Yu-Na Kim to donate winnings | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim to donate winnings

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Yuna Kim says she will donate her Gold prize money of $45,000 from the World Figure Skating Championships to children with disability.
In 2011, she already donated her silver prize money of $27,000 from the World Figure Skating Championships to children affected by the Japanese earthquake.

Related news article in Korean: http://sports.media.daum.net/general/news/moresports/breaking/view.html?newsid=20130429150143238

---

I just found that there are only 4 pages of threads on this board. What happened?
Anyways I am creating a post designated to Yu-Na news.

cooper

Medalist
UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Yuna Kim says she will donate her Gold prize money of $45,000 from the World Figure Skating Championships to children with disability.
In 2011, she already donated her silver prize money of $27,000 from the World Figure Skating Championships to children affected by the Japanese earthquake.

Related news article in Korean: http://sports.media.daum.net/general/news/moresports/breaking/view.html?newsid=20130429150143238

---

I just found that there are only 4 pages of threads on this board. What happened?
Anyways I am creating a post designated to Yu-Na news.

you can post this on her thread here

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?362-Fan-Fests

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

It's because, every now and again, the administrators of this forum archive threads that hadn't been posted in for over a certain length of time (usually 3 months). This is to stop each forum having a rediculously large number of pages of threads. (By doing a rough count of the total number of threads archived, I reckon there are 25,000 threads on this site!!! :eek: ).

Given this site has been going for over 10 years, that would be a lot of threads to trawl though if you wanted to find something specific. So, to make things easier to find, they are grouped into seasons.

The last archiving happened last week as, with the WTT over, the 2012/13 season has now finished. All the threads that were archived can be found here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?361-2012-13-Season-Archives-(7-1-12-6-30-13)

However, rather than the usual 3 months, this time they archived threads that hadn't been posted in for 1 month.

I'm sure I am not the only person that this annoyed. Since the World Championships, there were quite a few threads that I was planning to post things in, but was waiting a while to post them, so that any subsequent conversation would fill the summer lull.

But threads that have been archived cannot be posted in. Grrrr!!!!! :bang:

So, alas, archiving has prevented that happening. And I can't see the point of starting a new thread to reply to stuff posted in a pre-existing thread, as there is no guarantee that it wil spark discussion.

I did that with the "prettiest female skaters nowadays" discussion, and although it did produce a lot of replies, it too fizzled out, and was archived last week. So, there are now TWO "prettiest female skaters nowadays" threads in the archives. Bit of a waste of bandwidth, if you ask me.

So, in summary, I feel that the archiving was a bit too ruthless this time.

CaroLiza_fan

MiRé

Match Penalty
Damn.......(excuse my language, it's literally the first word that came out of my mouth)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think they moved the threads to Archives category.

The Fan Fest threads all stay up indefinitely.
Competition threads stay up all year.

If there are some threads you would like reactivated, given that this is the off season, and I'm not too busy, send me a PM and I'll bump them up for posting.

Icey

Record Breaker
Good for Yuna. Re the prize money: that amount won't even begin to meet the expenses for coaching, choreography, costumes, etc for a year. It really needs to be increased. Of course, I guess many skaters end up in the black each year.

Of course, I guess many skaters end up in the black each year.

Yuna Kim does, thanks to endorsements and shows. But only a miniscule handful of skaters ever break even, I would think.

Edited to add: Guess what I just learned, thanks to spellchecker? The word is actually "minuscule" (from "minus"). not "miniscule" (from "mini"). Who would have thought it? :eek:

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Good for Yuna. Re the prize money: that amount won't even begin to meet the expenses for coaching, choreography, costumes, etc for a year. It really needs to be increased. Of course, I guess many skaters end up in the black each year.

Yu-Na is a millionaire several times over and as she gears up for Sochi she's probably going to make more than what she made back in 2010...I think they said she made about $7 million that year. Most skaters would not be able to afford to donate an entire paycheck to a cause like that. It's great that Yu-Na is so successful and that she continues to give back...

I would think the majority of skaters have financial ledgers that bleed...lots and lots of red. :) Yu-Na is one of the few exceptions to that. She's in high demand in her country (loads of endorsements and whatnot) which leads to a lot of income plus she usually finishes first in most of her competitions which means she takes home top prize money as well.

When you think about the money most skaters spend and the fact that so few of them make it to the podium, let alone the top 5 or 6 spots that actually receive some kind of prize money, it's shocking how big of a money pit this sport actually is.

Does anyone know how much money skaters get from doing shows and appearances?

Macassar88

Medalist
Even though her prize money is a drop in the bucket compared to all her endorsements, it's a great way for her to raise awareness. Good symbolic donation.

Icey

Record Breaker
Correction: I meant to say many skaters end up in the red each year, something Yuna doesn't have to be concerned about.

Krislite

Medalist
Yu-Na is a millionaire several times over and as she gears up for Sochi she's probably going to make more than what she made back in 2010...I think they said she made about $7 million that year. Most skaters would not be able to afford to donate an entire paycheck to a cause like that. It's great that Yu-Na is so successful and that she continues to give back...

I would think the majority of skaters have financial ledgers that bleed...lots and lots of red. :) Yu-Na is one of the few exceptions to that. She's in high demand in her country (loads of endorsements and whatnot) which leads to a lot of income plus she usually finishes first in most of her competitions which means she takes home top prize money as well.

[...]

According to Forbes, she made $9 million in June 2011 to June 2012, and made $9.7 million in June 2009 to June 2010. She's raking in roughly 9 to 10 million a year since her peak season in 2009.

Of course, I'm sure the ROK government takes a big bite with taxes. Not sure if charity donations are tax deductible in Korea.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how much money skaters get from doing shows and appearances?

Big DISCLAIMER:
I have no idea whether this site would have up-to-date/accurate information, but FWIW as an unconfirmed example, a random listing for Lysacek says, "Appearance Booking Fee Range: $10,000-$20,000."
This site presumably is quoting fees to speak/appear before general audiences (for example, a corporate group that has nothing to do with skating) -- so compared to many other American skaters, Lysacek would have an advantage with his name recognition as reigning Olympic champion. (Kim obviously is in a stratosphere of her own.)

heyang

Record Breaker
Big DISCLAIMER:
I have no idea whether this site would have up-to-date/accurate information, but FWIW as an unconfirmed example, a random listing for Lysacek says, "Appearance Booking Fee Range: $10,000-$20,000."
This site presumably is quoting fees to speak/appear before general audiences (for example, a corporate group that has nothing to do with skating) -- so compared to many other American skaters, Lysacek would have an advantage with his name recognition as reigning Olympic champion. (Kim obviously is in a stratosphere of her own.)

It utterly amazes me how much people can charge for an appearance - sometimes the fee doesn't even include travel and hotel and meal expenses! $10,000 is not a lot for an appearance fee - we've hired speakers for our annual recognition even that cost that much and the speakers don't have a well known 'name'. There was also a big stink when Rutgers attempted to hire Snooki for the commencement address a few years ago - objections were based upon her fee + because of what she represents.

Icey

Record Breaker
That a University would hire someone like Snooki is so very sad. Does everything in the country have to be dumbed down?