GP assigments 2013/2014 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

GP assigments 2013/2014

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Mao is a most "vulnerable" skater out of Top Three-if she skates like she did at WTT, she is definitely not winning gold-even if it's NHK Trophy(unless every other skater skates with huge mistakes all over the place, too).

I agree but she was in visible pain at WTT. She barely finished the LP.
I can't wait for the next season. I honestly hope Yuna, Caro and Mao will win their GP events with conviencing skates. Imagine the build up to the GPF, not to mention Sochi

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't really understand why H/D got only 1 slot and meanwhile Aldridge/Eaton got a slot. To me it would make more sense for A/E to get the third SA slot and give H/D another assignment.

As medalists at Junior Worlds, Aldridge/Eaton were guaranteed one assignment.

It sucks that we never get to see the top skaters really go head-to-head until the Final. Mao, Yu-Na and Carolina are all at separate events.

Separating them by design makes sense to me -- to "spread the wealth" in terms of marquee skaters, and to keep the qualification process for the GPF as fair as possible.

Hicks, Wang, Miller and Keiser should stay Junior...

Wang is assigned to compete at JGP Latvia.
Keiser at JGP Slovakia.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Is Courtney Hicks staying a junior? After placing 4th at nationals I'd figure she'd get at least one spot...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Is Courtney Hicks staying a junior? After placing 4th at nationals I'd figure she'd get at least one spot...
Well, I think that the fight is between her and Cesario for the TBA SA spot, but if Courtney competes at SA she doesn't have any medal chance (Asada, wagner, radionova, even Liza would 99% beat her) and she can't compete in the JGP, so I think that (since Radionova and Pogo aren't competing in the JGP) winning a couple of JGP medals and finally qualifying for the JGPF is better for her... (and, I love Cesario so I would love to see her having at least one GP) :biggrin:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Looks like there will be a lot of competition for that final US slot at SA. There's some speculation that it might be held for Alissa depending on what she looks like coming off the summer.

Courtney has been a junior for, what?, three years now I think but I agree there would be no benefit in debuting this year. No one will be paying attention to the newbies, especially the American newbies. The battle lines for those three spots have already been drawn and Courtney, Samantha and anyone else whose name isn't Ashley (Wagner), Gracie, Agnes, Christina, Mirai or Alissa is not included.

I've noticed that the majority of the US girls are staying juniors which is smart IMO.

Country
Russia
Ladies:
- Leonova gets 2 spots?!?! Wow, the Russian fed is really holding out on her
No mystery at all.

As we know from inside info, order is as follows:
1. Two places for Top12 of Worlds.
2. One place for Top24 of Rating, Top24 of Season Best, for best juniors.
3. Look how many places are free and solving now to fill these places
- to give 2nd Event in order of Season Best (Men and Ladies at this season),
- or to give one place in order of Season Best (Ice Dance this season).

Two places in Ladies have Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (24 place of SB), Alena LEONOVA (25 place of SB), Viktoria HELGESSON (26 place of SB).
Only because of this Leonova has two places.
It is ISU solution, not RusFed - how to fill remaining spots.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting. Gold and Gao in particular have tough events. Wagner has to face Kim at TEB but otherwise has a moderate schedule.

I take it the TBD ladies slot at SA will be given to Czisny. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised CZhang got the second spot over her...

b-man

Final Flight
My initial impression for the ladies is SA, CoC, and TEB may have slightly weaker fields, while SC, NHK, and Rostelecom have deeper fields. With Wagner being in the weaker SA and TEB, she should have a pretty clean shot to the GPF. Gold is in the more competitive SC and NHK, and will have a tougher path to GPF. The fields look stronger this year. This is in part due to Kim and Kostner skating this year after sitting out the GP's last year. The addition of Radionova, who could be a real force, also makes the overall field stronger. I believe Gao, Nagasu and Zawadski all medaled last year. With the tougher field, all will need to bring their best skates to medal this year against the current assigments. But there were many withdrawals last year, so things could change between now and October.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun is the best Russian man on results of 2012/13 season.
He has highest Season Best of Russians.
He was 1st of Russians at all the Internationals of the season he took place.

Well he stopped being the best after the jrgpf. His skating in seniors was totally inferior to menshov especially. Once he was exclusively senior he was horrible! Just an embarrassment.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Wow...Skate America, Skate Canada and NHK Trophy are going to be no-mercy-from-god competitions for our J boys...Dai Taka Machida, Yuzuru Nobu Mura, then Dai Nobu Mura. :eek: They have to BEAT fellow skaters first then need to get onto podium in order to advance to GPF in Tokyo. And Dai has the hardest comps among all it seems...:slink: I just have to hope to skating god that they won't get burnt out and/or injured by the time Nats comes in late December. :bow:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of luck for Osmond defending her Skate Canada gold. That ladies lineup is tough, with Kim, Gold and Lipnitskaia.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Or maybe the Fed doesn't want to make the same mistake twice by punishing him the way they did with Gatchinski...just a thought. Menshov is old, frail, and injury-prone anyways. I doubt RuFed wants a repeat of WTT at the Olympics...

Maybe they should stop punishing someone who won world bronze? Or stop punishing because of age? Not let kovtun skate poorly over and over!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see SA wasted a US Ladies spot again just like last year with Flatt by giving Caroline a spot. Better to give it to someone with more potential like Samantha Cesario then a skater on her way out.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yeah Samantha Cesario really should have got that Skate America spot. Especially after getting screwed over at Junior Worlds, where she so completely deserved a medal.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Zhang/Bartholomay. I'm a little disappointed they only got 1 assignment. Most of the U.S. pairs assignments look okay, but I do question Simpson/Blackmer and Z/B both getting 1 slot instead of Z/B getting 2 slots. What is the rationale for giving Simpson/Blackmer a slot? They've been 10th the last 2 years at Junior Worlds, hardly an auspicious indication of senior success. I think it would have been better to give Z/B more exposure, just my 2 cents though.

Maybe Z/B will get the Skate America spot?

Also, Blackmer turns 22 in December, so Simpson/Blackmer can't go back to JGP.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Anyone know why Stepanova/Bukin only got one slot?

Also, yes Cesario should have gotten the 2nd spot at SA - why on earth would Zhang be worthy of it, since Cesario was completely screwed over in favor of arm waving Radionova at JW

b-man

Final Flight
I see Russia has 14 ladies spots (13 filled, 1 TBA), the US got 12 spots (11 filled, 1 TBA), and Japan got 9 spots.