Which 2 Russian Ladies will make the Olympic Team? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Which 2 Russian Ladies will make the Olympic Team?

ForeverFish

Medalist
Or maybe you say Adelina will be < and Julia will be <<! Is that it? If so I get how Adelina could still contend more than Julia but what about skaters with no < or <<.

Does Russia even have a leading lady who can consistently land clean triples? Adelina, Liza, Julia, Alena, Elena...none of them.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Does Russia even have a leading lady who can consistently land clean triples? Adelina, Liza, Julia, Alena, Elena...none of them.

Elena but she's not eligible so of the eligible ones no it doesn't! So that is why the any one of then can be in Sochi even with adelina's pcs! She doesn't have at least 3 triples. Well maybe Julia could land most triples at jr worlds but most are predicting she will lost them all by December and be << all triples.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Elena but she's not eligible so of the eligible ones no it doesn't! So that is why the any one of then can be in Sochi even with adelina's pcs! She doesn't have at least 3 triples. Well maybe Julia could land most triples at jr worlds but most are predicting she will lost them all by December and be << all triples.

absolutely, Julia has zero percent chance of making the team
she will lose all her jumps and cant event rotate a double, I even asked her on her vk :laugh:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
absolutely, Julia has zero percent chance of making the team

No one thinks she has a 0% chance but she is going to have to conquer puberty better than Adelina or Liza because, as FF said, they were at least as consistent in juniors as Julia, and got more height on their jumps. The only skater I can think of who was a successful senior jumping like Julia is Jenny Kirk.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No one thinks she has a 0% chance but she is going to have to conquer puberty better than Adelina or Liza because, as FF said, they were at least as consistent in juniors as Julia, and got more height on their jumps. The only skater I can think of who was a successful senior jumping like Julia is Jenny Kirk.

totally different body type, Kirk was more waify built

big jumps doesn't guarantee also, see Sotnikova who in her senior debut could barely do a 3-3 and falls on the triple combo
Julia jumps are average its her 2A that is terrible yet people cant even see Radionova who has a microscopic jump compared to Julia they are almost the same age
yet calling her as having more potential:confused: . we'll see this coming season if her jumps will stay or even get bigger, there is no lock for the top 2 team
so its very wrong to say she doesn't have a chance.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
big jumps doesn't guarantee also, see Sotnikova who in her senior debut could barely do a 3-3 and falls on the triple combo
Julia jumps are average its her 2A that is terrible yet people cant even see Radionova who has a microscopic jump compared to Julia they are almost the same age
yet calling her as having more potential:confused

I think, psychologically, people assume when they see a 13 year old do something that they will only be able to do it better as the years go on. So we see Elena and Julia do these great jumps now and quickly forget how many ladies did them well at this age but had problems later.

I agree Adelina and Julia have different problems; Adelina jumps big but her entrances are wobbly, so her problem isn't usually rotation but rather pops and falls from poor take-offs. Julia is steady entering her jumps but they are noticeably smaller, so I imagine her having problems like Caroline Zhang where she can land the jumps but the rotation finishes on the ice.

gmyers

Record Breaker
When Adelina does a triple toe after a jump she underrotates it! So adelina's problem is not just Pops and falls it is pops falls and underrotating triple toes in combo. That recently was just happening not like the potential future zhang like jumping of lipnitskaia. That's in the future and hasn't happened yet. So it may be sotnikova's < triples toes and pops and falls vs Julia maybe Having all her triples downgraded. You are saying right now at this moment even Though there are no competitions Julia has Lost all her triples and will show up at her first competiton In October with all triples <<. So will be no competition for Adelina who does have < triples. Or even if she doesn't show up at her first competition with all << triples by December or january all julias triples will be <<. So Adelina with < triple toes will beat her and with pops and falls on flips and the flutzing too.

ForeverFish

Medalist

How does Adelina not have at least three triples? Please, do your research before you make broad umbrella statements. At EACH of her international events this season (SA, CoR, Euros, Worlds, WTT), she rotated no less than three triples in the FS--on occasion, more.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
When Adelina does a triple toe after a jump she underrotates it!

You say it like she URs every 3T; she usually does after a 3Z but not a 3T. I would not say she has an UR problem. That's like saying Ashley has an UR problem because she can't rotate the second jump in a 3/3. If that's the standard then every senior skater aside from Yuna has a major UR problem because no one else can do a 3T after a 3Z.

I'm not saying Julia for sure is going to lose her jumps. I just look at the height of her jumps and see her be able to do them well in a girl's body, and I question if she can do them when she becomes a woman with another 4 cm and 5 kg.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wish the Russian women brought their performances from Nationals to Euros and Worlds. They tend to do so much better there. Perhaps this might translate to better results in Sochi.

Europeans was the competition of Sotnikova's career. It was clearly better than Nationals where she lost to not only Tuktamysheva but also Radionova. Tuktamysheva was weaker in the short and stronger in the long at Europeans vs Nationals, so not much difference either way. Sotnikova gained more points at Europeans than she did at Nationals with inflated Nationals scoring, so it is plain silly to imply she was better at Nationals; while even Tuktamysheva had a higher LP score at Europeans with international judges and real scores unlike Nationals. It is fair to rate Worlds as a so soish competition for both, but Europeans was a great competition for both and better than their normal level of skating. Had both duplicated their best competitions (Europeans for Sotnikova clearly, Nationals for Tuktamysheva perhaps) they probably would have retained 3 spots for Russia, but wouldnt have been on the podium still.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Another thing I like about Adelina is that you feel like she is doing everything she can to go for the gold in Sochi. I don't think she will actually medal, but seeing her put in the 3Z/3T in the SP at WTT and make other changes to her programs to earn more points is encouraging. For me she projects so much more to the audience than the other Russians, and her LP can only improve next year after that awful music she used this season. Even if she is inconsistent, she does manage to get very good results occasionally, and that potential of getting a huge score makes her exciting for me to watch.

gmyers

Record Breaker
How does Adelina not have at least three triples? Please, do your research before you make broad umbrella statements. At EACH of her international events this season (SA, CoR, Euros, Worlds, WTT), she rotated no less than three triples in the FS--on occasion, more.

The point was that she has troubles with three triples. I said she doesnt have at least three triples. She flutzes so she never gets full lutz credit, she falls on flips a lot, and her triple toes after flutz or toe are almost always underrotated. Her combo is not triple lutz triple toe it is triple Flutz triple toe < and lots of deductions there. She has chosen to do a three jump combo after a flip jump but frequently misses the flip and then can't do the three jump combo. I don't care how much Russia likes her these things put her chances in question.

You say it like she URs every 3T; she usually does after a 3Z but not a 3T. I would not say she has an UR problem. That's like saying Ashley has an UR problem because she can't rotate the second jump in a 3/3. If that's the standard then every senior skater aside from Yuna has a major UR problem because no one else can do a 3T after a 3Z.

I'm not saying Julia for sure is going to lose her jumps. I just look at the height of her jumps and see her be able to do them well in a girl's body, and I question if she can do them when she becomes a woman with another 4 cm and 5 kg.

Adelina can't afford to do solo triple toes so she does 3/3 and 2a/3t and when she does those she urs the triple toe. She has an ur problem there. I am not saying she urs all triples.

The issue with Julia is if she will have A woman's body by December or euros? Will all those changes happen this summer?? Or the fall? I am no saying she won't get a woman's body but don't think it's all going to happen this year and ruin her chances by December or January. It's may now so 7 months and Julia is a woman?

AliCruise

Spectator
Apply some pressure to them!! This whole thing of being hands off and applying no pressure and expressing satisfaction has to go!
You have no idea how much pressure has already put on them, esp Adelina! She has been listenning to all these "expectation in Sochi" or "the saviour of Mother Russia" for years! Can you imagine a 16-year old super-talented girl saying "don't write me off, I promise I will show you who is Adelina Sotnikova"? Russian fans keep asking and asking mass media to stay out of them at least in the Olympic season.

ForeverFish

Medalist

Actually, Gracie is one of the only other ladies landing 3Lz-3T. :)

Country
Russia
If that's the standard then every senior skater aside from Yuna has a major UR problem because no one else can do a 3T after a 3Z.
Gedevanishvili landed 3Lz+3T at Worlds-2012 with GOE +1 +2. And was 10th.

3F+3T was more often. Kostner, for example.
Asada landed even 3F+3Lo.

Tuktamysheva can land 3Lz+3T.

gmyers

Record Breaker
You have no idea how much pressure has already put on them, esp Adelina! She has been listenning to all these "expectation in Sochi" or "the saviour of Mother Russia" for years! Can you imagine a 16-year old super-talented girl saying "don't write me off, I promise I will show you who is Adelina Sotnikova"? Russian fans keep asking and asking mass media to stay out of them at least in the Olympic season.

I am just concerned about piseev and gorshkov being satisfied with the Russian ladies performances at worlds. Her being used as the poster girl for Russian ladies skating comes from her SUCCESS and when she is not successful like at 2013 worlds that should be spoken of truthfully. she knows she did terribly and was not at that zijun li or Gracie gold level.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'd actually bet on Gracie Gold to land her 3Z+3T more than Tuktamysheva/Sotnikova. Really, Yu Na is the only female skater in the world to land it consistently.

Besides Yu Na, the only lady that could land that combination consistently was Yamaguchi--a full 21 years ago.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I am just concerned about piseev and gorshkov being satisfied with the Russian ladies performances at worlds. Her being used as the poster girl for Russian ladies skating comes from her SUCCESS and when she is not successful like at 2013 worlds that should be spoken of truthfully. she knows she did terribly and was not at that zijun li or Gracie gold level.

It should be spoken of truthfully, but it shouldn't be used as cannon fodder against her. She, Liza, Alena, and the Russian fed need to put Worlds behind them and focus on starting the Olympic season strong. Some Senior B's definitely wouldn't hurt.

ETA: I think Adelina's portrayal as the savior of the Russian ladies is more due to her POTENTIAL than anything else. Even as a junior, she had massive jumps and impressive interpretation, and fans/the fed latched onto that. A similar situation exists in the US, with Gracie Gold, who--despite not having any major international titles or medals on the senior level--is an obvious future star.