2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events

shine

Record Breaker
Radionova is perfect for me, she is my favorite. I cheer for her in this season !! I can't wait the GP series!

She has her faults, but she's definitely my favourite of the young Russian ladies. She has great musicality and natural charm. :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I have never been Julia's fan but I think her presentation and musicality improved over the summer. I might be wrong, but she seems to be actually listening to the music. Her arm movements and facial expressions are better, although her upper body itself doesn't seem to have changed much. Jump-wise, her landing looks a bit hard but she is landing them.

her programs were always suitable for her except last seasons
her jumps although may not that huge but they are stable, she has a very supple type of jumps where she doesn't need to power through on take off. puberty does not seem to hit Julia hard as she is only growing a few cm every year and her body frame is not that broad. Adelina had an abrupt change in one season and her mental issue caused her trouble and Tuk's puberty seem to hit her hard with her growth and weight issues

Radionova will go through a hard time also, she has long bambi legs and she still has a long way of growing things to go
she still looks like a 13 year old

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Agafonova is still 17 yo, will she try for JGP again, or do you think she is aiming to get the host pick at COR? I guess the other ladies in contention for that spot are Gosviani, Korobeynikova (as a 2nd event), and Biryukova, but we haven't seen any of them skate yet this season. Based on last season, Gosviani deserves it most, but Agafonova looks in pretty good form right now in this video, so she may be making a case for herself.

Country
Russia
She is born in March 2001 so she is 12. Her results has not been yet great, not the level of Sakhanovitch, Ogoreltseva, Sotskova, Medvedeva, Kaiumova etc. She is still young, but at the moment she doesn't stand out from the large group of very talented youngsters.

I remember that Leonova had her really high results only at 16. So all may happen.

But all the other knowh hi-level Russian girls had good National-level results (i.e. medals of National competions corresponding age) being very young.
Tuktamysheva - at 11.
Sotnikova - at 10.
Radionova - at 10.
Lipnitskaia - at 11.
Pogorilaya - at 10.
Gosviani - at 9.
Agafonova - at 9.
Shelepen - at 11.
Sakhanovitch - at 11 (she begun skating at 7, so it is very good).
Ogoreltseva - at 10.
Sotskova - at 9.
Medvedeva - at 11.
Kaiumova - at 10.
Only Korobeynikova at 12, but at 11 she was 4th.
Biryukova - at 13, but she started skating at 7.

Not all the youngster medalists became known internationally skaters, but almost all internationally known was youngster medalists.

hanca

Record Breaker
I remember that Leonova had her really high results only at 16. So all may happen.

That's true, but Leonova was very lucky that there was no one else decent within Russia. She was lucky that her date of birth is a few years earlier than this huge pack of very talented girls. Now there is such competition that someone like Leonova would have a hard time to push through. For example, I don't think that even at her best she had anything better than 3T-3T. The majority of your youngster now has it and even if only half of them survives the puberty, it will be plenty of skaters fighting for 3 spots for Europeans and potential 3 spots for worlds if they manage to regain the third spot. If the competition at that time was like it is now, Leonova would be buried somewhere in the pack of 'decent but not quite good enough' skaters.

Country
Russia
It is not so simple.
Leonova past season had Worlds being in fact third of age eligible, while she seriously degraded from previous season.
Gosviani who had not real success for years, earned Euro.

So I believe - if some skater will become really good at not so young age, she will have real chance.
Problem is in this if.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Agafonova is still 17 yo, will she try for JGP again, or do you think she is aiming to get the host pick at COR? I guess the other ladies in contention for that spot are Gosviani, Korobeynikova (as a 2nd event), and Biryukova, but we haven't seen any of them skate yet this season. Based on last season, Gosviani deserves it most, but Agafonova looks in pretty good form right now in this video, so she may be making a case for herself.
Well, that was a Senior SP (she didn't have the loop in it, which is the required solo jump this year for Juniors), so I think that she's trying to skate her best at the Russian Cup (as a Senior) to receive maybe a Senior B and hopefully that third CoR spot... I hope there will be videos of Korobeynikova so we'll be able to compare them because I think that these two Polinas are more or less at the same level now (Korobeynikova slightly better artistically, Agafonova slightly better technically)... :popcorn:

Country
Russia
Well, that was a Senior SP (she didn't have the loop in it, which is the required solo jump this year for Juniors), so I think that she's trying to skate her best at the Russian Cup (as a Senior) to receive maybe a Senior B and hopefully that third CoR spot... I hope there will be videos of Korobeynikova so we'll be able to compare them because I think that these two Polinas are more or less at the same level now (Korobeynikova slightly better artistically, Agafonova slightly better technically)... :popcorn:
Yes, it was qualification to Senior Event of Russian Cup 1 for her.

hanca

Record Breaker
There is a huge difference. At the time Leonova managed to push through, there was no decent senior Russian lady. Last year, when Gosviani managed to push through, again by luck there was no decent lady available for third spot. Makarova, Leonova, Shelepen, Korobeynikova and Byriukova were not having decent results and suddenly there was an opportunity. However, this is very unlikely to happen again. Every year there is one or two new girls coming to senior eligible age who make the senior level in Russian ladies a bit crowded. It was lucky for Leonova that there were no decent senior girls and lucky for Gosviani that 5 seniors girls were not performing the whole season, but now there will be more and more and even if half of them did not perform, there will be still plenty left. All you need is three good ones to be send; you can't send more anyway. So I don't think any late bloomer will suddenly pop out. Look at Menshov. Late bloomer and did not have as many chances as the younger ones. And men category is not as crowded as ladies category.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
True, Gosviani got lucky because Lipnitskaya (and Shelepen - with decent skating she could have finished ahead) withdrew from Nationals, and Lipnitskaya was too young anyways, and Pogorilaya and Sahkanovich who both beat her by 6-7 points were both too young. This year, even if many ladies falter, Lipnitskaya, Pogorilaya, Gerasimova, and Titushkina are all old enough for ISU championships so that's 4 more girls in the mix that would need to be beaten. When Leonova was doing so well, Makarova and Biryukova were her only real competition, as Shelepen and Korobeynikova were still on the JGP for that first season they became eligible, so were more of an afterthought than a major threat to Leonova. Plus both Makarova and Biryukova essentially had no 3lz or 3f so it's not like Leonova had that much to worry about. Now though it's an entirely different ballgame.

bluesky85

On the Ice
I liked Julia Li last season, but then she seems a bit slow this season, especially her spins... and her jumps seem smaller.... I still really like her in general... she has a lot of potential to grow :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
can we just stop with the Pogorilaya, Gosviani, Korobeynikova, Gerasimova ? they are all non factors
only Leonova has a slight chance

the 2 spots
will only be between Adelina, Julia and Liza

Country
Russia
Videos of StPeterburg Test Skate to Russian Cup I.
Free Skate.

Shulepov http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWqEzkTA64
Gubanova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKL8l7yyNBQ
Konstantinova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq-iJHcchYY
Agafonova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8s3ioZUXnk
Smolkin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OixBRgUvPwY
Fitisova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7hcfLBlts
Aliev http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9fS9mjw2hE

Most interesting as for me are:
Anastasia Gubanova (02 Dec 2002, i.e. 10 years old). She is known as the girl who landed her 3F at competition before 9th birthday. Very nice skating at video (with mistakes, but she has a lot of time before her main competitions).
Anton Shulepov (30 Mar 1996). It is his first season in StPetersburg (up to end of season 2012/2013 he was at Vladimir city), and very big progress. Talented boy.