Who wins Olympic team event? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who wins Olympic team event?

LRK

Record Breaker
I think the question is why Gracie is a better FP skater - is it because she has got her nerves out of the way in the SP? And, if so, how would that effect her only skating a FP? (The same with Liza, really.)

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think the question is why Gracie is a better FP skater - is it because she has got her nerves out of the way in the SP? And, if so, how would that effect her only skating a FP? (The same with Liza, really.)

Well, at the competitions where Gracie has skated decently in the FS, I would have expected her to feel MORE pressure after the SP -- US Nationals (1 pop, 1 fall); Worlds (1 UR, one weird spin); and WTT (1 fall). I think she naturally feels more confident skating the FS, where the seven triples give her a golden (pun intended) opportunity to show off her stuff. In the SP, where just 3 jumping passes determine your halftime fate, she feels a greater pressure to make each of those perfect while not giving away any points in PCS.

And the Gracie we saw this season was not always solid under pressure (Worlds being an exception).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie was trying some different things in the SP early last season which were not necessarily as solid as what she put out later in the season (3F+3T, 3Lz Rippon --> 3F, 3Lz+3T) and the later in the season wasn't until 4CC. This year, the idea is to pick the elements and STICK WITH THEM throughout the season to make the SP as rock solid as the LP.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the winning team needs to win one of the four skating categories SP and LP. This will be hard possibly on Canada if they get unlucky and play say second in dance and third in men's singles. A bad skate by the pairs and Osmond and it is game over.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry to say but I have to agree what Mathman writes.

You know, Patrick is my boy, but he has a unique talent for trying to say the right thing, but then it comes out wrong. It seems like he is saying that the only reason he cares about the team competition is because finally we've got a lady who is not an albatross around our necks and we might actually win. :laugh:

Seriously, though, I wonder what skaters like Carolina Kostner and Cappillini & Lanotte, even Berton & Hotarek, feel about the whole thing.

Right... This is exactly what came up to mind, too, when I saw his comment. I feel for skaters from other countries, sans USA, Canada, Russia and France, that are going to participate at Team Event with three strong and/or decent enough categories and with ONE weaker/almost non-competitive level category. Because skaters representing these countries have no other choice but have to compete anyway before concentrating on their own discipline, and/or have no other co-skaters, e.g. Kevin for Patrick or Kavaguti/Sumirnov for Vol/Tra, to ask for replacing them, even though they know they have almost no chance for an Olympic medal to begin with, you know.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

“Seeing the team here, seeing extremely strong pairs, ice dance, men’s and ladies, I’m so, so pumped for the team event. I may have not been as excited before Kaetlyn [Osmond] came around, but now that I see her, we know have a whole package as a team right on time, so I’m very excited. If we win a gold medal as a team, can you imagine the energy we would create.”

You know, Patrick is my boy, but he has a unique talent for trying to say the right thing, but then it comes out wrong. It seems like he is saying that the only reason he cares about the team competition is because finally we've got a lady who is not an albatross around our necks and we might actually win. :laugh:

I thought the same thing! Well it's good to know he is in it for the medals, but not a fan of this quote... it's a bit of an insult towards Phaneuf and Lacoste. He does have a knack for putting his skate in his mouth, and this is yet another example. :rolleye: Granted, their chances at victory are far greater with Osmond, but the surging Canadian pairs will contribute to Canada's gold prospects moreso than Osmond, I'm betting.

I think the winning team needs to win one of the four skating categories SP and LP. This will be hard possibly on Canada if they get unlucky and play say second in dance and third in men's singles. A bad skate by the pairs and Osmond and it is game over.

Not necessarily. If Patrick finishes third behind, say, Hanyu/Takahashi and Joubert/Amodio, that won't matter as long as he places above Plushenko (who might not even be there) and the U.S. guy, presumably Aaron (not a threat to Patrick at this point, but you never know). The only thing Canada has to worry about is if, say, Wagner/Gold and Sotnikova/Tuktamyshiva go one-two while Asada, Kostner and Li push Osmond down the line.

CanadianSkaterGuy said:
Granted, their chances at victory are far greater with Osmond, but the surging Canadian pairs will contribute to Canada's gold prospects moreso than Osmond, I'm betting.

It's all about the spread of placements. Duhamel and Radford are a lock for second (possibly third in the SP if Germany fields a team). so the question is who else might squeeze in between D&R and the American team. Injury could also play a role. If Denny and Coughlin are not available for the U.S. there could be a big gap.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the key will be how much the Canadian pairs beat the US vs how much the American ladies beat the Canadians.

If Plushenko skates, and I hope he does... this becomes a three-way dogfight and it will be thrilling.

Conceivably, the Japanese could win both singles placements, and still not get a medal.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

And if he doesn't, others will surely help him to make it so.

It is clear to me he gives several reasons why he's pumped about the Olympic Team Event: It offers many skaters an opportunity for an additional Olympic medal, a second chance at the same Olympics and an instant experience for a first time participant as he was in 2010, and in his and his teammates' case, a realistic chance at an Olympic Gold Medal now that Canada has strong skater(s) in every discipline with Kaetlyn emerging into a top 10 Lady. And, possibly a great morale boost for the Canadian Team members in their individual events if they actually win a Team Gold. Sounds reasonable and natural to me.

The WTT is the opposite of the OTE as it offers no value or significance to an elite skater, yet incurring risks, especially after the peak event of Worlds Championships which is the end of the season for all skaters but the few WTT participants.

Seriously, though, I wonder what skaters like Carolina Kostner and Cappillini & Lanotte, even Berton & Hotarek, feel about the whole thing.

I am sure top skaters with no chance at a Team medal feel entirely differently from those from a strong team. OTOH, these skaters likely will only skate the SP.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think you are right. I found this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-chan-yearns-for-olympic-gold/article9854071/

Chan hungers after the Olympic medal that eluded him as a 19-year-old in Vancouver. He’s also very excited about the team figure skating competition, which will be debuting as a new medal event in Sochi, the first event of those Olympics. He said a home Games in Vancouver felt like a Super Bowl, and his second Olympics outside Canada will feel more like a conference championship, with less media hype.

“I wish they had that in Vancouver, and I could have made that Olympics a lot more positive experience for me if I had a chance to win another medal,” said Chan. “I didn’t grasp the 2.5 minutes of my short program there, and I’ll never get that back, and I didn’t get an Olympic medal. Think of how much of a boost that could have been for me to win a team medal there.

Thanks to MM for looking up what Chan has said about the Sochi team event.

Very good to know that Chan is excited about contributing to Canada's efforts in the team competition. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm sure this question has been covered, and the answer is probably obvious, but only skaters who end up competing get medals in the team event right? And the federation makes that call? So if Canada asks Chan to compete in both the SP and FS, Reynolds wouldn't get a medal, but if they split the event they would each get one?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... only skaters who end up competing get medals in the team event right? ...

Right.

6. MEDALS/AWARDS
The Teams ranked 1 to 3 will be awarded with the Olympic Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. Teams ranked 4 through 8 will receive an Olympic Diploma.
Only Skaters who competed in at least one segment of the Figure Skating Team Event will receive a medal respectively a diploma as applicable.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Right.

6. MEDALS/AWARDS
The Teams ranked 1 to 3 will be awarded with the Olympic Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. Teams ranked 4 through 8 will receive an Olympic Diploma.
Only Skaters who competed in at least one segment of the Figure Skating Team Event will receive a medal respectively a diploma as applicable.

Thanks for clarifying. I hope that teams maximize the number of athletes who can compete for a medal, not only because it'll give a break to skaters for their individual events but also give more athletes a chance at a medal.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would like someone like Reynolds for instance to get a gold medal if Canada wins, but unless Chan is having real problems with one of the two programs through the season- short or long, I dont see him getting a program to do. Canada wants that team gold badly, and there is just too big a gap in probable scoring of Chan and Reynolds even now (and yes I know it is placement, not score that matters, but a lower score in one program makes a lower placing and less points awared as a result more likely), and if it jeapordizes Team Canada's chances even a little bit, even if they still would probably win, then I just dont see them doing that. Even more obviously I highly doubt our 2nd women would get to do a program in place of Osmond. Can they use 2 pairs instead, I would think that is what Team Canada is more likely to do.

I think few countries in contention for a medal will switch up skaters unless they are close in ability. I could see Wagner and Gold switching and doing a program each. I could see the 2 U.S men perhaps. I could see both Russian ladies doing a program.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think the key will be how much the Canadian pairs beat the US vs how much the American ladies beat the Canadians.

If Plushenko skates, and I hope he does... this becomes a three-way dogfight and it will be thrilling.

Conceivably, the Japanese could win both singles placements, and still not get a medal.

I think the Canadian pairs can beat the US pairs any day, but the American ladies (presuming that Wagner and Gold are used in the TE) both have a significant leg up on Osmond (and whoever else Canada may decide to enter), as this season has shown. Call me biased, but I'm putting my money on Wagner/Gold beating Osmond and a possible second Canadian lady by a wider margin than that between the pairs teams.

Japan is really crippled by its lack of a world-competitive pairs team (and, to some extent, dance). Even with Mao, Akiko, Kanako, Daisuke, and Yuzu as possible skaters in the TE, they could (and probably will) still fall behind the US, Canada, and maybe Russia.

fairly4

Medalist
what i find interesting is that Patrick ripped the World Team Event, now he is excited about the Olympic Team event.
Canada had a great chance to win the gold for the team, didn't do it for whatever reason, Patrick complained about it stating he kinda didn't want to be there so now he is fired up regarding the olympic.

i not sure. it seems he is watching his words trying to make himself look/sound good for the olympics and make up for the flak about the world team event.

fairly4

Medalist
who wins depends on who goes and who skates in the sp/ free programs.
anything can happen in team.
wondering if hold up skaters who skate in both the team/individual. kinda of overlook small mistakes in individual if skates in team.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
what i find interesting is that Patrick ripped the World Team Event, now he is excited about the Olympic Team event.
Canada had a great chance to win the gold for the team, didn't do it for whatever reason, Patrick complained about it stating he kinda didn't want to be there so now he is fired up regarding the olympic.

i not sure. it seems he is watching his words trying to make himself look/sound good for the olympics and make up for the flak about the world team event.

I'm not a huge Patrick fan, but I can cut him some slack on viewing the Olympic Team Event as being a different animal altogether.

Granted, he should have kept his disparaging comments about WTT to himself. But surely we knowledgeable fans concede that these two events are not nearly the same in terms of prestige.

I think the Canadian pairs can beat the US pairs any day, but the American ladies (presuming that Wagner and Gold are used in the TE) both have a significant leg up on Osmond (and whoever else Canada may decide to enter), as this season has shown. Call me biased, but I'm putting my money on Wagner/Gold beating Osmond and a possible second Canadian lady by a wider margin than that between the pairs teams.

It is interesting to speculate about all the things that can happen. Since only placements, not CoP points, count in the end, when we say one skater can beat another by a wide margin this means that other skaters will insert themselves in between. For instance, V&S cannot separate themselves from D&R no matter how well they skate. Only S&S can help team Russia in pairs, assuming Germany even enters the competition.