Siblings who share the skating "gene" | Golden Skate

Siblings who share the skating "gene"

ForeverFish

Medalist
I guess Gracie and Carly Gold could be another example of this sibling "gene." Although Gracie is the stronger skater and "famous" for her name, Carly has more than shown her stuff at regional and sectional competitions before, almost qualifying for US Nationals last season.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course there are the brother/sister pairs and dance teams...

The Kwans had two daughters skating.

The Owens from Boston were a family dynasty until the tragedy.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Aaron family

The Lorello family (from University of Delaware)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nelli Zhiganshina and Ruslan Zhiganshin

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. :) :thumbsup: More ...

Collin and Rockne Brubaker.

The Gilles family.

The Denneys.

The three Reeds [who, like Zhiganshina and Zhiganshin, even represent more than one country ;)].

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Viktoria and Joshi Helgesson seems to be most neck and neck among the siblings. Next season they will have to fight for the one spot to the Olympics.

Other skater siblings:
- Sinead Kerr/John Kerr (ice dance)
- Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (ice dance)
- Madison Hubbell and Keiffer Hubbell (used to ice dance together, she now competes w/ Zach Donohue)
- Hayes Alan Jenkins and David Jenkins (men singles)

Has someone mentioned the Duchesnays?

The Jelineks of Canada (originally Czechoslovakia) won the world pairs gold medal in 1962.

There was an American pair, Ron and Cynthia Kauffman, American pair, competed at the 1968 Olympics.

The Owens did particularly well, but with tragic outcome. Laurence was the Ladies' Singles U.S. champ the same year Maribel was the pairs champ with her partner. But it was 1961, and they and their mother were all on the plane that crashed. The entire family.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Twins Alissa and Amber Czisny.

Nelli Zhiganshina and Ruslan Zhiganshin

The three Reeds [who, like Zhiganshina and Zhiganshin, even represent more than one country ;)].

How about a pair of twins who both used to represent Great Britain, before going on to represent different countries:

Vanessa James (France) and Melyssa James (Britain)

And, for good measure, here is a video from 1998 of the James twins skating with each other... IN A COMPETITION:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbV-N0gWQWg

"Blades Of Glory", eat your heart out!!!

Or should that be "Sisters are doing it for themselves"...?! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Viktoria and Joshi Helgesson seems to be most neck and neck among the siblings. Next season they will have to fight for the one spot to the Olympics.

Other skater siblings:
- Sinead Kerr/John Kerr (ice dance)
- Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (ice dance)
- Madison Hubbell and Keiffer Hubbell (used to ice dance together, she now competes w/ Zach Donohue)
- Hayes Alan Jenkins and David Jenkins (men singles)

I had forgotten the Jenkins'. Now there's a excellent example. Both were OGM.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
"Blades Of Glory", eat your heart out!!!

:laugh:

And, wow, Vanessa James started skating when she was 11! That's pretty late, in terms of World Championship standard isn't it? Anyway, I love her skating and her and Morgan Cipres are great together IMO. :biggrin:

Anyway, the Moir family = Danny Moir (Scott's brother, ice dancer), and their cousins are Sheri (ice dancer & synchronised) & Cara Moir (synchronised).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wow, I am learning a lot from this thread. So many gems of information in the collective memory of GS members. :bow:

e.g.,
What a delicate situation for the Helgessons and their mother.
And I love the stuff about the James twins.

Going back to the Gilles family:
Occurs to me that the twins Piper and Alexe both are skating for Canada now instead of the U.S. That must be a unique scenario?
(Dunno if Todd has officially retired from skating.)​

p.s. Dylan Moscovitch and his sister used to be partners, right? ETA: Speaking of pairs, the Carruthers sibs.

There used to be a lot more sibling pairs skaters, especially in the U.S. Karol and Peter Kennedy were the first American world champs. These days the style of skating has changed enough, in both pairs and ice dancing, that music interpretation can be limited by the sibling relationship. So I imagine that brother-sister duos don't generally do as well in partner skating. Of course, there are always exceptions, such as the Kerrs.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And I love the stuff about the James twins.

You know that video I posted the link to. Well, I just had a look through that user's other videos, and there is another video of Vanessa and Melyssa skating together, but this time under the spotlights in 1999:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OWJ2IocsKc

Love the way that they are wearing different coloured dresses in this video, so that you can keep track of which twin is which! The only problem is, they don't tell us which twin is in which coloured dress!!! :laugh:

And, wow, Vanessa James started skating when she was 11! That's pretty late, in terms of World Championship standard isn't it?

Yeah, 11 is pretty late to start, given that we have 16 year olds competing for medals in singles skating.

But, I'm not sure if the title meant that that was the twins' first time in a competition, or their first time competing as a partnership. Like, they could have been skating on their own for a long time before that. And just remember that Vanessa in particular had a pretty successful career as a singles skater (British Senior Ladies Champion in 2006, no less)

At the end of the day, if you're good enough, you'll catch up quickly enough! ;) :biggrin:

Anyway, I love her skating and her and Morgan Cipres are great together IMO. :biggrin:

I too love Vanessa and Morgan skating together. But, I thought Vanessa and Yannick were good together as well. Haven't really decided yet which partnership I prefer, though. :unsure:

CaroLiza_fan

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Peter and Kitty were both adopted, so it was unusual they'd both be world class pair skaters. How close were they in age. Anyone know interesting factoids about them?