2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It is a bit troubling that so many of the promising skaters like Julia, Gracie, Courtney, and many other have absolutely no musicality at all. It's not a good sign for the future of the sport when the top 3 retire and one of these women become the face of skating.

This is the problem with figure skating. They just don't put the right value on PCS. They should have no problem giving someone a 2 on IN if they look like they skate in a vacuum.
If I can see someone pays absolutely no attention to the music, doesn't even bother and admits there's no point in doing "emotions" and continues to score reasonably well, then what's the point anymore.

Gracie tries and tries, so she has some redeeming qualities.

gmyers

Record Breaker
From the horse's mouth is a common expression in English. No one was referring to Julia as a horse.

Flattfan has a history! It is nonsense to think it was innocent when they've been like she's a dog she's a squid! Now it's a horse. I'm sorry but you are wrong.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
From the horse's mouth is a common expression in English. No one was referring to Julia as a horse.

Utterly true. The most damning of indictments are always said to have come "Straight from the horse's mouth, " i.e. from a firsthand source. That is, Julia herself said she ignores the music on purpose, so we should believe her.

This expression has a disputed origin, but it is quite old..

http://voices.yahoo.com/idioms-unpacked-straight-horses-mouth-5332597.html

That said, in a forum where not all posters are idiomatic speakers, it is wise to avoid even implied comparisons between people & animals.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was totally a case of being too cute by half! That's another saying! Everyone knows the history Of that poster!

Mirunna

Record Breaker
It was clear from Julia's entire interview that she acknowledged the faults in her skating (like having no transitions/preceding steps, or the lack of emotions) and she is working to hard to get better. Her SP shows she is actually less robotic and pays more attention to the music. She is no Carolina and she probably will never be, but it's only fair to give her what she deserves, and she is getting better. What Flattfan posted was only a bit of her interview.

Here are some other parts:

" EV: What had improved compared to the last year.
JL: Everything. Sorry...

EV: Why sorry?
JL: Well, you know, perhaps it sounds not quite modest. But it's true. If you recall how it used to be: I would be set into the right mood before the skate and then go to the ice, do one jump - and that's it. Either I would fall or pop the jumps. I couldn't skate a single programm clean. Even during the spins I would travel. It's hardly surprising I ended up falling. I used to rewatch my skates before and understood I don't really have steps or transitions, but I have the elements and the spins. And then suddenly they were gone as well."

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She acknowledged her short comings, but she didn't say anything about fixing them. She still doesn't think showing emotions is needed in this sport. Looks like she's saying she's improving her elements, not her performing aspect.
Since I haven't seen anything new from her, what I saw from her is exactly what she said she did, skating in a vacuum from one element to another. Which is fine, if they give her 2 for IN and 2 for CH. The problem is they don't.

How do you skate without music all the time and delude any judges that you're actually feeling the music? What dumb judges fall for that? It was obvious to viewers, should be very obvious to judges.

hanca

Record Breaker
How do you skate without music all the time and delude any judges that you're actually feeling the music? What dumb judges fall for that? It was obvious to viewers, should be very obvious to judges.

I see, so she fooled everybody, all "those dumb judges who fall for that", but you are the one who can see through her... How clever of you!

Country
Russia
http://fsrussia.ru/news/630_yuliya-lipnickaya-v-korotkoj-programme-ya-izobrazhayu-sebya/ (Russian)

My translation:
Julia LIPNITSKAYA: "In the short program I represent myself"

The JrWorlds champion-2012, silver medalist of the JrWorlds-2013 Julia Lipnitskaya told about preparation for starts of a season and admitted that in the new short program she represents herself.

- Julia, your new programs were put by Ilya Averbukh. In what feature of work with this director?

- Ilya always tries to make a start from the thought-up image. For it it is important not only music, beautiful or not, the athlete accepts it or doesn't approach, it is important to create an unusual image under even all-known melody.

- Was not so earlier?

- Earlier we went from that as it was more convenient to me to do. Concentrated on beautiful hands, gestures, movements, elements … Now we try to tell story.

- That is you understand, about what your program?

- If it is honest, for the first time for the sports career I skate programs with images. But it seems to me, it is normal process. I became more adult and at many things I look differently.

- If not a secret, tell briefly about new images.

- In the short program I managed to cope with a task because there I represent myself. In this program I feel more surely and very naturally. By the way, for the short program we looked for music long. And when found, put the program surprisingly quickly. Somehow everything developed by itself. I like very much the program. It unusual, under piano music.

With free skate program in this sense it is slightly more difficult because the program is more difficult. Here it is necessary to concentrate attention on each element that to execute everything purely. It is clear that when speech comes about complexity, the image leaves a little on the second plan. But I and in this program will try to express emotion, and I hope, everything will turn out. Music too the lyrical. But the program not about love. I would tell, an unexpected subject.

- In the short program you represent yourself. And what are you now?

- It is difficult to me to describe all this, after all from yourself you don't see. But I heard responses of other people, and all say that last year's Julia Lipnitskaya and present – two different persons. I feel by myself that my programs became more mature, more interesting. But I don't want much in advance to speak about it. You will see on test skating.

- It was more difficult or simpler to you to begin preparation for a season?

- In this season everything was in a different way. In the past a lot of things were for me more difficult. And the season was not such as we planned initially. And in it everything went quietly and gradually. Rolled the skates, worked on skating skills, created models of programs, gradually passed to jumps … Carried out good all-physical preparation. And somehow imperceptibly everything connected. Two weeks ago for the first time entirely skated the short program, the other day – free. But ahead still there is a lot of work.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
well Julia wouldn;t be mad to any referrence to Horses
she loves horseback riding and ponies are full of pictures in her vk :)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I see, so she fooled everybody, all "those dumb judges who fall for that", but you are the one who can see through her... How clever of you!

He is lying and choosing not to read because Julia says she turns on music when working on her program!!! It's right after a sentence that he bolded. He is a liar and everyone can read the interview and julia trains to music. Focusing on this liar who should be banned is too much.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She acknowledged her short comings, but she didn't say anything about fixing them. She still doesn't think showing emotions is needed in this sport. Looks like she's saying she's improving her elements, not her performing aspect.

From Julia's perspective, she does have to prioritize her training efforts to focus on the things that need the most work. More speed, bigger jumps, and higher levels will do more to improve her scores than feeling the music, as the technical improvements help both GOE and PCS. I agree that the judges should use the lower range of PCS when appropriate to encourage programs to be more well-rounded.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

People with eyes and ears can see she's not skating to the music. If that's all it takes to be "clever", honey, you are full of compliments.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nikol is fine and still with Urmanov.
Here are photos from Moskvina-Vasiliev-Urmanov master class in Igora on July 27 where she performed.
Here is Alexei's interview in Russian, dated August 7, as far as I understand they were in the training camp in Italy, next heading to the test skate in Sochi. She has two completely new programmes, both classical style with modern elements. He doesn't name the music, though.

Thanks for the update! Nikol looks beautiful, and really, she could pass for Elena Ilynikh's sister!! I like the SP costumes, hope we get to see the new programs soon!

gmyers

Record Breaker
That's a commonly used expression. Calm down :rolleye:

I have to consider the source! With his dog and squid talk. He thinks Julia is like an animal. So he finds an expression where he can use an animal? No benefit of the doubt is deserved. He should have been banned for the "she's like a dog" anyway!

IleK

On the Ice
Thanks for the update! Nikol looks beautiful, and really, she could pass for Elena Ilynikh's sister!! I like the SP costumes, hope we get to see the new programs soon!

Yes we will! My wish came true and she got a Senior B: Ondrej Nepela! along with Polina K. I am so excited about this, I was afraid that the russian fed will forget about her this season.
Martyusheva and Rogonov will also skate here.And Sinitsina&Zhiganshin. No russian men.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
gmyers said:
I have to consider the source! With his dog and squid talk. He thinks Julia is like an animal. So he finds an expression where he can use an animal? No benefit of the doubt is deserved. He should have been banned for the "she's like a dog" anyway!

Pretty weird to get so worked up for someone who's disrespectful about skaters himself. Calm down already again, this expression really isn't anything bad. Just use the ignore list and that's it...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Pretty weird to get so worked up for someone who's disrespectful about skaters himself. Calm down already again, this expression really isn't anything bad. Just use the ignore list and that's it...

Saying an ur triple is not a triple is not disrespectful! The points reflect it's not a triple. There was a time when there was no < or << but now they exist to indicate non triple. A poster has gone from saying Julia is a dog, Julia is a squid, then pulls this horse saying all coincidentally and innocently? That's just being too nice!

I also want to know and call out people who compare Julia or any skater to a dog or squid or horse.

hanca

Record Breaker
Yes we will! My wish came true and she got a Senior B: Ondrej Nepela! along with Polina K. I am so excited about this, I was afraid that the russian fed will forget about her this season.
Martyusheva and Rogonov will also skate here.And Sinitsina&Zhiganshin. No russian men.

I am wondering whether this was meant so that both Korobeynikova and Gosviani fight against each other for the last Russian GP spot (the one that is TBC). Based on last years results Gosviani would deserve it more than Korobeynikova, but Korobeynikova already has already one GP event and Gosviani doesn't have any, so it may make a sense to give Korobeynoka second one (though there is no way she could get to GPF, so it probably doesn't really matter).

hanca

Record Breaker
Saying an ur triple is not a triple is not disrespectful! The points reflect it's not a triple. There was a time when there was no < or << but now they exist to indicate non triple. A poster has gone from saying Julia is a dog, Julia is a squid, then pulls this horse saying all coincidentally and innocently? That's just being too nice!

You are mistaken. The jump is still marked as a triple, but has a bit value of it deducted because it is a bit faulty. But it still remains triple. It starts with the base value of triple and on scoring sheet it is listed as a triple.