2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah] | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah]

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think you missed my sarcastic point. Frank Carroll has come out and said that no skater has ever come back in an Olympic year from an injury as bad as Evan's. Meanwhile in Russia, Plushenko is landing quads with an artificial disc in his spine. Max still moves stiffly from a broken back, and Joshua's had enough injuries - at eighteen - to last an entire career. There have been skaters who've come back from snapped tendons, FFS. I hardly think Evan's groin strain compares.

And Evan not resting? He's not competed in four years!

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I think you missed my sarcastic point. Frank Carroll has come out and said that no skater has ever come back in an Olympic year from an injury as bad as Evan's. Meanwhile in Russia, Plushenko is landing quads with an artificial disc in his spine. Max still moves stiffly from a broken back, and Joshua's had enough injuries - at eighteen - to last an entire career. There have been skaters who've come back from snapped tendons, FFS. I hardly think Evan's groin strain compares.

And Evan not resting? He's not competed in four years!

Karen, I knew that you were referring to Frank's comment. And consistent with your MO (i.e., constantly bash & belittle other skaters in an attempt to prop up your favorite skaters), you took a sarcastic dig at Evan and attempt to diminish his injury. Evan might not have competed since Vancouver; however, it is well documented that he has been training. How do you think he sustained the injury that required surgery? Training!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Look, my issues with Lysacek have nothing to do with my favourite skaters, and a lot to do with his attitude. Though admittedly his attitude is not as bad as Weir's - at least Lysacek hasn't come out bragging that he could have finished top 5 at Nationals because the field's so weak!

Frank Carroll seems unable to allow Lysacek to do anything on his own merit. Instead he comes out with ridiculous statements like this one and the "nobody works harder than Evan" one. Evan needed surgery. He's hardly the first person. A groin injury can be bad, yes, and I've no doubt he did sustain it training; by all accounts he does have a problem with knowing when to stop at training. But to say it is the worst injury any Olympic skater has ever come back from is ludicrous. I used the examples that I used only because they were the first ones that came to my mind of very serious injuries that skaters have come back from or are in the process of coming back from. Evan isn't the only person to be coming back from a serious injury.

Anyway, I don't like it when anyone's injured. I'm looking forward to next week and I hope everyone skates well.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Vincent Zhou tweeted yesterday that he is having surgery and is out for the season. Did TSL refer specifically to the Salt Lake Classic? I'm thinking this is the injury they meant.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It may be. But then they also mention Grant Hochstein needing to be ready, so maybe it is someone other than Vincent.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Vincent Zhou tweeted yesterday that he is having surgery and is out for the season. Did TSL refer specifically to the Salt Lake Classic? I'm thinking this is the injury they meant.

they said SLC - I assume that's Salt Lake City.

here's the post:

Stay tuned until when our sources let us speak: Huge injury and coaching change news coming soon. Men's SLC alternate better be ready. And a coaching change for a 2013 World Team member.

20 hours ago they posted about Zhou, so I don't think it's the same report.

Robin26

Rinkside
There are many skaters who fight through injuries and no one even knows. Danielle Montalbano ( israel) broke her ankle last October. Had two surgeries I believe and a steel plate and six screws remain. Not only the injury but her partners unwillingness to wait for her must be an incredible feat to overcome. Now she is training thru that and trying to come back singles. I wish everyone a great skate. And love the way these athletes teach perseverance

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Many skaters have had to fight through injuries. One poster chose to mock a skater's injury because of a comment made by the skater's coach. Coaches advocate for their skaters. Can coaches exaggerate? Yes. Do I hold that against the skater? No.

lcd

Match Penalty
There are many skaters who fight through injuries and no one even knows. Danielle Montalbano ( israel) broke her ankle last October. Had two surgeries I believe and a steel plate and six screws remain. Not only the injury but her partners unwillingness to wait for her must be an incredible feat to overcome. Now she is training thru that and trying to come back singles. I wish everyone a great skate. And love the way these athletes teach perseverance

Absolutely. Takes a class act and a lot of perseverance for an uninjured partner to stand by and wait out for the injured one to heal. When Evan Bates was injured, his partner Emily Samuelson sat out the entire season training hard, being supportive and waiting for him to be able to return the next season.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Weather Forecast for those who are attending

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=88 It's been a very hot summer, but we have finally had rain the last day or two. The rain may extend into Wednesday and Thursday. Even with the rain the temperatures should be pleasant - 80's during the day, 60's during the night. There should be some nice sun shine as well.

Steiner tends to be a cold, but not frigid rink. The practice rink is colder than the main rink. It's quite easy to go outside and sit on the grass to warm up for a while - maybe even take a nap.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Sorry to hear about the Shibs' injury, not at all surprised about Lysacek. I don't believe we will ever see him compete again.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, this was UNEXPECTED :sarcasm: (well, now, who could they give that SA spot to? :laugh: ) seriously, I hope he doesn't damage his body too much just because he (=his sponsors) wants to come back, if his body is so damaged he should just retire and give up his comeback plans...

SkateFan66

On the Ice
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=88 It's been a very hot summer, but we have finally had rain the last day or two. The rain may extend into Wednesday and Thursday. Even with the rain the temperatures should be pleasant - 80's during the day, 60's during the night. There should be some nice sun shine as well.

Steiner tends to be a cold, but not frigid rink. The practice rink is colder than the main rink. It's quite easy to go outside and sit on the grass to warm up for a while - maybe even take a nap.

Thank you for the information. Any recommendation for a good public skating rink and a good skate shop? I feel the urge to do a little skating while in SLC.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Thank you for the information. Any recommendation for a good public skating rink and a good skate shop? I feel the urge to do a little skating while in SLC.
I found a nice link with a list of local rinks - http://www.24saltlake.com/news/list-ice-skating-rinks-utah-124

These are the nearest rinks -

-Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center
-Salt Lake County Ice Center (very new - hosted regionals last year)
-South Davis Recreation Center (the bountiful rink - also fairly new)
-Utah Olympic Oval (a little further, but it might be fun to skate at the Olympic speed skating oval - ice rink in the middle)

They all have skate rentals but I don't know about skating shops - the links should help you find out. You could probably get to the Salt Lake County Ice Center via trax. Realistically, you will need a car to get to the rinks - about 20 minutes by car.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I found a nice link with a list of local rinks - http://www.24saltlake.com/news/list-ice-skating-rinks-utah-124

These are the nearest rinks -

-Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center
-Salt Lake County Ice Center (very new - hosted regionals last year)
-South Davis Recreation Center (the bountiful rink - also fairly new)
-Utah Olympic Oval (a little further, but it might be fun to skate at the Olympic speed skating oval - ice rink in the middle)

They all have skate rentals but I don't know about skating shops - the links should help you find out. You could probably get to the Salt Lake County Ice Center via trax. Realistically, you will need a car to get to the rinks - about 20 minutes by car.

Thank you for the information! I will have a rental car; therefore, distance is not a problem.