Which 2 Russian Ladies will make the Olympic Team? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Which 2 Russian Ladies will make the Olympic Team?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She was just named to the junior national team, however, so at least for the fall, I would assume this mean she competes on JGP again. I guess the Fed wants to give Leonova one last chance to redeem herself before she gets dumped and probably wants to see how Gosviani fares on the GP. It is interesting though that Radinova is on the main national team and is not age eligible for the Olympics or ISU championships. I mean, certainly she is worthy of the GP after dominating all last season, but she could very well knock out one of the other Russian girls who IS eligible for the Olympics by competing on the GP versus JGP. We could potentially see a situation similar to Asada in 2006. Pogorilaya could still be in the mix for Euros, Olympics, or Worlds, however, so long as she qualifies for senior Nationals. She is only just 15 so her staying on JGP is sensible, I'm just surprised about Radionova in some ways just with the Olympics so close and her not being eligible. If she kicks everyone's butts on the GP this fall it will create a bit of a sour situation in regards to the Olympic team (ie. the best skater in the Nation, maybe World, is not allowed to compete at the Olympics, yet is allowed to compete against all the competitors who will be there during the fall).

This isn't going to be like 2005 when Mao was beating the likes Irina, Arakawa and Sasha on the GP. Radinova has no chance of beating Yuna, Carolina or Mao unless they break their legs while skating.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This isn't going to be like 2005 when Mao was beating the likes Irina, Arakawa and Sasha on the GP. Radinova has no chance of beating Yuna, Carolina or Mao unless they break their legs while skating.

You say this now but idk. Radionova has already put up some very big numbers internationally, and she almost won Russian Nationals. We'll see what happens, it could be interesting.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well Yuna is doing the hardest jumps and combos herself. In 2005 irina Sasha and arakawa never ever did triple triples in their gp events and did not have the hardest jumps. They allowed Mao to come in with her 3/3 and 3a and just totally outjump them because all three of them had tossed out triple triples from their programs.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Also pcs and goe for vets has skyrocketed!!! It is why Mao could win with doing two triples against Julia last year.

ForeverFish

Medalist
You say this now but idk. Radionova has already put up some very big numbers internationally, and she almost won Russian Nationals. We'll see what happens, it could be interesting.

Radionova is excellent, but she has a LONG way to go before she even comes close to the Big Three. I don't see her catching them before/when the GP starts--or ever, since they'll all be retiring at the end of next season. Even if Yuna, Mao, AND Carolina were injured (God forbid), Radionova would have one heck of a chase ahead of her.

ETA: Wagner, Suzuki, Murakami, and possibly Gold are the only ladies who, IMO, would have a chance of beating an injured member of the Big Three (and not much of one at that). Their TES would be most affected, thus opening the door for the strong jumpers/spinners/footwork-ers.

ETA #2: As always, my main hope for ALL skaters in the upcoming season is that they stay healthy and happy, God willing.

vera01

Final Flight
Also pcs and goe for vets has skyrocketed!!! It is why Mao could win with doing two triples against Julia last year.

And PCS/GOE for younger skaters have skyrocketed, too. Since when was Julia's 2A+3T good enough to have 2s and 3s all over the place for GOE?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

she wont no chance at all, she has old monsters to conquer she is like Tuk who bombs the SP
I think when she gets a growth spurt she will suffer a lot in SP especially with her tiny jumps.

Country
Russia
Radionova is excellent, but she has a LONG way to go before she even comes close to the Big Three. I don't see her catching them before/when the GP starts--or ever, since they'll all be retiring at the end of next season. Even if Yuna, Mao, AND Carolina were injured (God forbid), Radionova would have one heck of a chase ahead of her.
Most probably, when Radionova will became eligible to Senior ISU Championships, at least two of Mao, Yuna and Carolina will stop competitive skating.
There is too many info that all three of them want to stop skating after Olympics-2014.

Yes, Radionova is very young. But her skating is significantly better than Adelina's and Liza's at same age.
She has much less PR than these two only because when Adelina and Liza were 12-14 Russia had no so good female skaters, now Russia has.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yes, Radionova is very young. But her skating is significantly better than Adelina's and Liza's at same age.
She has much less PR than these two only because when Adelina and Liza were 12-14 Russia had no so good female skaters, now Russia has.

Radionova is not significantly better than Adelina was at the same age. Maybe a little better, but Adelina's jumps were very consistent before and she was able to rotate 3/3's more easily. I hope Elena remains free of injuries because she is attempting very difficult jumps for her age.

gmyers

Record Breaker
And PCS/GOE for younger skaters have skyrocketed, too. Since when was Julia's 2A+3T good enough to have 2s and 3s all over the place for GOE?

Maybe with GOE you are right but Its definitely not the case for PCS. I just remembered some of the GOE gets on her spins. But maybe not step sequences or jumps.

Country
Russia
Radionova is not significantly better than Adelina was at the same age. Maybe a little better, but Adelina's jumps were very consistent before and she was able to rotate 3/3's more easily. I hope Elena remains free of injuries because she is attempting very difficult jumps for her age.
If looking at all Radionova's time from 2010 to now - she is at most really better than Adelina and Liza at same age.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Julia is in Cyprus now for vacation, she has photos in vk she grew a bit but still the same frame
this is a good sign as her growth may not be abrupt like Sotnikova also her family body frame are not like Tuk's mother who in the videos was short but was wide ( heavy is too mean to say ) so I knew it was bound for Tukamisheva to have weight issues with her growth.

I can see her being like Komova the russian gymnast in built
not too tall but don't fill out that much either.

Sotnikova also really grew into be a beautiful girl too bad she's a headcase.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yuna only does 6 triples in her FS, repeating 3lz and 3s, Radionova had 7 triples in her FS this past season, repeating 3lz and 3f. So on paper her plan is more difficult. Mao has chronic UR issues and remember earlier this season and for countless seasons now, it's very common for her to get a bad case of popitis in competition, and that will bring the technical mark way down. Kostner regained consistency doing easier content, and now she's added harder content and seems to be handling it well, but she didn't compete that much this season, and she was beaten by Sotnikova in the SP at Europeans and Liza in the FS there, then at Worlds she fell on her 3t-3t combo in the SP. Her PCS may be huge but she rarely goes entirely clean in the FS. I think Radionova could definitely beat a Mao or Kostner with mistakes (which lets face it, they usually make, and sometimes a lot of them) on the GP, and as for Kim, well, I think she will stay on top but she's lost to a conservative Ando before and wasn't looking so unbeatable right before the last Olympics either so we'll see if she keeps up her jump clinic programs throughout the fall. If anyone can it's her, but idk.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Radionova will have the same issues on the SGP that Tuktamysheva had - she will not get as good a PCS as she did in Juniors because the direct comparison will definitely leave her lacking against the big guns. When you are the big fish in the small pond, it doesn't matter if you get 6's, 7's, or 8's for PCS when you out TES and look stronger than everyone else, you are going to win, it's just a matter of by how much. When you see a little girl out on the ice against the top ladies, she's just not going to be in the same PCS league because she's not going to have the same power, ease of glide, and depth of edge that Asada, Kostner, and Kim have or even that Wagner, Gold, Sotnikova, Suzuki, and Murakami have.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Yuna only does 6 triples in her FS, repeating 3lz and 3s, Radionova had 7 triples in her FS this past season, repeating 3lz and 3f. So on paper her plan is more difficult. Mao has chronic UR issues and remember earlier this season and for countless seasons now, it's very common for her to get a bad case of popitis in competition, and that will bring the technical mark way down. Kostner regained consistency doing easier content, and now she's added harder content and seems to be handling it well, but she didn't compete that much this season, and she was beaten by Sotnikova in the SP at Europeans and Liza in the FS there, then at Worlds she fell on her 3t-3t combo in the SP. Her PCS may be huge but she rarely goes entirely clean in the FS. I think Radionova could definitely beat a Mao or Kostner with mistakes (which lets face it, they usually make, and sometimes a lot of them) on the GP, and as for Kim, well, I think she will stay on top but she's lost to a conservative Ando before and wasn't looking so unbeatable right before the last Olympics either so we'll see if she keeps up her jump clinic programs throughout the fall. If anyone can it's her, but idk.

I strongly disagree. Carolina and Mao aren't as inconsistent as they once were, and their PCS is HUGE compared to what Elena will likely get on the senior international circuit (mostly sixes with a few sevens, I predict). Even with significant mistakes in her SP and FS at Worlds, Mao ultimately beat both Americans, Suzuki, Murakami, and the Russians (who all have a leg up on Radionova in terms of technique, artistry, or both). Carolina faced Russia's two strongest ladies at Euros--Tukt and Sotnikova--and managed to win despite multiple mistakes (and did so again at Worlds, when only Yuna could surpass her).

On paper, Elena's plan was more sophisticated than Yuna's. In reality, though...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I strongly disagree. Carolina and Mao aren't as inconsistent as they once were, and their PCS is HUGE compared to what Elena will likely get on the senior international circuit (mostly sixes with a few sevens, I predict). Even with significant mistakes in her SP and FS at Worlds, Mao ultimately beat both Americans, Suzuki, Murakami, and the Russians (who all have a leg up on Radionova in terms of technique, artistry, or both). Carolina faced Russia's two strongest ladies at Euros--Tukt and Sotnikova--and managed to win despite multiple mistakes (and did so again at Worlds, when only Yuna could surpass her).

This is all true. I think it will be two years before Elena is a threat to beat the top women. I fully expected that Adelina would be a World medalist at this point because she was so good as a junior, but her progress has showed how hard it can be to break through when you have any problems with the jumps due to growth. Considering that no Caucasian woman over the age of 16 has won an OGM since the 3Z became a necessary jump in 1992, it is likely that Elena's level will dip significantly once she reaches her late teens and competes against the best senior skaters.

ForeverFish

Medalist
This is all true. I think it will be two years before Elena is a threat to beat the top women. I fully expected that Adelina would be a World medalist at this point because she was so good as a junior, but her progress has showed how hard it can be to break through when you have any problems with the jumps due to growth. Considering that no Caucasian woman over the age of 16 has won an OGM since the 3Z became a necessary jump in 1992, it is likely that Elena's level will dip significantly once she reaches her late teens and competes against the best senior skaters.

Elena may not actually have much of a problem with puberty--from what I've heard, her mother is quite petite, which bodes well for her future. But her jumps are already so tiny (little height, quick rotations, like Julia) that any disturbance would be disastrous. She isn't another Adelina or Liza, both of whom had big jumps as juniors and could more or less take the hit that weight gain and growth spurts dealt to their technique. I think it'll be difficult (not impossible) for future Elena, unless her jumps improve, to challenge even future Gracie or future Kaetlyn.

IMO, the major stars of the next quad will be as follows: Gold, Osmond, Li, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Gao and Wagner (if they stick around post-Olympics), Lipnitskaia, and POSSIBLY Radionova.

Krislite

Medalist

Unique circumstances: in 2011 she didn't even want to compete, while in the fall of 2009 she was facing enormous pressure pre-Vancouver. I think she's more relaxed heading into Sochi. The only potential set-back I can see is injury, not motivation or pressure.

As for the 7-triples vs. 6 from Yuna, that's nothing. Look at Zijun Li vs. Yuna at Worlds. Unless Elena starts getting PCS and GOE like Carolina or Yuna, she's not gonna get close.

gmyers

Record Breaker

In two years who will be the top women? You know as of now there will be no Yuna Mao kostner murakami maybe Wagner. Bringing Adelina into the talk means who competed at 2013 worlds.

Country
Russia
If comparing Sotnikova and Radionova:

Sotnikova had:
Good season 2008/09
Bad season 2009/10
Good season 2010/11
Not so good 2011/12 and 2012/13.

Radionova had only good seasons.
Her scores at JrNats:
2010 - 131.38
2011 - 158.97