2011 Four Continents videos? | Golden Skate

2011 Four Continents videos?

Phantom

Spectator
Hello everyone! I'm trying to find some dance videos from four continents in the year of 2011, but I've not had any luck so far. I'm specifically looking for the lower placing teams as well as the top teams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I hope this won't cause the video to be taken down.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I hope this won't cause the video to be taken down.

Yeah, we have to be very careful when posting YouTube links.

I once found a user that posted entire competitions, but I was wary of revealing it publically in case something happened. But, my fellow members were having difficulty finding some of the videos from the NHK trophy, so I told them. And next thing I knew, the account had been terminated due to multiple copyright claims.

And that was the end of me posting YouTube links to videos from competitions.

Doris once said (during the GP Final) that the videos posted by LaRiserva should be safe.

I also believe the RAI Sport 2 vids are from a semi-official channel, and they won't disappear.

Well, all the videos that LaRiserva put up from the Ladies, Men’s and Pairs competitions at this year’s Worlds are now blocked, due to copyright claims by the ISU (and, in some cases, a record company as well). :(

This is a development I was not expecting. So, I think we will have to be extra cautious in future.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, that is a surprise.

It is also quite humbling to me, as a dance fan, that they haven't blocked the dance.

Last edited:

Kalina

On the Ice
Well, all the videos that LaRiserva put up from the Ladies, Men’s and Pairs competitions at this year’s Worlds are now blocked, due to copyright claims by the ISU (and, in some cases, a record company as well). :(
CaroLiza_fan

That's because their channel is as official as all of the others, unfortunately, so they are subject to copyright claims as anyone else.
For those who don't know, La Riserva is actually an Italian forum, not just a single user on youtube. They used to own many channels, all dedicated to different things (tv shows etc), but eventually a lot of them were taken down due to copyright claims. So now they upload everything directly on the forum.
With skating, the only trouble they've had with copyright was because of SBS. I distinctly remember their channels with Worlds 2010 and 2011, that received at first claims from SBS blocking Yuna's videos and subsequently, it was as if the ISU woke up and started blocking some of the others (but not all). After Worlds 2011, no problems at all up until Worlds 2013... and now the same thing happened.
So, SBS must be the reason. Rai wouldn't move a finger to block skating videos, to be honest... too much trouble :laugh:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
There aren't a lot of videos from that competition, yes... rachael flatt's beautiful FS is gone, and so are both of Akiko's programs, I tried to find them many times! :bang:

It's tricky. I can certainly understand why people want to protect their property.

But...

A rising tide floats all boats. When people watch figure skating videos on You Tube, that benefits everyone in the sport, including copyright holders like the ISU and, in the United States, Ice Network.

It's free advertising! :yes:

GF2445

Record Breaker
The ISU need to make the connect that people are not watching and so they should at least make broadcasting free on it video channel website. By blocking videos, it's only helping to make this sport more irrelevant to people.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Icenetwork has the 4011 Four Continents available-they cover every skater in the competition. Unfortunately, many events are geoblocked outside the US.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That's because their channel is as official as all of the others, unfortunately, so they are subject to copyright claims as anyone else.
For those who don't know, La Riserva is actually an Italian forum, not just a single user on youtube. They used to own many channels, all dedicated to different things (tv shows etc), but eventually a lot of them were taken down due to copyright claims. So now they upload everything directly on the forum.

Hearing this, I might just join LaRiserva. Like, if their videos are anything to go by, their coverage of the competitions must be very comprehensive. And it wouldn’t be the first time I joined a foreign language forum – I used to be a member of a few German fora. But there again, I speak a bit of German, whereas I don’t speak any Italian!

I’ve actually visited the LaRiserva forum a few times since I first came across their YouTube channels. But, I found it very hard to find the things I was looking for. Maybe it’s just me, but I thought the website was very badly designed – to me it was just a mess.

Thank you Golden Skate for having a good layout! ;) :biggrin:

It's tricky. I can certainly understand why people want to protect their property.

But...

A rising tide floats all boats. When people watch figure skating videos on You Tube, that benefits everyone in the sport, including copyright holders like the ISU and, in the United States, Ice Network.

It's free advertising! :yes:

The ISU need to make the connect that people are not watching and so they should at least make broadcasting free on it video channel website. By blocking videos, it's only helping to make this sport more irrelevant to people.

I think Mathman and GF2445 have hit the nail on the head.

Figure skating is not as popular as it used to be, and a lot of people on here (in various threads) have been putting the blame on there being less coverage on TV.

It’s fine for those who live in countries that get good coverage of the skating on TV, but being able to watch on the internet is invaluable for those of us that are getting little or no coverage on the TV.

Personally, I would prefer to watch all the skating on the TV rather than on the computer. The quality of picture is so much better on a TV, and you are able to record it to watch later. On the computer:

• the picture quality isn’t as good
  • you can’t record to watch later (you have to rely on people posting videos to YouTube, and hoping they don’t get removed)
  • you have buffering (the scourge of watching anything on the internet!)

So, I feel that it is important that the ISU does continue to do deals with TV channels to keep skating on the TV. However, I also feel that people who do not have access to the TV channels in question should be able to watch the skating.

You know how it is at the moment – all the competitions are broadcast on the ISU website, but they are geo-blocked in countries where there is coverage on the TV.

Well, my suggestion is this. When they are writing out the contracts with the TV companies, perhaps the ISU should have a clause whereby coverage on the ISU website is geo-blocked during the competition BUT, once the competition is finished, people can go to the ISU website to watch the whole competition on a delayed basis.

For me, that would be the best of both worlds. And everybody would win:

• the TV companies would have exclusive LIVE coverage
  • people who do not have access to these channels would still be able to watch the competitions in full (albeit not LIVE)
  • more people would be watching the competitions, so the sponsors would be getting their message out to more people
  • figure skating would become more popular, as more people would be able to watch it

But, like with most sports and businesses, the powers-that-be don’t seem to have the foresight to realise that. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Kalina

On the Ice
Hearing this, I might just join LaRiserva. Like, if their videos are anything to go by, their coverage of the competitions must be very comprehensive. And it wouldn’t be the first time I joined a foreign language forum – I used to be a member of a few German fora. But there again, I speak a bit of German, whereas I don’t speak any Italian!

I’ve actually visited the LaRiserva forum a few times since I first came across their YouTube channels. But, I found it very hard to find the things I was looking for. Maybe it’s just me, but I thought the website was very badly designed – to me it was just a mess.

Thank you Golden Skate for having a good layout! ;) :biggrin:

All they have available on figure skating is on youtube :) it's only the other things (Italian tv shows etc) that they upload on the forum. And for most of those, you can have access only if you're a regular user. For now, if I were you, I wouldn't bother joining.
BTW the layout is confusing for me too, and I speak the language :biggrin: but they offer such a great service, so...