Max Aaron: "I'm shooting for Olympic gold" (per IN, May 21) | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron: "I'm shooting for Olympic gold" (per IN, May 21)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Max Aaron has a sense of style for his skating, it's just a lot more Elvis Sotjko-ish than John Curry. LOL!

True, but at least he's not insisting on how 'manly' he is every hour on the hour.

I watched his interview on TSL and he comes across as clear-headed about his strengths and weaknesses, chatty (my goodness he was chatty!), and likable. I do think Carmen is all wrong for him, but I'm hoping to pleasantly surprised.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
I especially enjoy Max's candor. By acknowledging areas where he knows that he still needs to develop, it provides perspective on what his goals are as he trains.

He must be enjoying this year, given how much he had given of his life to this point, without that much in return. It's pretty amazing that a defending US Men's champion will be making his Grand Prix circuit DEBUT!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Didn't another of the US skaters used to do it a few years ago? Weiss, wasn't it, who always mentioned his wife and children at every available opportunity.

In the case of both Weiss and Lysacek it is the television people who kept harping on their girlfriend/wife. Every time Lysacek competed they had their dedicated "pretty girl in the stands" camera trained on Tanith. :)

As for Michael Weiss, especially as a pro, the sponsors of the telecasts (Smuckers Jams and Jellies, Musselman's Applesauce,etc.) liked to put on family-oriented ads with Michael and his family.

Max Aaron may not talk about his girlfriends himself, but if anything comes of his friendship with Gracie Gold I bet that will be all in our face going forward. :laugh:

Robeye

Final Flight
In the case of both Weiss and Lysacek it is the television people who kept harping on their girlfriend/wife. Every time Lysacek competed they had their dedicated "pretty girl in the stands" camera trained on Tanith. :)

As for Michael Weiss, especially as a pro, the sponsors of the telecasts (Smuckers Jams and Jellies, Musselman's Applesauce,etc.) liked to put on family-oriented ads with Michael and his family.

Max Aaron may not talk about his girlfriends himself, but if anything comes of his friendship with Gracie Gold I bet that will be all in our face going forward. :laugh:

"Girlfriends"? As in more than one? You trying to stir up controversy for page-views, Mathman? :laugh:

dardar1126

On the Ice
Just when I thought I couldn't love Max more than I already do...I DO! What a great TSL interview...so open, so honest, so revealing. :bow:

Yes, he does sound very inspired to skate his Carmen program; he understands the doubters, but really wants to make it his own. And he's right that there is so much beautiful music in Carmen (it's a long opera, people! ) that never gets used, so I'm glad that he and Lori are excerpting some of the less familiar sections.

And he said his SP will be fun and "sassy" - can't wait to see what it is!!

The story about the rings was adorable! He got his World Team ring...now the only two rings he really wants are an Olympic ring and a wedding ring...how sweet is THAT?!? <3 And it was touching to hear him speak of wanting that Team USA jacket so much, and working hard to get it.

I didn't know that he'd competed in short-track speed skating...he certainly had/has the right body type for it, and we've certainly seen how much speed he can generate.

I love that he is so analytical about his training, his skating, how to build a program, etc. He's a very smart, very thoughtful person. And I like what he said about approaching each new experience with the thought of what can he learn from the situation, like how to handle different audience and performance factors, etc. He's very goal-oriented.

I'm also impressed by how many times he referenced his parents, and how he wants to make them proud. He is a very good son who realizes how much his parents have done for him in his life in general, and in regards to supporting him in his skating. Heck, they bought a second home in a different state so that he and his sister could train!

I am so impressed with Max in every way. :rock:

EDIT: Just remembered that he said he'd wanted to skate to Carmen since he first heard it at the age of nine...and that he'd also like to skate to The Nutcracker.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Max Aaron did a benefit show over the weekend for a friend of Gracie Gold's in the Chicago suburbs. A lot of charisma! Fast skating, nice jumps for the show program he did. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max Aaron did a benefit show over the weekend for a friend of Gracie Gold's in the Chicago suburbs. A lot of charisma! Fast skating, nice jumps for the show program he did. :)

Great to hear! I hope you had a good time. :)

I just had to post this pic from their beach trip. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hello, Mr Aaron. :love:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'd be more excited if Max had started working with Christopher Dean about 5 years ago. I don't know how drastically you can instill grace and smoothness in someone in a few short months.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd be more excited if Max had started working with Christopher Dean about 5 years ago. I don't know how drastically you can instill grace and smoothness in someone in a few short months.

He really can't win with some people, can he? :rolleye:

He's never going to be Jason Brown or Jeremy Abbott. And you know what? That's FINE. Perfectly fine. I would hate to see everyone trying to skate from the same cookie-cutter format. Max's style isn't pretty, but it's fun, and it's HIS.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
He really can't win with some people, can he? :rolleye:

He's never going to be Jason Brown or Jeremy Abbott. And you know what? That's FINE. Perfectly fine. I would hate to see everyone trying to skate from the same cookie-cutter format. Max's style isn't pretty, but it's fun, and it's HIS.

No one ever said he would skate like Jason Brown or Jeremy Abbott. There are different styles to which one could call graceful and/or smooth. Maybe Max is starting to develop his own kind.

But just let it go, man. Let it go. Small disagreements really aren't worth getting frustrated over.