Which skaters do you want to come back for the Olympic season ? | Golden Skate

Which skaters do you want to come back for the Olympic season ?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I know maybe this won't happens but I really wish that thoses skaters comeback for the Olympic season, it would make Nationals competition more exiting to watch!! :popcorn:

So, I hope that some of thoses skaters decide to comeback, it would be amazing :yay: :

Cynthia Phaneuf (I wish that she comeback and finish her career in a good note, even if she doesn't make the Olympic team, I wish to see her happy of herself and her accomplishment)
Mira Leung ( For the same reason, like Phaneuf, I wish that she present herself like a woman who is proud of her career and finish in better way than she did)
Emanuel Sandhu (because he is a wonderful artist and I like his unique style on the ice)
Shawn Sawyer ( because he is such an amazing skater who own the ice and is entertainment)
Jeffrey Buttle ( He is capable of comeback, I think he has all his triple jump and his strenght is his artistry)
Sasha Cohen (A wonderful skater who can rival Yu-Na Kim if only she skate 2 clean performance in a competition, and also, she is the music when she skate, I miss her a lot)
Michelle Kwan ( She is beautiful to watch, I miss her skating)
Laura Lepistö ( Because I find that she quit figure skating to soon, and doesn't have accomplish her best. To me she could have been better in other season after that she won the bronze medal at the 2010 world)

What about us, which skaters do you want to comeback and why ?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I see a distinct A canadian flavour. Funny, I would love to see Mira Leung reach her full potential without her mother and just do it. i would love to see Emanuel Sandhu and Jeffrey Buttle. I actually think Buttle could comeback sans quad but it might be hard to medal unless he skated clean and others made a couple of errors. I do think Michelle kwan and Sasha Cohen are nice choices but less realistic (as though any of these are) due to age and where they are in life. But we saw some hope last year in Sandhu imagine with a real coach, real practice, etc. I would love Dubreil and Lauzon a team that sadly never got an Oly medal or world title to comeback and Johnny Weir just to create some fun. I would love to see him do battle on and off the ice with Evan. It would be nice to see Dube and Davison come back but that truly isn't happening.

Buttle is such an artist but I don't think he was appreciated enough - he was overshadowed wrongfully by Lambiel. I would love to see Sandhu skate for himself and leave it all on the ice - heart, soul and tear. Mira needs to show she can do it for herself; I wonder if she had the proper coaching and support what she could have done. Somehow she was a skater who got lost and never found her way. I wouldn't mind seeing Emily Hughes to see all that she can be too. Oh and Joannie Rochette - i would love to see her fight back and skate the skate of her life.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I don't think Sasha at her best, in 2006, could rival either 2010 or 2013 Yuna. The artistry is there, but Sasha would fall far behind on TES without a consistent 3-3 or 2A-3T.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Joannie is the first one that comes to mind. I would love for her to make a comeback and I think she actually could do well.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I would love to see Sandhu skate for himself and leave it all on the ice - heart, soul and tear.

:yes::yes:
As for Jeffrey, Stephane and Shizuka, while I LOVE them to comeback and believe pretty much 'do-able' for them, I remember they talked about not much liking competitions back in the days, and feeling more peace and joy with their show skating now.
The one skater I want to see making a comeback is Matt Sovoie. Were he to be born, say, 8-10 years later, he must have been much much more appreciated and become the great champion a number of times under today's CoP skating! :)

Hey, now that jockey Gary Stevens has come back from a seven-year layoff at the age of 50 and has just won the Preakness, this thread is suddenly sounding a lot more realistic. :)

I agree that Ilia, Buttle, and Shizuka have maintained their skills beautifully enough to be competitive; in a dream world, they could take a vacation from their satisfying lives as performers (and in Ilia's case, family man and the head of a new ice center), and we'd all have a grand viewing experience. And gee, Michelle could train and....sigh; it's a lovely dream.

But in the cold light of reality, I think the best chance is probably Joannie, and I'd love to see it.

RABID

Final Flight
I used to be such a fan of hers but MY nerves just couldn't take it anymore which is sad because I missed her silver medal performance. Sasha got me running away from figure skating. Yu-na brought me back. Tom Wolf once wrote a book about astronauts called, "The Right Stuff". Essentially ALL things are accounted for in determining who has, the right stuff. Tom Wolf would say that, though a very good skater, Sasha didn't have the right stuff to skate with someone like Yu-na, at least not competitively.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I assume you mean mental fortitude and competitive toughness in respect to Sasha and not having "friends" like Tonya Harding lol.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hey, now that jockey Gary Stevens has come back from a seven-year layoff at the age of 50 and has just won the Preakness, this thread is suddenly sounding a lot more realistic. :)

I agree that Ilia, Buttle, and Shizuka have maintained their skills beautifully enough to be competitive; in a dream world, they could take a vacation from their satisfying lives as performers (and in Ilia's case, family man and the head of a new ice center), and we'd all have a grand viewing experience. And gee, Michelle could train and....sigh; it's a lovely dream.

But in the cold light of reality, I think the best chance is probably Joannie, and I'd love to see it.

I am not sure Ilia or Shizuka could compete but Buttle has all his tricks it appears still. Joannie would have to start training madly now but she seems to have all her jumps; mayb eneed some work on them but remember she has all the triples but the triple axel - not too many ladies can say that.

shine

Record Breaker

Buttle is such an artist but I don't think he was appreciated enough - he was overshadowed wrongfully by Lambiel.
How so? Lambiel was consistently attempting and sometimes landing 2 quads in the long program while Jeff did not have one (and his 3axel was wildly inconsistent). I would say Jeff was one of the very first great benefactors of COP where many of his technically subpar performances won important medals due to the strength of the PCS (in particular, the transitions) alone. I have great respect for Jeff's body of work, but for someone who had easily one of the weakest jumping abilities amongst the medal contenders in the 2000s (and I think he also wasn't one of the most powerful skaters), I'd say Jeff had VERY remarkable placements and an outstanding career overall.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Buttle was appreciated just the proper amount. He had no quad and was inconsistent on axels so the tech wasn't there. He Used the system very well in 2008 to win world champ and if he kept his axels consistent- a big long shot he could have won everything from 2008 to Vancouver but he knew that the axels was lightening striking. But even he thought he would need quads in in Vancouver. But he got really far and got all the points he could and dealt with some minor backlash over no quads in his 2008 win.

I love Buttle but agree about his jumping strength. Lambiel didn't really have a triple axel either, but he did have one or two quads, and he had just as much flair and musicality as Buttle. I'm thrilled that both these guys have continued skating as pros, where they can really exploit their talent for conveying music and an emotional narrative. Having them both to watch, at least on YouTube, takes some of the sense of loss out of the fact that Michelle didn't spend any time as a pro. (Not that I begrudge her wonderful second career, but it would have been so grand to see her skate without constraints for at least a year or two.) I consider us lucky to have had two such stylish, artistically mature skaters active at just about the same time in eligible skating.

shine

Record Breaker
I love Buttle but agree about his jumping strength. Lambiel didn't really have a triple axel either, but he did have one or two quads, and he had just as much flair and musicality as Buttle.
I totally agree with your post but must point out that Lambiel has successfully landed quite a few triple axels in major competitions (e.g. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Worlds) and did not entirely abandon the jump until the last 1.5 or so seasons of his competitive career due to injuries that pretty much plagued most of his career.