Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

spikydurian

Medalist
Posts about Yuna? In a thread that bears her name? On a figure skating forum?

Unthinkable.

This thread's heading is Kim Yu-Na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete. Is an assumption that this thread is all about Yuna and her marketability unthinkable?

w_darling

On the Ice
This thread's heading is Kim Yu-Na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete. Is an assumption that this thread is all about Yuna and her marketability unthinkable?

While I don't presume to put words in Foreverfish's mouth, I think that the comment was meant to be ironic and humorous?

ForeverFish

Medalist
While I don't presume to put words in Foreverfish's mouth, I think that the comment was meant to be ironic and humorous?

Yes, it was. Thanks, w_darling. I guess I should know better than to assume that sarcasm always translates well over the Internet. :p

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
An additional problem with getting rid of r wrestling. Both were part of the original Olympic sports, dating back to the games in Greece

http://www.olympic.org/ancient-olympic-games?tab=the-sports-events

over 2700 years ago.

If they wanted to get rid of something, I'd go for any of the more modern events rather than wrestling, particularly ones that are expensive to stage, and in niche sports; perhaps dressage, since housing all those horses can't be cheap.

Chris

Spectator
Son has never actually won a medal in her international events. ( unless you countthe 3rd place in asian games ).
The medals she earned is not all-round medals, rather for individual medals ( hoop, ball, etc) so technicallly, the highest she gone up was 4th place in Minsk and Sofia cup. Not to mention Minsk is a level B event, and the first place was a girl who just debuted as a senior.......and none of the top contenders were in Sofia cup.

Anyways, I still believe Yuna deserves the most marketable athlete title :)

By the way, I think we should be careful when we talk about Son. She and her agency sued several people online because they made "comments" that offended them :p

So sorry to Mamun from Russia, Ganna from Ukraine, Miteva from Bulgaria, Neta from Israel, Durunda from Azerbaijan,.......
They are not considered as top contenders in Rhythmic Gymnastics....
So poor they are............................................

Chris

Spectator
Not all the TOP athletes because the Olympic rule for RG is that they can only send 2 Athletes per country. Son was "lucky" to be placed 5th because of this rule. I mean come on, she places beyond 5th in level B events where non of the top gymnasts are there. She really isn't the "best" among other athletes. Why? because she made a mistake in the clubs, and was placed fifth. BTW, that's not the only mistake she made. She also made mistakes in ribbons where she made a knot at the end, and her shoes also fell off during one of her routine. Fun fact, Many RG fans were furious because her scores were high even with those mistakes.

One country is only allowed to send 2 gymnasts in Olympic doesn't imply they are not Top athletes, but they must be the top of their own countries!!!!
Actually, I cannot understand yr mind...Son finished with 5th place in the final of London Olympic...She deserves this result due to her hard-working and marvelous performance. No offence, But I still want to say that you not suitable to accuse Son of not being qualified for this result. Son did perform well in London and that's why she was the 5th finally...how come you can say she was lucky....You are slandering her ruthlessly...so don't say that you are not a hater of her!!!
Moreover, your point is untenable!! Ganna placed 10th in the final and Staniouta even couldn't go into final in London. According to yr concept, are you saying Ganna was "lucky" to place 10th and Staniouta was not "lucky" to get into final? Indeed, they are considered as strong rivals in RG.....

Chris

Spectator
So please stop humiliating Son anymore!!
She deserves what she gets now!!
Haters gonna hate....Those haters just use meaningless points to downplay Son and try to confuse others to make them hate Son.
" She is nothing but interest in RG "......These words can only be said by those ruthless haters and they don't know how to repect others at all.
" Winning 2nd or 3rd place in an individual event is useless, so just talk if she wins in all-round " So, you just win a medal in any event and you are qualified to comment on her.

Son said that she admires Yuna so much and she treats Yuna as her idol.
So why not you Yuna's fans or Son's haters just repect Son as how she repects Yuna?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Son bots go away !!! :mad:

and I agree she hasnt won all-around gold at all
she is nowhere near now as Kim nor Kanaevas

aftertherain

Record Breaker
ROFL what a mess!

I was hoping this thread would never appear again--I was wrong. It was revived ... twice.

" Winning 2nd or 3rd place in an individual event is useless, so just talk if she wins in all-round " So, you just win a medal in any event and you are qualified to comment on her.

Gracious, I am tried of the words "haters/antis" as much as I am the phrase "the Next Yuna Kim".

Then what's the point of a figure skating forum if we're only "qualified" to talk about Yuna, a figure skater, only if we've won a medal or two? What's the point of a gymnastics forum if fans are "only qualified" to talk about any gymnast, only if the fans have one a medal or two?

Don't mistake critiques for hate. They are not necessarily the same thing. Personally, I like Son and I respect her, but there are certainly more deserving athletes in need of sponsors.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It doesn't surprise me YUNA has such a presence in korea. She is a delightful person, attractive, talented and her beauty is inside and out plus she has a OGM in winter olympis premiere event (ladies skating and or men'shockey). It makes her marketable. I did feel though she was being pushed wrongfully to skate after the Olympics but the joy seems to have returned. Just in time for Sochi.

It doesn't surprise me YUNA has such a presence in korea. She is a delightful person, attractive, talented and her beauty is inside and out plus she has a OGM in winter olympis premiere event (ladies skating and or men'shockey). It makes her marketable. I did feel though she was being pushed wrongfully to skate after the Olympics but the joy seems to have returned. Just in time for Sochi.

You're right: it would be more surprising if she DIDN'T have such success in marketing. She's one of the most accomplished athletes in Korea (maybe the most accomplished, but I'm leaving room because I don't know much about other Korean athletes), she's internationally known, she has an OGM, she's beautiful, she's charming, she wears clothes well and knows her way around a camera shot, and she sounds natural and unaffected when speaking in front of a camera....if someone had tried to invent the perfect marketable athlete, the result would have been a lot like YuNa--but nature did it first and best.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You're right: it would be more surprising if she DIDN'T have such success in marketing. She's one of the most accomplished athletes in Korea (maybe the most accomplished, but I'm leaving room because I don't know much about other Korean athletes), she's internationally known, she has an OGM, she's beautiful, she's charming, she wears clothes well and knows her way around a camera shot, and she sounds natural and unaffected when speaking in front of a camera....if someone had tried to invent the perfect marketable athlete, the result would have been a lot like YuNa--but nature did it first and best.

Yuna is the most celebrated athlete in Korea :yes: