2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think it's fine when Julia pulled her leg up for the spiral or the spins, but randomly pulled her legs up twice for no particular reason in the SHORT program is just too much. What the hell is that?
Her calamari arms are also very distracting. It adds distraction to the mood of the program and just to show that she has trouble hearing the music and doing her own things.

Now, compare this girl to Satoko who does an incredible job in Poeta, you'll see a massive difference.

Why is this girl a serious contender for Sochi is beyond beyond. Her PCS should be in the teen range. Ugliness and business should not be rewarded.

Elena also had calamari-arms syndrome. Can somebody tell these girls random squiggly arm movements are neither transitions nor choreography-genious?

Their choreographers are nuts.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
she's getting there :laugh:
sure she isnt there yet even on Gracie or Sotnikovas level but she has better presentation than say Tuks
she isnt the only one with flailing arms you know

Satoko may have better presentation but face is singled mimed
and her jumps, lets not get into that

their programs are chrographer by Averbukh

gmyers

Record Breaker
I have never seen her attempted a 3Lo-3Lo
maybe in practices, her problem is when she sticks the 3T in her 3Flz - it mostly gets UR because of her pitch forward landing
her 3Lo is one of old jump friend, so this could go in two ways, lol she'll still use 3F or 3Lz as a single jump if there is 3Lo-3Lo

If she did 3lo-3lo though she'd have to do a 3f or 3lz as her solo jump though, so either do her nemesis jump or get called for flutzing. Even though it has the lowest BV she'd probably maximize her points by doing 3t-3t and 3lo, because 1.) no flutz 2.) she can usually fully rotate that combo and 3.) no 3f which 75% of the time gets turned into 1f or 3f fall. The other thing about 3lz-3lo is that she really needs to wind up after she lands the lutz to do that combo, and I remember back in 2011-2012 season she kept falling on her lutz after she landed it because it seemed like she was trying to hold the landing edge long enough to get enough momentum to do the 3lo after it, but in most cases she'd either hold the edge too long or land at a weird angle and the result would be falling before she even took off for the 3lo.

Bottom line is that 3f especially and 3lz-3lo to a certain extent are bad juju combos for her and at this point she should just avoid doing them in a SP. Otherwise it's likely she'll not make GPF for the 3rd season in a row

The most important thing for Adelina in her skating career at this point is not doing flips. So that is why I thought 3loop/3loop could be an interesting experiment. her solo jump would have to be a lutz. Even if it's guaranteed e call it's better than 1f! She's uring all second jumps in combos anyway so why not go with loop? There is a danger that her ur would go to downgrade and switch from < to << and that would be worse. She just need to stop all flips. This is the main reason why Julia has to be now the lock and guarantee for Sochi because she is just amazing and improving all the time. And this is as a senior! Her best days are in the future!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
she's getting there :laugh:
sure she isnt there yet even on Gracie or Sotnikovas level but she has better presentation than say Tuks
she isnt the only one with flailing arms you know
Tuks is probably the worst of the top 24 when it comes to presentation. And her programs are DOA with a DNR sign next to them.
Julia is not flailing, but she's a squiggly calamitous calamari covered in her own black ink. It's like two trolls fighting for the ugliest title. Both are ugly.

Satoko may have better presentation but face is singled mimed
and her jumps, lets not get into that
Satoko's jumps aren't that good, but about the same as Julia's.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Both of Adelina's programs have potential and she looks to be in great shape...but those jumps don't look any better. Interesting that she went for the lutz-loop and stood up on it though I'm sure it was UR. The clips I saw of her FS was pretty bad from a jump standpoint. I just don't know what's going to happen with her. I thought she looked beautiful out there but pretty don't count for much without the jumps...

Julia showed some signs of life at the beginning and end of the program but for the most part, she hasn't improved much. Her program is still meh. The choreography doesn't highlight/enhance the music at all. Her jumps look solid though, so that's a plus, except for the axel...it's still 6 inches off the ground but at least she has a nice riding edge.

Anna Pogorilaya shocked me a little. I think her SP is pretty good and she actually gave it a little energy too. If she continues to improve there she will put a lot of pressure on Adelina and Liza T...

Elena makes me smile. Always. I love her personality on the ice, the energy and pizazz she brings and the way she just radiates when she skates. She's grown (she's all legs!) but her jumps still look good to me. I think her FS is full of sassy fun and she did a fabulous job. If she carries that confidence and consistency she had last season into this season on the GP, she may mix things up quite a bit.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Both of Adelina's programs have potential and she looks to be in great shape...but those jumps don't look any better. Interesting that she went for the lutz-loop and stood up on it though I'm sure it was UR. The clips I saw of her FS was pretty bad from a jump standpoint. I just don't know what's going to happen with her. I thought she looked beautiful out there but pretty don't count for much without the jumps...

Agree. I'm worried either it's a deep-rooted technique issue or that her nerves are getting the better of her at all times, even in a laid back atmosphere like this. Hopefully it was just a bad run-through and not par for what to expect from her this season. The spins look good though and the spiral has beautiful extension, but even so, she needs the jumps. Also she does that Miki Ando stick-your-butt-out and bend forward while stroking thing which is distracting.

Julia showed some signs of life at the beginning and end of the program but for the most part, she hasn't improved much. Her program is still meh. The choreography doesn't highlight/enhance the music at all. Her jumps look solid though, so that's a plus, except for the axel...it's still 6 inches off the ground but at least she has a nice riding edge.

I actually thought she improved from a presentation standpoint and the jumps were a little bigger and stronger compared to last season. Adelina and Liza should definitely be worried..

Anna Pogorilaya shocked me a little. I think her SP is pretty good and she actually gave it a little energy too. If she continues to improve there she will put a lot of pressure on Adelina and Liza T...

I agree, I thought the spins looked a bit rough and obviously she doesn't want to be doing 2lz in competition but I thought all her jumps had really solid landing positions and ride out which helps with the polish, plus the 3t looked fully rotated, which is good news as she has grown in the offseason. Like Julia it seems puberty has not been too mean to her at this point but I guess it's still early. Less worried about the spins because it's easier to clean those up than to land triple jumps, and that 3lo was actually really nice which makes me happy b/c last season it gave her some trouble. The tango and more mature costume help to give her a more sophisticated appearance on the ice and her arms are very expressive. Posture still needs work, but as for those who say she's Shelepen 2.0, I really think she's a lot better, at least from a presentation standpoint (or has the potential to be) than Shelepen ever was, despite being 3 years younger. Plus I just want to watch her, maybe it's superficial but I think she's really striking out there on the ice, if she hits the jumps, her presentation is already better than Tuk's IMO..

Elena makes me smile. Always. I love her personality on the ice, the energy and pizazz she brings and the way she just radiates when she skates. She's grown (she's all legs!) but her jumps still look good to me. I think her FS is full of sassy fun and she did a fabulous job. If she carries that confidence and consistency she had last season into this season on the GP, she may mix things up quite a bit.

Agree and her programs are so unique and have tons of potential. At least I think so. The jumps in general looked a little more laboured than I'm used to seeing them, but it's not surprising given how she's all legs and has those big feet, suddenly a lot more limbs to pull in to get the jumps to work. Mostly I'm impressed by her presentation, it's better than all the senior ladies in Russia even. Plus she has good posture!! (Adelina and Anna need to take notes). It would appear Elena has dance training and it has really paid off, her movements are very smooth and not awkward, which is impressive given the gangly tween phase she's in right now. I think she can do some major damage on the GP this season and probably be the top placed Russian at the final.

Now I want to see Korobeynikova skate! Well and Leonova and Gosviani too. And a more recent clip of Liza to see if her jumps have improved since that show in Estonia. It's pretty standard for the jumps and programs to be a mess for a GP skater in the middle of the summer, but now that it's mid-August, you would expect them to look a lot better and so that's why I wonder, if there is real reason to worry for Liza or not.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The most important thing for Adelina in her skating career at this point is not doing flips.

She pretty much HAS to do flips, at least in the LP. She will get -GOE on the (f)lutz and she won't be competitive doing only 3T, 3S, and 3R. The flip seems to be a mental block because she shouldn't have problems with it since she does it well in practice.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She pretty much HAS to do flips, at least in the LP. She will get -GOE on the (f)lutz and she won't be competitive doing only 3T, 3S, and 3R. The flip seems to be a mental block because she shouldn't have problems with it since she does it well in practice.

Maybe one flip in the lp and hopefully it works out. She can't do two because then one of the two has to be in combo and I lost count of how many three jump combos were lost because she couldn't jump after she did the flip. Leaving out two double jumps is common for her. If she did two flutzes but was able to use the two double jumps to make up for the negative goe. That just makes more sense than single flip, triple flip but no combos. So you do 3 Flutz, 3Flutz double toe double toe.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

No, she could repeat 3flutz and 3lo, or even 3lo and 3s because then she could actually get +GOE on those jumps, her two best jumps. It's beyond silly that she's repeating 3f in her FS when it's giving her fits like this. She should definitely repeat 3lo in her FS and then she could chose whether she wanted to repeat 3lz or 3s, with the -GOE on the flutz and the +GOE she's capable of getting on a good 3s, she could potentially end up picking up more points by repeating 3s. If she did 7 triples FS with two 2a, even if her repeat triples were 3lo and 3s, that would be a competitive BV. But like I said even repeating the flutz is acceptable - what I don't get is going for 3f in the SP and two of them in the FS!!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I just watched Adelina's SP: it's really an incredibly mature and sophisticated program, her best SP so far for sure! Far better than most of the older girls! About the jumps: for me, if she fixes the flutz she should try a 3F+3Lo/3Lz SP, if she doesn't 3F+3T/3Lo would be the best choice I think... (the flips obviously without the preceeding steps)
Any clip of her (complete) FS? The one posted in this thread (Summer) didn't look like a competition program...

hanca

Record Breaker
Julia is not flailing, but she's a squiggly calamitous calamari covered in her own black ink. It's like two trolls fighting for the ugliest title. Both are ugly.

Proud of yourself, comparing some 15-16 year old to calamari and trolls? She is not like a troll, you are the troll!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
FSGMT said:
Any clip of her (complete) FS? The one posted in this thread (Summer) didn't look like a competition program...

It looked like the 2nd half of her LP to me, maybe that's all she did?

I can't really decide if I like her going back to 3Lz3Lo or not. I love 3-3Lo combos and think they're a lot more beautiful to look at than 3-3T combos, in addition to being rarer too (partly of course, because the ISU has pretty much killed them...). It just would have been better, if they had worked on some of the problems that caused Adelinas trouble with the 3Lz3T to begin with, instead of just going back to an older combo that didn't really work either. She has really powerful jumps and gets good height on them, so if they fixed her technique, a 3Lz3T should be possible to do for her. But even more important then the 3-3, IMO, would it be to fix the flutz first.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Satoko's jumps aren't that good, but about the same as Julia's.[/QUOTE]

Really?Just..really?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But even more important then the 3-3, IMO, would it be to fix the flutz first.

Agreed. She can't get +GOE on a lutz combo if she flutzes. She did relatively well with the 3T-3T in the SP last year so maybe she could do a solo 3Z. That would probably get her the most points since she has a good chance of getting +GOE on the combo and possibly on the solo jump if she gets the right edge on takeoff.