Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

MiRé

Match Penalty
For one thing, Russians dominate RG. The only reason Son won 5th place in London Olympics is because the rules of RG only allow 2 athletes per country. Son participates in level B world cups where none of the top atheletes are present.
Not to mention, she spends almost $30,000 per month training in Russia, so the need of money would be ridiculous high. That being said, even though she never won an actual all-round medals, her agency makes it seem as if she won a medal by wriing numerous articles on how she won a silver medal in hoops or other categories, not all round. IB then uses this to promote her and makes her endorse many products.

Its sad to look at people who thinks she won an actual medal. Its like praising Yuna that she won her SP in 2011 worlds but forgetting that Miki Ando is the one who "actually" won the event.

I would give Son credits for becoming first Korean to achieve her minimal achievements, but until she wins an actual all round medal from at least a level B event, shes nothing but a celebrity who has an interest in RG.

Oh and I think Russian feds are actually helping "Son" if you know what i mean.... $30,000 per month is alot

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
For one thing, Russians dominate RG. The only reason Son won 5th place in London Olympics is because the rules of RG only allow 2 athletes per country. Son participates in level B world cups where none of the top atheletes are present.
Not to mention, she spends almost $30,000 per month training in Russia, so the need of money would be ridiculous high. That being said, even though she never won an actual all-round medals, her agency makes it seem as if she won a medal by wriing numerous articles on how she won a silver medal in hoops or other categories, not all round. IB then uses this to promote her and makes her endorse many products.

Its sad to look at people who thinks she won an actual medal. Its like praising Yuna that she won her SP in 2011 worlds but forgetting that Miki Ando is the one who "actually" won the event.

I would give Son credits for becoming first Korean to achieve her minimal achievements, but until she wins an actual all round medal from at least a level B event, shes nothing but a celebrity who has an interest in RG.

Oh and I think Russian feds are actually helping "Son" if you know what i mean.... $30,000 per month is alot

and how do you know she pays $30,000 a month for Russia training ? :unsure:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
In anyone is interested/needs to catch up on their Korean variety shows (with English subtitles!):

**Park Tae-Hwan, a swimmer, is like Yuna's other half in terms of Korean sports heroes. Or something. They also starred in a commercial together for Kookmin Bank way back when. And the making-of the commercial is here.

(Yes, even the commercial has subtitles.)

ETA: I know Yuna's still with them, but did J. Estina add Yeon-Jae onto its celebrity models as well? The earrings she's wearing in "Running Man" look like that of their brand.

Anu

Spectator
@ Melon...

I'm new here...and somehow I’m very disappointed by some comments here...I think what you mentioned was just too careless and had no idea what you’re saying really…

Let me make some points clear for you…Son competed with the TOP athletes at the Olympics 2012 and she placed 5th all-round if she hadn't made a mistake in the Clubs routine she could've easily got a bronze medal...now that shows that she’s among the best out there…
Her parents spent that amount of money way back before she's a proper athlete...you can’t expect a newbie to get sponsorship…
And here is update news about Son…Recently she won an actual all-round GOLD medals...In addition, if you see the world ranking list...you’ll notice that she’s among the best top 10…
And saying that “ She’s nothing but a celebrity who has an interest in RG”…that’s just a [nasty] thing to say...you have no idea what she have been through to be among the best...infact to me she is the BEST…Haters gonna hate…No matter how marvelous Son performs and those haters just criticize her ruthlessly… much respect to Yeon jae Son...I’m rooting for her…
In my opinion, Yuna and Son are both talented in their own class and flaws definitely....i admire them <3

Last edited by a moderator:

lcd

Match Penalty
@ Melon...

I'm new here...and somehow I’m very disappointed by some comments here...I think what you mentioned was just too careless and had no idea what you’re saying really…

Let me make some points clear for you…Son competed with the TOP athletes at the Olympics 2012 and she placed 5th all-round if she hadn't made a mistake in the Clubs routine she could've easily got a bronze medal...now that shows that she’s among the best out there…
Her parents spent that amount of money way back before she's a proper athlete...you can’t expect a newbie to get sponsorship…
And here is update news about Son…Recently she won an actual all-round GOLD medals...In addition, if you see the world ranking list...you’ll notice that she’s among the best top 10…
And saying that “ She’s nothing but a celebrity who has an interest in RG”…that’s just [a nasty] thing to say...you have no idea what she have been through to be among the best...infact to me she is the BEST…Haters gonna hate…No matter how marvelous Son performs and those haters just criticize her ruthlessly… much respect to Yeon jae Son...I’m rooting for her…
In my opinion, Yuna and Son are both talented in their own class and flaws definitely....i admire them <3

The most impressive golfer on the LPGA Tour now and #1 ranked is a Korean woman golfer Inbee Park. I think one of the keys to their marketability on a global basis (both Inbee and Yuna) is their facility with English. Inbee actually seems to have grown up from her teenage years largely in the US. Yuna also obviously spent many years training with coaches in North America.

Last edited by a moderator:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
The most impressive golfer on the LPGA Tour now and #1 ranked is a Korean woman golfer Inbee Park. I think one of the keys to their marketability on a global basis (both Inbee and Yuna) is their facility with English. Inbee actually seems to have grown up from her teenage years largely in the US. Yuna also obviously spent many years training with coaches in North America.

If Inbee Park looked like Michelle Wie or Yuna, she would be bigger than Tiger Woods right now...

lcd

Match Penalty
If Inbee Park looked like Michelle Wie or Yuna, she would be bigger than Tiger Woods right now...

To be pragmatic, I agree with your point. It takes the "complete package" to be break-out marketable. Not enough to just be a "winner" in one's sport. Looks factor in... Personality plays such an important role as well.

MiRé

Match Penalty
@ Melon...

Not all the TOP athletes because the Olympic rule for RG is that they can only send 2 Athletes per country. Son was "lucky" to be placed 5th because of this rule. I mean come on, she places beyond 5th in level B events where non of the top gymnasts are there. She really isn't the "best" among other athletes. Why? because she made a mistake in the clubs, and was placed fifth. BTW, that's not the only mistake she made. She also made mistakes in ribbons where she made a knot at the end, and her shoes also fell off during one of her routine. Fun fact, Many RG fans were furious because her scores were high even with those mistakes.

Do you even know........the sponsorships she's getting? LG Whisen, LG Electronics, FILA, J.Estina.. pretty sure that's more than enough for an athlete who didn't even get a bronze medal on all-round.

Yes, she won gold from Asian championship. But did you know she didn't compete in that game last time because she wanted to do a gala show since it wasn't that important? But why would her agency send her to that non-important event? I think it's because she hasn't medaled once in her life, and they had to find an easy event for her to win. (may or may not be true, but it's what I think).

And saying that “ She’s nothing but a celebrity who has an interest in RG”…that’s just shity thing to say...you have no idea what she have been through to be among the best...infact to me she is the BEST…Haters gonna hate…No matter how marvelous Son performs and those haters just criticize her ruthlessly… much respect to Yeon jae Son...I’m rooting for her…

Of course I respect her as an athlete, but I can't give my 100% because she's made up. Her agency does everything they could to make her like Kim. At least Kim has a record of not losing the top 3, Son has nothing on her records except individual medals(which is not a determining points for RG), but her agency makes it seem as if Son is some kind of rival of Yunas. They consistently compare the two, and some even write an article about how Son is prettier than Kim( AS an ARTICLE :confused:)

I don't hate Son as much as you think I do. I do not like her agency, IB sports.

Sorry I'm a bit OT

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
lol, this thread just keeps creeping back in
so some IB agents are registering for Son here ? they must be bitter with Yuna :biggrin:

is RG that popular in Korea ? I saw on youtube another RG athlete from Korea on headline in youtube view page

aftertherain

Record Breaker
is RG that popular in Korea ? I saw on youtube another RG athlete from Korea on headline in youtube view page

Well, if you pose that question that way, figure skating isn't popular in Korea without Yuna Kim. Sure, rinks are full of eager children now, but that was really only because of Yuna.

Anyway, the RG gymnast featured on YouTube was probably the one who threw the really cool first pitch at a Korean baseball game (the video went viral and was also featured on Yahoo!) and really had more to do with baseball (which is popular there) than any RG competitions.

"Korean Rhythmic Gymnast Shin Soo-Ji Throws Out Mind-Bending First Pitch" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eA-HXyPvj6k

skates_lively

Rinkside
Since when did they have a law that only the world best can be on the commercial? She's the national best. The best in Korean RG. That's why whole anti-son propaganda thing is meaningless. She deserves what she earned. I've heard some of IB sports' nasty history but still that cannot be the reason for humiliating one individual.

MiRé

Match Penalty
@ Melon

"Not all the TOP athletes because the Olympic rule for RG is that they can only send 2 Athletes per country. Son was "lucky" to be placed 5th because of this rule"

Plz explain this to me again because it doesn't make sense to me...and using the word "LUCKY" don't you think it sounds a bit harsh...i'd rather say "HARD WORK"

It's like this. Say the top 3 skaters from Japan, Mao, Akiko, and Kanako are in Olympics, and Kim Hye Jin from South Korea participated. Now we all know Kim Hye Jin doesn't even come NEAR those 3 skaters. But unfortunately, because of 2 Athletes per country rule, say Mao was out of the competition. And in the Olympics Kim Hye Jin placed 5th. Does that make her superior over Mao Asada? I'm sure it's not.

"She also made mistakes in ribbons where she made a knot at the end, and her shoes also fell off during one of her routine. Fun fact, Many RG fans were furious because her scores were high even with those mistakes"

yes she had a very small tiny knot which was not even noticeable (even in HD) many RG anti-fans made big fuss about it which i thought it was silly and unnecessary...according to the rule "A knot is only a 0.20 deduction if it doesn't disrupt the patterns"...her patterns was just fine...so when the scores are out of a total of 120 points, 0.20 doesn't make a big difference in the grand scheme and her score was desirable and fair...I think those anti's just exaggerate and saying her ranking was high moreover, her shoes also fell off... yes i believe there was a penalty for that but RG can perform without a shoes too its not a big deal!
It was highly noticeable. Noticeable without HD videos. A knot in RG is like having a wrong edge Lutz or flip in FS. It made be silly and unnecessary but seeing how competitive FS is, little things do make impact. The reason RG fans were mad was because Son didn't receive "enough" deductions for such mistake.

"Do you even know........the sponsorships she's getting? LG Whisen, LG Electronics, FILA, J.Estina.. pretty sure that's more than enough for an athlete who didn't even get a bronze medal on all-round"

Again, her parents spent that amount of money BEFORE she was a proper athlete in other words when she was younger...

uhm. She started to spend that much money starting 2010, before Asian Games. Pretty sure she was not "young" 3 years ago. I don't know where you're getting this false information from

"But did you know she didn't compete in that game last time because she wanted to do a gala show since it wasn't that important? But why would her agency send her to that non-important event?"

Again you don't make any sense here...That event which your talking about was competition in Calais, France...now let me make things clear for you...
No that WAS Asian championship. She didn't compete because she had to do a GALA show.

Son began her 2013 season with the following IMPORTANT competitions :

1) Gazprom Cup/Moscow Grand Prix
2) Lisbon Cup...side note (Days before the competition, Son caught flu and is reported to vomit as a result of strict diet) Fortunately, she managed to recover and grabbed a medal...Such a brave athlete!!!
3) Pesaro World Cup
4) Sofia World Cup
5) 2013 National Team Tryouts
5) Minsk World Cup
6) Asian Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan
7) LG Whisen Rhythmic All Stars 2013*

She medaled all round in just ONE competition out of 6. And why would you even consider Rhythmic All Stars 2013 as competitions? it's GALA, not competition. You do realize only Minsk World Cup is considered Grade A,( not A) competition? Plus, non of the top RGymnasts were there. And she didn't medal all round either.

Now here is the list of the participants who performed at her gala show

* Son Yeon Yae
* Liubov Charkashyna
* Melitina Staniouta
* Alina Maksymenko
* Anna Rizatdinova
* Alexandra Piscupescu
* Italian group (+Elisa Blanchi, Elisa Santoni, Angelica Savrayuk and Romina Laurito )
* Russian group

if you notice there were also some TOP gymnasts who didn't compete in Calais, France now think about it little bit... why didn't those TOP gymnasts who performed at her gala show didn't compete in France, in Calais too?!
Don't you think she deserve a little break here?!

If I had money, I can have Justin Bieber sing happy birthday to me. With money, anything is possible.

"I think it's because she hasn't medaled once in her life?, and they had to find an easy event for her to win. (may or may not be true, but it's what I think)"

There is no such thing called as "easy and hard event"....Son competed in all these listed events (WC's) among the best athletes in the world and guess what she grabbed medals too so, therefore, i advice you not to tangle things up....

Her competitions were all level B. Do we say Yuna Kim is the BEST SKATER EVER because she won NRW? And again, individual medals do not COUNT! Do you seriously consider medals that figure skaters receive after winning SP? No. We mostly care about who win ALL ROUND.

"Of course I respect her as an athlete, but I can't give my 100% because she's made up. Her agency does everything they could to make her like Kim. At least Kim has a record of not losing the top 3, Son has nothing on her records except individual medals(which is not a determining points for RG), but her agency makes it seem as if Son is some kind of rival of Yunas. They consistently compare the two, and some even write an article about how Son is prettier than Kim( AS an ARTICLE )

"Shes made up ?" seriously and "Son has nothing on her records except individual medals ( which is not determining points for RG ) seriously then what is determining point in RG ??????...

She is made up. All the media attention that her agency created. Why can't Inbee receive the same treatment? or Shin Soo Ji, a RGymnasts before Son? Son is not special. Sure she's the best that Korea has, but that doesn't mean go out in the media and flood the news on how she won bronze in hoop.

Please stop comparing Son and Yuna. Son doesn't even come CLOSE to Yuna's level. It's offensive when you are comparing two like equals.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Yes you hate her but probably not as much as IB sports. LOL
You have a lot of humiliation on Son on one individual, because your post is just another copy of Yuna fan made Anti-Son propaganda in Korean web. Seriously why do you need to talk about all that in FS forum? Just because you hate IB sports, it doesn't mean you have to downplay with Son anywhere. You just believe whatever they say on that manual, but I know people who really love RG and the truth is somewhat different from what you wrote. A lot of manipulations has been done with that Anti-son propaganda. You believe whatever you want, but don't you think you can just promote Queen Yuna by downplaying Son in here.

I'm not promoting Queen Yuna in any way. I'm stating the facts only, it's you Son fans who are not accepting this. You know what's funny though? IB sports promoting Son and downplaying Queen Yuna. After all the years of lawsuit between IB and Yuna, IB still hasn't learned a lesson. And I'm a Yuna fan that made anti-son propanganda?
Well then you are an employee from IB sports trying to defend lies.

Um, without taking sides I would still like to say,..

Welcome Anu. Thanks for joining us! :yes:

skates_lively

Rinkside
I didn't say you are Yuna fan, but said your post seems like a copy of those manual and I just simply disagree with them. Now I'm an IB agent? LOL
I edited my previous post before I saw your reply. Edited post is the whole point. But seriously, whatever IB sports did, humiliating one individual like that does not make sense to me. It seems like you don't realize how you humiliated her in your post at all.

Facts are there. But interpretation of facts could be varied. Yours is not the only way to see the facts. Just that.

Moment

Final Flight
Most Son haters from what I've seen don't care that much about Yuna either. It's pretty obvious they're only using Yuna to attack Yeonjae. :laugh: Yuna fans are just tired because of ever-repeating articles that discredit Yuna with extreme nonsense to promote Yeonjae.

LOL this off-topic Yeonjae discussion is tired. I don't even watch rhythmic gymnastics competitions. If Yeonjae manages to have South Korean people somewhat care about RG, I'll have much more respect for her than I do now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Um, I guess what I don't understand as someone that doesn't know the interworkings of agency politics is why you are obligated to give 100 percent to one athlete or another. I mean why couldn't both athletes be promoted to bring attention to their respective sports in S. Korea? Does there even need to be a delcaration that one is more marketable than another. Okay I realize the thread is about "most marketable athlete in S. Korea."

Guess my point is, surely there's enough room for a number of athletes to shine without doing it at the cost of another?