Colorado Springs' Max Aaron's hockey background shines with athletic figure skating | Golden Skate

Colorado Springs' Max Aaron's hockey background shines with athletic figure skating

GF2445

Record Breaker
Colorado Springs' Max Aaron's hockey background shines with athletic figure skating

It's not hard to spot the hockey background of reigning U.S. national figure skating champion Max Aaron.

The 2010 Cheyenne Mountain High School graduate takes the same athletic, aggressive approach to each short or long program as he did each shift as a player in the U.S. national team development program.

'I didn't back down when I took on 6-foot-4 defenseman along the boards and I don't back down in my program, ' the 5-8 skater from Scottsdale, Ariz. said....

http://gazette.com/colorado-springs...-with-athletic-figure-skating/article/1500314

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Nice article. Max is such a breath of fresh air for US men & he has the heart of a champion whether he ever wins another national or international championship in the future. I'm a fan!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm really impressed with Max's consistency with the 4S this season. It's been a while since the US has had a man capable of consistently landing quads. He's certainly had the most consistent quad season of any US male ever. It's nice to see the athleticism he brings. It's not the most graceful or elegant but it's exciting to watch.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I'm really impressed with Max's consistency with the 4S this season. It's been a while since the US has had a man capable of consistently landing quads. He's certainly had the most consistent quad season of any US male ever. It's nice to see the athleticism he brings. It's not the most graceful or elegant but it's exciting to watch.

Really? Were Tim Goebel's quads not as consistent as Max's?

Max is adorbs. I like him. Especially after the whole "triple axel into the boards" thing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tim's quads were as consistent as Plushenko's, up until his last couple years, when his body was giving out.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sitting here having a little chuckle at the mental imagery of cute lil Max coming face-to-face with a huge 6 foot 4 brute. And then no doubt outskating him!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Really? Were Tim Goebel's quads not as consistent as Max's?

Max is adorbs. I like him. Especially after the whole "triple axel into the boards" thing.

Oh duh, I keep forgetting about Goebel. Well, second to Goebel, of course. :) Weiss was also here and there on his quad consistency.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh duh, I keep forgetting about Goebel. Well, second to Goebel, of course. :) Weiss was also here and there on his quad consistency.

I'm not sure how you forget. It's not like the Americans have loads and loads and loads of guys capable of consistent quads.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Stylistically, Max is not my "cup of tea" but I can get behind a skater who has the competitive drive to skate near his best level in competition. It has been frustrating rooting for American skaters who continuously melt down in event after event. Hopefully Max and Gracie can become consistently strong performers.