Petition protesting the men's result at the 2013 WC sent to officials | Golden Skate

Petition protesting the men's result at the 2013 WC sent to officials

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
http://www.examiner.com/article/petition-protesting-skating-results-sent-to-top-officials

The ISU may rationalize the results any way they wish. But the skating speaks for itself and is there for the world to watch and assess, on video and on YouTube. When the results came up, skaters from around the world, such as three-time U.S. national champion Johnny Weir, sent angry tweets in consternation:

“This judging is ridiculous and the only reason people buy it is because it's in North America. Imagine the outcry if it were Russia.”

Bea

On the Ice
I can't believe what a mistake they made in the very first sentence: "A petition signed by nearly 1,000 skating fans, skaters, coaches, and skating officials from 29 different countries has been delivered today to the presidents of the International Skating Union and the International Olympic Committee — Mrs. Ottavio Cinquanta and Jacques Rogge." :rofl:

Bea

On the Ice
Ms. Freidlander meant "Messrs." ;)

Okay, I see. But is it right to write it this way? I have never come across this before and I'd really like to know. It somehow still seems a bit weird to me even if it is right. But it might be only me...

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes, "Messrs" is right - I've come across it often in Victorian novels.

ETA It's the plural of "Mr" - I suppose it stands for "messieurs"? And I just started to read the actual petition, and "Mrs" IS a funny typo. :)

It is formally correct (actually, overly formal) to say something like, "the doctors Smith and Jones" instead of Dr. Smith and Dr. Jones. Here the author mistakenly wrote "Mrs." as an intended plural for Mr. Mrs. is the title for a married lady.

I think any of these is OK:

Ottavio Cinquanta and Jacques Rogge (no title)

Mr. Ottavio Cinquanta and Mr. Jaques Rogge

Mr. Cinquanta and Mr. Rogge

Messrs. Ottavio Cinquanta and Jaque Rogge (rare except for formal invitations to the Queen's reception :) )

Also, the preceding dash should be a comma. ;)

(The grammar police withdraw now. :) )

clairecloutier

Final Flight
"Messrs" is not incorrect, but it is an outdated usage.

Friedlander errs later in the article by saying this is the first time nearly 1000 skating fans have protested an ISU action (or non-action) via petition. In fact, we had about 1700 signatures in 2011 on the petition demanding that Worlds 2011 be rescheduled in another city.

Nonetheless, I think this is a great petition/protest to the ISU about a really important issue.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Wasn't there also a protest over the Lithuanian team's non-bronze in dance a couple years ago?

^ I think that was a petition circulated among skaters, not for fans and the general public. (?)

mskater93

Record Breaker
I know the skaters DID protest, but I thought some fans were involved. It's been awhile...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I must be living under a rock, I did not even know that there was a petition. :scratch:

Thanks for the link.

snsd

On the Ice
People need to get over it and move on.

Stop being cry babies!

Patrick won.
His Technical scores are correct and justifiable with levels and GOE - PC are always subjective depending on the judge views.
The judges clearly thought he was better in PC on the day. It doesn't matter what fans or other skaters thing.
He works the system to end up on top.

It is still a deserving win and nothing will happen.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I don't understand the logic of this petition. It's great that fans are so passionate about the sport that they're willing to put in this sort of effort, but at the end of the day, it embarrasses both Patrick, who KNOWS he had a bad competition and that he barely held onto his title, and Denis, who was beyond elated to even be on the podium and who would have won had he not doubled the triple flip.

As long as no hard evidence of corrupt judging surfaces, it's time to put the issue to rest and focus on the upcoming season. What's done is done.