2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events

hanca

Record Breaker
Can anyone explain to me why the Russian Federation are going to waste one JGP slot? For the next event there is only Medvedeva, and they have so many good ones to send... Why do you bother with nominating substitutes if they don't get send anyway when the slot becomes available? Or why Yushenko didn't get the slot that is going to get wasted this weekend? And why Kaiumova still has second slot, while Ogoreltseva doesn't have her second slot despite finishing second in her first event? Perhaps they are going to swap Yushenko for Kaiumova in the last event?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Can anyone explain to me why the Russian Federation are going to waste one JGP slot? For the next event there is only Medvedeva, and they have so many good ones to send... Why do you bother with nominating substitutes if they don't get send anyway when the slot becomes available? Or why Yushenko didn't get the slot that is going to get wasted this weekend? And why Kaiumova still has second slot, while Ogoreltseva doesn't have her second slot despite finishing second in her first event? Perhaps they are going to swap Yushenko for Kaiumova in the last event?

all the substitutes are probbaly not ready like Stavitskaya and Gerasimova
Ogoreltseva will get a second JGP slot probably replcement for Kayumova who is a non factors, Yuschenko just recently did well in national meets so it must have been too late to put her on the list, there is also Li who has a JGP despite not doing well in recent Russian competition finishing 6th

other 1 time season skaters like Titushkina, Gerasimova last season have probably retired
or at least Tiushkina has

hanca

Record Breaker
all the substitutes are probbaly not ready like Stavitskaya and Gerasimova
Ogoreltseva will get a second JGP slot probably replcement for Kayumova who is a non factors, Yuschenko just recently did well in national meets so it must have been too late to put her on the list, there is also Li who has a JGP despite not doing well in recent Russian competition finishing 6th

other 1 time season skaters like Titushkina, Gerasimova last season have probably retired
or at least Tiushkina has

But if Ogoreltseva (who was put there as substitute) got the spot, in the meantime someone else would be able to replace Kaiumova later on, when they are ready. Why waste it? Or even if they had to send someone who is 'not ready', in Russian terms not ready would probably mean something like 7th place as opposed to medalling. Why rather waste the spot than sending someone who may be slightly weaker?

Titushkina retired? Since when? I haven't heard anything.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What do you mean by that, Alex Russ? are you saying that anyone under the age of 14 can't compete at Russian senior nationals, or are you saying that they won't be able to qualify through the JGPF? If you mean that no one under the age of 14 can attend Senior nationals, then Agafonova and Zaseeva have a good chance because there are not that many 'older' skaters there.

We can look at the link I posted above (post 496) and see how many of the girls who qualified ahead of Agafonova and Zaseeva will not be able to take part this year.

Maksimova is the youngest skater who finished ahead of Agafonova but she turned 14 in February. Between Agafonova and Zaseeva only Lebedeva may not be old enough, she was born in 1999 but there is no month/day listed. All the rest of the girls are 15 and older. So it's not looking good but there is still a 2nd event but I'm not holding my breathe especially if only age eligible girls are allowed to compete. Oh well.....

IleK

On the Ice
I don't think there is such a rule. Adelina won senior national championships when she was only 12 years old. Liza also competed in senior nationals at that age.

hanca

Record Breaker
Last year there were some other very young skaters in senior nationals (Sakhanovitch, Ogoreltseva etc). But AlexRus says that it's a new rule for this season. So the irony is that some of those who were allowed to compete in seniors last season won't be allowed to compete in seniors any more until they are 14. On one side I think it's a pity, but I can understand the reason behind that. It must be difficult to have the majority of ladies in seniors age ineligible for Europeans/worlds. Then you have no one to send to those important competitions. Then you may have to send a skater who placed 4th and 6th as it was a few years ago.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it's a good rule. It looks bad when you send skaters to Euros and Worlds who were beaten at their Nationals by a skater not eligible for another 4 years.

IleK

On the Ice
Last year there were some other very young skaters in senior nationals (Sakhanovitch, Ogoreltseva etc). But AlexRus says that it's a new rule for this season. So the irony is that some of those who were allowed to compete in seniors last season won't be allowed to compete in seniors any more until they are 14. On one side I think it's a pity, but I can understand the reason behind that. It must be difficult to have the majority of ladies in seniors age ineligible for Europeans/worlds. Then you have no one to send to those important competitions. Then you may have to send a skater who placed 4th and 6th as it was a few years ago.
Then I also agree it is a good rule. Figure skating must be something more than just a game of tiny bodies. So I don't think it is fair when a 12 years old beats a 20 years old. Because the 20 years old girl can't do the tricks anymore. I thought they also changed the rule for the senior grand prix. But when I look at Radionova competing there it is as if nothing has changed. And I love Radionova.

hanca

Record Breaker
They did change the rule for senior GP, but only from the season after Olympics.

To be honest, I don't mind if 12 years old compete against 20 years old. Yes, they do have the advantage of being lighter and having tinier bodies, but then again they have disadvantage of not having the maturity and the skating skills, so it balances itself out. This is a sport and it will never be completely fair. One could argue that it is not fair that some 16-17 years old is competing against 30 year old because the older skaters would have more injuries, stiffer joints and everything gets harder at that age. So if it is considered fair that you may compete against someone half your age (16 y.o. against 32 years old), then I think it is fair that 12 years old are competing against 20 years old.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Titushkina retired? Since when? I haven't heard anything.

Titushkina hasnt been training since her injury last years fall
I guess she is heading the Shershak, Sheveleva route who are retired

some of this skaters wont make big nationally anyways
Gersimova, Titushkina etc. were bound to retire, its a wonder Agafonova hans't retired despite placing 7-9th in national competitions

I think this 14 years old rule is better, those 12 year old wonders some wont be the same in 2 years and wont probably make another nationals
so this year only Medvedeva can compete from the current JGP skaters, Proklova, Sakhanovich, Sotskova cannot

men wont be affected much in JGP, Petrov is 14, Pitkeev and Samarin just turned 15

oleada

Record Breaker
Skaters who are under 14 can't compete as a senior internationally even the season after the nationals is held, so I think it's fair.

hanca

Record Breaker
some of this skaters wont make big nationally anyways

The majority skaters won't be able to make it big. Even some of the super talented. If you realise that you have max 3 skaters per country for Europeans and worlds and they have already Sotnikova, Tuktamisheva, Lipnitskaia, Radionova, Medvedeva, Proklova, Sakhanovich, Sotskova, Ogoreltseva.... someone is is going to be staying at home, no matter how good they are (I mean when they are eligible). Even with puberty and injuries, it seems that there will be more of them than is needed, so someone will miss out.

its a wonder Agafonova hans't retired despite placing 7-9th in national competitions

Maybe she is looking around wondering which country she could skate for. I wouldn't blame her. I think my country is in serious need of a lady skater (and a man, and a pair) who can jump.

hanca

Record Breaker
I wonder what's going on with Kosygina - Moroshkin. Last season they had pretty decent results, 2nd and 2nd at JGP, 6th at JGPF, 2nd junior nationals, and 6th at junior worlds. Now they placed 4th at JGP. I expected better.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Kosigina & Moroshkin had very appealing dances last season. Not sure if they really showed evolution so far this season. I like them and I think they have a good presence on the ice but they really need to gear up otherwise it will be hard for them to deal with so much national competition.
About their result at the ISU JGP maybe they aren't on form yet? An injury we don't know about? :/

Country
Russia
I think this 14 years old rule is better, those 12 year old wonders some wont be the same in 2 years and wont probably make another nationals
so this year only Medvedeva can compete from the current JGP skaters, Proklova, Sakhanovich, Sotskova cannot
Skaters who are younger than 14 have their Nationals - Junior Nationals 22-25 Jan 2014, qualifying competition to JrWorlds.
I brelieve, some skaters will be both at Senior and Junior Nationals - Medvedeva, Radionova (they are not age eligible for Senior ISU Championships), other JrWorlds medalists who will not qualify to Euro.

And this limitation is only for singles.
Pairs and Dance have not age limit and may as previous seasons compete both as Seniors and Juniors at Events of Russian Cup.

hanca

Record Breaker

How can you say that? I think if you look into it carefully, you may find out that the majority of Russian skaters who qualified at 12 were also able to skate the next year and the next... Sotnikova, Tuktamysheba, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Medvedeva, they all qualified for senior nationals at 12 and then every year since then, ...and if it was still allowed then there would be also Sakhanovich, Proklova and Sotskova. So saying that in 2 years time they won't qualify for another nationals is not based on the truth. Yes, Sakhanovich, Proklova and Sotskova won't be able to, but not because they would not be good enough to qualify, but only because they changed the rules and they are not allowed now. I do think it is a pity.