Lysacek likely to enter U.S. Int'l in Salt Lake City, per Hersh (Jun 12) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lysacek likely to enter U.S. Int'l in Salt Lake City, per Hersh (Jun 12)

... ill will which I guess is "Go away! You stink! You're the worst ever! BOO!!!!" LOL!

Actually, I personally have no problem if people think that a particular skater stinks, is the worst ever, booo go away. Ill will is hoping that the skater will fall and break his leg. And being ready to gloat and celebrate when he does.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Maybe it's a case of "heavy is the head thar wears the crown" just like Chan now who wins (some feel undeservedly) by wringing points out of everything.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I saw a huge improvement in Evan's style of skating after he'd appeared on "Dancing with the Stars." He learned a lot about artistry & presentation from the professional dancers on that show. If he competes I think many of his doubters will be surprised.

I'd believe that. We saw a big difference in gymnastics when Shawn Johnson came back after Dancing With The Stars. We only saw a dance-through because of her knee injury, but still, there was a big difference.

In case anyone is interested:
Before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AONcTKuMPHU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnOZgiepJU

After: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4ugpan5gc

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I am just curious, why does everyone hate Lysacek so much? I get that he doesn't have a solid consistent quad. But neither does Takahashi, Kozuka, Abbott, Amodio, Brown, or Miner, all of whom seem to get more appreciation here. I don't understand the level of hatred Evan seems to inspire.

I was wondering this myself. He is an exciting performer. A 6.0 skater who transformed enough to win a CoP battle. He's very impressive in many ways. I think he deserves far more respect for his achievements and incredible work ethic. J:)MHO.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Shawn Johnson moves with all the grace of a dump truck on a deadline. Before, during and after Dancing with the Has-Beens.

LRK

Record Breaker
Actually, I personally have no problem if people think that a particular skater stinks, is the worst ever, booo go away. Ill will is hoping that the skater will fall and break his leg. And being ready to gloat and celebrate when he does.

Really? Have there been such posts? Why, that's... I'd not wish that for anyone! But since I'm not particularly interested in him, I often don't read Lysacek threads, so I don't follow closely what people say about him. (I think it was mostly idle curiosity brought me into this thread - and there isn't much going on now. :) )

gmyers

Record Breaker

Wow that would be some level of ill will!! That's really nasty!

jaylee

Medalist
Evan did a very good 4t/3t at nationals 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zJXcviX0I

It was quite exciting watching Evan throw down that performance on the live broadcast. I was actually a fan of that performance.

Too bad that he never had a performance after that came close to that one.

It's nice to hear that Evan is going to enter this minor competition, because he definitely needs it. He needs to do well, in order to prove his doubters wrong. And obviously, he has a lot of them after two aborted comeback attempts in the past two seasons.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
zzzzz again ?
but in the last minute would pull out because of another groin injury, lol

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even will need all the competitions he can get if he hopes to make the Olympic team. Even Yuna needed a couple minor events last season to get ready for Worlds and she had been away from competing for a much shorter time then Lysacek has been plus she is much younger. Even is almost 28 with no competitions in almost 4 years. That is asking a lot for someone of his age to suddenly get the quad.

louisa05

Final Flight
I have never understood fans who think athletes, in any sport, routinely fake injuries. Elite training and competition in any sport takes a hard toll on the body.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C'mon Evan!

I'm rooting for you. I want to see you and Plushenko have a rematch in Sochi.

Silver1998

Rinkside
Surely there is criticism in between respect and reserve of ill will? There is respect and admiration of his win, criticism that he was extremely conservative and didn't do all that he could do and thus ending jump progress, and just ill will which I guess is "Go away! You stink! You're the worst ever! BOO!!!!" LOL!

Certainly, there is a level of criticism that fits somewhere between respect and ill will. I never said there was not. You can respectfully and constructively criticize, but sarcastic criticism that borders on ill will, while humorous at times, serves no real purpose but to bolster personal vanity. I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion however they wish, but I was merely pointing out (perhaps not clearly enough) that there are ways of expressing criticisms in a more positive way as opposed to a negative approach. But again, that is just my opinion!
At any rate, I enjoy seeing all skaters perform at their highest level regardless of how I feel about them (Evan included). I was never a big Sasha fan, but I really felt for her during her attempted comeback at the 2010 Nationals. It was a tough moment for her! I hope Evan will come back more prepared and will have a better result. It seems like a smart move, as others have said, to get started earlier with this event.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am just curious, why does everyone hate Lysacek so much? I get that he doesn't have a solid consistent quad. But neither does Takahashi, Kozuka, Abbott, Amodio, Brown, or Miner, all of whom seem to get more appreciation here. I don't understand the level of hatred Evan seems to inspire.

For me personally, I don't like how his previous comeback was thwarted by money, and I think he is just in this solely to stay relevant for endorsements. He probably got the short end of the stick compared to other OGMs but that's because FS is just less popular now.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
For me personally, I don't like how his previous comeback was thwarted by money, and I think he is just in this solely to stay relevant for endorsements. He probably got the short end of the stick compared to other OGMs but that's because FS is just less popular now.

Agree.

I think a lot of people liked Lysacek, and were happy for him in 2010, because we could see the steady, consistent improvement year after year. Even if you weren't a fan of his style (in the U.S. alone, I would put him far behind the likes of Savoie, Abbott, and, yes, Weir) it was genuinely impressive to watch his progress. And had the scoring system favored the quad more in 2010, I bet he'd have kept his (which was fairly consistent) in his arsenal.

But a lot of this comeback talk has had the whiff of a publicity campaign, less of a genuine effort. He couldn't have competed once in the past few years, just to prove he had something left in the tank? Give credit to Plushenko for at least making periodic appearances to stay fresh and relevant. I think it's very hard for the figure skating fan to square the fact that he's been absent for three years with this endless publicity machine suggesting that he's secretly doing world-beating performances in private. Pretty tough to buy.

That said: Hope he proves everybody wrong.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Agree.

I think a lot of people liked Lysacek, and were happy for him in 2010, because we could see the steady, consistent improvement year after year. Even if you weren't a fan of his style (in the U.S. alone, I would put him far behind the likes of Savoie, Abbott, and, yes, Weir) it was genuinely impressive to watch his progress. And had the scoring system favored the quad more in 2010, I bet he'd have kept his (which was fairly consistent) in his arsenal.

But a lot of this comeback talk has had the whiff of a publicity campaign, less of a genuine effort. He couldn't have competed once in the past few years, just to prove he had something left in the tank? Give credit to Plushenko for at least making periodic appearances to stay fresh and relevant. I think it's very hard for the figure skating fan to square the fact that he's been absent for three years with this endless publicity machine suggesting that he's secretly doing world-beating performances in private. Pretty tough to buy.

Less than genuine effort? How quickly people forget that Lysacek did not compete last season because of an injury which required surgery. Prior to the surgery, Evan was skating at a very high level. Hopefully he can fully recover from the surgery and return to skating at that level.

As far as comments regarding Evan's skating, during the USFSA Hall of Fame induction ceremony in January, Lori Nichol spoke about Evan during her acceptance speech. One thing that she mentioned was watching Evan perform his free skate last May. She said that Evan's performance left her breathless. She stated that her wish was that Evan fully recovered from his injury so that the rest of the world could see that performance.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree.

Excuse me but didn't Plushenko not come back until the Olympic season when he made his comeback? So he can take 3 years off and it was perfectly allright but with Evan it's not?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Excuse me but didn't Plushenko not come back until the Olympic season when he made his comeback? So he can take 3 years off and it was perfectly allright but with Evan it's not?

This is true! And Plushenko I think - because he has been in it the mix most of the in between Vancouver and Sochi - that not being in the mix from Turin to Vancouver was a mistake! Like after 2007 worlds and 2008 worlds he was all "I'm returning!!" And he didn't!! Then he was put into a video about judging saying his scores were wrong and should be lower! So he learned best to not dawdle. And he was banned for a while too! Did more while actually banned then Lysacek has done not banned. Not even a Japan Open for Lysacek.