Roller figure skating! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Roller figure skating!

The problem is that in most of the zones where these people live, there isn't ice skating at all! For example, if you want to find an ice rink in the area where I live, you have to drive 1 hour at least, when there are roller skating clubs almost in every town, so roller skating can be a good alternative in places where there isn't ice skating, such as "hot" countries (South American, South Europe, South-East Asia...)!

One of the first places that came to mind for me was Australia. It's not only hot there; it's dry. They don't have a lot of leftover water for recreational pursuits.

Add to that the fact that rinks with wooden floors are also far cheaper to maintain than ice rinks.

Slowdive

On the Ice
Nor mine. I think they are wasting their talent, skating on clunky rollers on ugly wood gym floors. Everything about ice skating is more beautiful, from the boots to the blades to the smooth white ice surface, to the overall look of the skater.

I imagine the wear and tear on the body would be greater with roller figure skating considering the surface - much harder on the knees. But still great athletes nontheless.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Do you know much about how roller figure skating is judged? What's considered important and what is, perhaps, less crucial than in ice skating?

Also...

Obviously the triple jumps seem to be more difficult to execute on rollers, and combinations need small jumps in between (to regain speed?). Can you elucidate what else in the videos linked is world-class difficulty, what's normal senior-level difficulty, and what's just basic?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Do you know much about how roller figure skating is judged? What's considered important and what is, perhaps, less crucial than in ice skating?
It's really similar to the 6.0 system... We could maybe say that spins are a bit more important, since they are a lot more difficult. And, judges don't care about telegraphing the jumps, because you have to do it!

mskater93

Record Breaker
There are several adult figure skaters who are former roller skaters. One of the things I notice is the odd use of edges on their blades (some have more issues than others where you look at it and know it's not quite right), spin security (they tend to have an easy time transferring this skill over once they figure out where the sweet spot is on their blades), and ability to really pop on their jumps.