Record Breaker
Skate DownUnder 2013: Aug 20-22 [Sydney, NSW, Australia]

Official announcement from Ice Skating Australia (8-page PDF):

An International Competition for
Junior and Senior Men, Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dance
Novice Men and Ladies
Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink

ENTRIES
- ISU Members may enter up to 4 competitors for each category in Ladies, Men, Pairs and Ice Dance and their substitutes.
- The entries must reach the Organiser by Saturday 20th July 2013 at the latest.​

Also:
@IceSkatingAUS is the new Twitter account for the federation.​

ETA, thanks to Doris for creating the Senior B sub-forum and moving this thread over there. :bow: :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Two crumbs of Skate DownUnder information (from an article that pertains mostly to O'Brien/Merriman):

- "... entries from Asia, Europe and South Africa ..." [North America not mentioned -- not surprisingly, I guess]

- "Also being decided at Skate Down Under will be the Olympic qualification place for the Ladies and Mens event, which will be hotly contested by Australia’s best figure skaters including Brooklee Han, Chantelle Kerry, David Kranjec and Brendan Kerry."​

Source:
Ice Dance champions Winter Olympic journey begins in their home rink.
August 7, 2013
http://www.burwoodscene.com.au/2013...er-olympic-journey-begins-in-their-home-rink/

(No entry lists at https://www.facebook.com/SkateDownUnder.
And no tweets from @SkateDownUnder since Jun 10. :eek:hwell:)

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
How frustrating. Less than two weeks to go and no details about the competitors or an actual schedule with practice and starting times.

If I were hosting an international event which is a first for Australia in some time, I'd be publicizing the heck out of it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How frustrating. Less than two weeks to go and no details about the competitors or an actual schedule with practice and starting times.

This just in ;): found a tentative schedule (as of Aug 1).

ETA:

- I should have mentioned earlier that the article cited above says, "Danielle and Greg compete at 5.30pm on Wednesday, 21 August and 6.15pm Thursday, 22 August."

- From Skate Down Under Facebook page:
August 5 at 9:43pm near Sydney, New South Wales
Please note that tickets will be available at the door during the event. $10 adults and $5 children. Please wear warm clothing and something comfy (cushions, etc.) to sit on as the rink gets quite cold this time of year. The canteen sells food and hot drinks as well
https://www.facebook.com/SkateDownUnder/posts/223150567839157

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm finding it very disappointing that there is no official entry list yet. However, one must always remember that the organisers are volunteers giving their time, and there must be plenty to organise in a way it's never been organised before. So I'm cutting them slack.

I'm glad there's finally ticket info. I was starting to get worried.

Mind you, cold, my rear end...I am looking forward to a nice week in balmy, warm, sunny Sydney.

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
And here is the entry list. A little thinner than I'm sure everyone would have hoped but a good field nevertheless - a mini-Nationals in most divisions, with some undoubtedly interesting additions.

http://www.isa.org.au/Results/SDU2013/index.htm

Thank you for the starting order.

Clara Peters from Ireland is a fun skater. She really knows how to sell a program.

Cheltzie Lee is not listed. Has she retired?

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
Cheltzie is going for her Master's degree at uni. I don't think we'll be seeing her again.

That makes sense. Her official website hasn't been updated in some time.

Lee can be very proud of her contribution to the sport as a 3 - time world team member and an Olympian.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That makes sense. Her official website hasn't been updated in some time.

Lee can be very proud of her contribution to the sport as a 3 - time world team member and an Olympian.

Of course! I will miss her skating. Very bright and bubbly. But Australia has a lot to look forward to as well.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Aren't there rules about how many international skaters there has to be at a "Senior B" competition to count it for ranking points? Because it doesn't look like there's many non-Aussie skaters.

Scout

Final Flight
Aren't there rules about how many international skaters there has to be at a "Senior B" competition to count it for ranking points? Because it doesn't look like there's many non-Aussie skaters.

You're right. There needs to be a minimum of 8 skaters representing 4 different countries for singles. See ISU communication 1629, section C 1.4

btw - I just realized that Chantelle and Brendan are siblings.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You're right. There needs to be a minimum of 8 skaters representing 4 different countries for singles. See ISU communication 1629, section C 1.4

Australia, Ireland, Malaysia, Phillipines. Four countries in Senior Men's and Ladies. Do the lower divisions count?

Scout

Final Flight
Australia, Ireland, Malaysia, Phillipines. Four countries in Senior Men's and Ladies. Do the lower divisions count?

I assumed that men and ladies were separate, but I'm not sure if this is explicitly stated anywhere in the rules. Points are awarded to top 5, so my interpretation was that you needed 8 ladies and 8 men, each with 4 nationalities represented. With only 5 entries in the ladies and 2 nationalities, they would all be guaranteed points.

Maybe someone who is more familiar with the rules than I am can comment.

Here is the section C 1.4 that I referenced:

C. ELIGIBLE EVENTS / COMPETITIONS AND POINT SYSTEM FOR A AND B
1.4 International Senior Competitions, provided there are minimum 8 single skaters, respectively 6
Ice Dance couples out of four ISU Members present respectively 5 Pairs out of three ISU
Members.

It only says "singles skates", and does not distinguish men from ladies, but the letter of the law is not the same as the spirit of the law. I haven't bothered reading the entire document to seek more clarification.

As for juniors/lower divisions - I do not think they are not eligible for points from competition aside from the JGP series and JW ("ISU Championships").

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
I hope the event is still valid and that it is judged as an international, allowing skaters who earn the minimum TES to pre-qualify for Four Continents and Worlds.

I believe that from an Australian perspective it should be very exciting as the top finisher in the senior ladies', dance, pairs and men's events will go to Nebelhorn to skate for an Olympic berth.

Country
Russia
I hope the event is still valid and that it is judged as an international, allowing skaters who earn the minimum TES to pre-qualify for Four Continents and Worlds.
And JrWorlds also.
It needs only to meet requrements to Officials (judges and Technical Panel).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If I were hosting an international event which is a first for Australia in some time, I'd be publicizing the heck out of it.

BTW, Skate Down Under issued three media releases on Aug 13:

Each is on a separate page within the PDF above. Keep scrolling down to see all three.
  • TOP ICE DANCERS RETURN HOME FOR OLYMPIC WARM UP
  • OLYMPIC SKATING PEDIGREE BROTHER AND SISTER FIGHT IT OUT FOR A CHANCE TO REPRESENT AUSTRALIA
    Brendan Kerry (18) and Chantelle Kerry (17) from Sydney hope to follow in the footsteps of their mother, 1988 Winter Olympian, Monica MacDonald, but must fight off some tough competition.
  • AUSTRALIAN ICE SKATERS SEEK QUALIFICATION FOR SOCHI 2014
    NSW to Host International Competition - ‘Skate Down Under 2013’

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
BTW, Skate Down Under issued three media releases on Aug 13:

Each is on a separate page within the PDF above. Keep scrolling down to see all three.
  • TOP ICE DANCERS RETURN HOME FOR OLYMPIC WARM UP
  • OLYMPIC SKATING PEDIGREE BROTHER AND SISTER FIGHT IT OUT FOR A CHANCE TO REPRESENT AUSTRALIA
    Brendan Kerry (18) and Chantelle Kerry (17) from Sydney hope to follow in the footsteps of their mother, 1988 Winter Olympian, Monica MacDonald, but must fight off some tough competition.
  • AUSTRALIAN ICE SKATERS SEEK QUALIFICATION FOR SOCHI 2014
    NSW to Host International Competition - ‘Skate Down Under 2013’

Thanks for these. It looks like they have a Twitter account set up for the event as well. I wonder if that means there will be a play by play.