree. I saw the one video of robin cousins doing it at the 1980 games and it was marvellous

GF2445

Record Breaker
I also like spirals that look like a spiral, like duhamel and radfords spiral in their Coldplay long program in the 2011-12 season

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Kwan's arabesque spiral! so beautiful
Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz's hydroblading
Sacha Cohen's Russian split
Klimkin's cantilever
Plushenko's butterfly

blair

Rinkside
Always gasp a little when I see Kwan's split falling leaf...so good and so hard to do!

Myself, I love doing back inside hydroblading and inside/outside besti squats.

Her falling leaf always lifts my spirits, because it reminds me that there have been a few people in this world for whom the law of gravity is merely a suggestion. Fred Astaire and Kurt Browning are others.

In her 1998 version of "East of Eden," in addition to that great falling leaf, she does a little two-foot shimmy at about 2:46 that probably doesn't even have a name, but it conveys skipping in a grassy field in sunlight (literally "moves in the field," I suppose). No name, no points, but its worth to the program is immeasurable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0reeUnAmE

In her 1998 version of "East of Eden," in addition to that great falling leaf, she does a little two-foot shimmy at about 2:46 that probably doesn't even have a name, but it conveys skipping in a grassy field in sunlight (literally "moves in the field," I suppose). No name, no points, but its worth to the program is immeasurable.

!!!!! I have watched that performance a thousand times and I never noticed that! :love:

meem

On the Ice
I loved that little "shimmy" in EOE; it's one of my favorite moves. Thanks for the link. I loved re-watching this program and once again, (I know I blather on about this way too much), I noted the sparing use of the skater's arms (thanks to Lori Nichols' choreographic genius). After Michelle left LN, her arms began to fly up constantly all throughout her programs, like so many other singles skaters ("hanging laundry" as Dick Buttons used to say). Drives me nuts. Love Ina Bauers (thanks, Paul Wylie, Shizuka and most importantly, Tai & Randy!!). Love spread eagles (BB and Paul, again).

Her falling leaf always lifts my spirits, because it reminds me that there have been a few people in this world for whom the law of gravity is merely a suggestion. Fred Astaire and Kurt Browning are others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0reeUnAmE

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just watched it and that little "shimmy" is a slalom step -- occurs in the Cha Cha ice dance, for one!