2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
very sad so Stepanova/Bukin gets only 1 GP as well as Sinitsina/Zhiganshin :disapp:
I did read recently Bukin fell ill and they may not be in top form this season

but to invest in Monko/Khaliavin , really ? :unsure:
I mean they have good programs this season but they have the same height, no future whatsoever, what did M/K achieve ?

S/Z and S/B are Junior World Champions !

Monko/Khaliavin are also junior world champions (2011).

Also M/K had a great showing at WTT, finishing third behind Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Most likely they did so because of his injury.

I also wonder where Konstantin is on the substitute list. Like USFSA choosing Rippon over Brown, this might be strategic because they think the Konstantin could get another assignment anyway if someone withdraws.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Adelina finished ahead of Liza at both Euros and Worlds -the two biggest events at their year. They were back-to-back in terms of placement at these events, but to say she was 'totally' inferior to Liza is not backed up by the results at the two most important competitions of the year for them.

Yeah but Adelina lost the free skates to Liza at both events! So they were almost exactly equal in scores! You add Liza beating her in Russian nationals and beating her in gp points Liza was better! And Julia was really better too! She was the lead in gp points and then world jr silver medalist! Julia was successful when Liza and Adelina were embarrassing! Julia was in better shape then Adelina and Liza all season and Julia had a concussion in the middle of her season!

So.. making the GPF, which reflects early season form, is your sole criteria for saying who was clearly better between Liza and Adelina and not placements at Euros and Worlds where they were head to head. Interesting :rolleye:

No I say above I include the whole season! and even if it was just 2013 Liza beat Adelina twice in free skates!

Mirunna

Record Breaker

Also M/K had a great showing at WTT, finishing third behind Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje.

This, and they finished ahead of S/Z at nationals and were even third in the SD. Plus, I am sure that since Zhulin did wonders with B/S, people trust him with M/K and so far, they are on the right track. Not to mention they looked very good at the open skates :love:
S/Z are still with Kustarova who probably is not the Federation's favorite coach after almost ruining B/S's career. And S/B, they are too young and it was not enough room for them at the moment, which is sad, but they will have their time to shine, I am sure

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
This, and they finished ahead of S/Z at nationals and were even third in the SD. Plus, I am sure that since Zhulin did wonders with B/S, people trust him with M/K and so far, they are on the right track. Not to mention they looked very good at the open skates :love:
S/Z are still with Kustarova who probably is not the Federation's favorite coach after almost ruining B/S's career. And S/B, they are too young and it was not enough room for them at the moment, which is sad, but they will have their time to shine, I am sure

they must be blinded then by Zhulins because M/K have the same height,
S/B have great potential too bad about Bukin's recent illness, he seems to get sick every often
but they should be given at least another GP or S/Z sure they are with Kustarova but if they get terrible results from their GPs again
I'm sure they'll be packing their bags away from Kustarova

S/B and S/Z are also JGPF gold medalists

siela

On the Ice
S/B have great potential too bad about Bukin's recent illness, he seems to get sick every often
but they should be given at least another GP or S/Z sure they are with Kustarova but if they get terrible results from their GPs again
I'm sure they'll be packing their bags away from Kustarova

S/B and S/Z are also JGPF gold medalists

M/K are also JGPF gold medalists. Twice. In 2009 and 2010. Unlike two other couples.

siela

On the Ice
I/K won JGPF not M/K :rolleye:
I recall them getting a bronze

their height similarity is very distracting, imo

You are wrong. In 2009-2010 season I/K won Junior Worlds (and M/K were third).
But M/K won JGPF (I/K were 2nd then).

So M/K did win JGPF twice.

Country
Russia

At 2010/2011 they also won both JGP Events and JGP Final.

They in fact lose season 2011/2012 because of illness of Khaliavin (took place only in Nationals, 5th place).
So 2012/2013 season was "season of restoring".

hanca

Record Breaker
At 2010/2011 they also won both JGP Events and JGP Final.

They in fact lose season 2011/2012 because of illness of Khaliavin (took place only in Nationals, 5th place).
So 2012/2013 season was "season of restoring".

I am glad they are restored. :) I am starting to get bored with Riazanova/Tkachenko, so the stiffer the competition for the third spot is, the better for Russian ice dance. Let them push each other.

Mirunna

Record Breaker

So? If they can manage doing their elements fine despite the height similarity what is the problem? Is there any rule that forbids skaters to have similar height? The reality is that they are very accomplished skaters (winning everything on the junior circuit and the JGPF twice as other mentioned) who had bad luck with Khavalin's injury in their first senior year but who made big improvements in their skating the next season. They beat S/Z at nationals, they finished the season on a high note at WTT and looked great at the open skates. I see no reason why S/Z or S/B should be chosen instead of M/K. Even on the season best category, M/K win in front of S/Z (I won't take into consideration S/B's season best because as we saw year after year, the junior's scores drop a lot on the senior circuit so it's not fair to compare them). M/K and S/Z met many times and the only time S/Z beat them was at 2012 Rostelecom Cup
Oh and by the way I like all 3 teams, pretty much equally at this point. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

IleK

On the Ice
I am socked with Loenova's LP music. Carmen?? This can't be happening. And the SP sounds so interesting. Morozov is killing us with Carmen for Leonova and Swan Lake for Elena&Nikita. If it's not too late they should just ran away as far as they can get from this guy. Why all the good and talented russians have to stay and train in Russia with russian coaches? I would really like to see Elena&Nikita, Adelina, Liza and Julia training somewhere else, trying something new.
So we have 3 Carmen girls: Adelina, Alena and Samantha Cesario. At least the last two have very little chance to go to the Olympics. And I am really scared of just picturing Alena doing Carmen.
I am thrilled about Gosviani getting the TBA but I hope she will take advantage of this opportunity and not ruin it. I still don't understand how she will be able to compete in both Ondrej Nepela and Finlandia which take place in the same time.

hanca

Record Breaker
I am shocked not by the fact that she chose Carmen, but by choosing Carmen although she knew that Sotnikova has it. Surely she must realise that she and Sotnikova would be compared and she may not get out of this comparison looking better. I think Carmen quite suits to Sotnikova so it will be disadvantage to Leonova. Couldn't she find something that suits her? Something like her Witches program? Mind you, it probably doesn't matter, if she didn't get her jumps back (or fixed her head or whatever was wrong with her the last season). If she skates like last season, we won't have to worry about seeing two Russian Carmens at any ISU championships.

bluesky85

On the Ice
I am shocked not by the fact that she chose Carmen, but by choosing Carmen although she knew that Sotnikova has it. Surely she must realise that she and Sotnikova would be compared and she may not get out of this comparison looking better. I think Carmen quite suits to Sotnikova so it will be disadvantage to Leonova. Couldn't she find something that suits her? Something like her Witches program? Mind you, it probably doesn't matter, if she didn't get her jumps back (or fixed her head or whatever was wrong with her the last season). If she skates like last season, we won't have to worry about seeing two Russian Carmens at any ISU championships.

I agree. But I wonder if Alena actually knew Sotnikova's program would be Carmen before she chose it for herself....

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
well M/K have trouble with their overhead lifts because she is too tall
Leonova is probbaly just skating for herself now, she probably knows she wont make the Olympics team roster

still gutted M/K gets 2 GP spots while S/Z and S/B gets one :mad:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. But I wonder if Alena actually knew Sotnikova's program would be Carmen before she chose it for herself....

She knew but had a burning desire to skate to it anyway. She said their Carmens are different b/c Sotnikova's is more modern but her's more classical.

Country
Russia
I am glad they are restored. :) I am starting to get bored with Riazanova/Tkachenko, so the stiffer the competition for the third spot is, the better for Russian ice dance. Let them push each other.
Russia for three seasons had the same three leaders - B/S, I/K, R/T. They got all the Nationals medals and all ISU Championships spots.

Adding fourth pretender is very good.