2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah] | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah]

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Results:

Pairs SP http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68594/results.html

1 Dylan Moscovitch/Kirsten Moore-Towers, CAN 68.52
2 Simon Shnapir/Marissa Castelli, USA 62.26
3 John Coughlin/Caydee Denney, USA 61.66
4 Daniel O'Shea/Tarah Kayne, USA 60.31
5 Rudi Swiegers/ Paige Lawrence, CAN 59.30
6 Nathan Bartholomay/ Felicia Zhang, USA 50.23
7 Evgeni Krasnapolsky/Andrea Davidovich, ISR 43.70

Men SP http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68594/results.html

1 Max Aaron, USA 81.49
2 Stephen Carriere, USA 77.48
3 Joshua Farris, USA 71.85
4 Grant Hochstein, USA 63.29
5 Oleksii Bychenko, ISR 62.19
6 Christopher Caluza, PHI 61.79
7 Michael Christian Martinez, PHI 59.65
8 Andrei Rogozine, CAN 58.39
9 Stanislav Samohin, ISR 56.84
10 Charles Pao, TPE 34.62

samson

Medalist
The season has really begun!!!

What a surprise from Stephen! It's great to hear that he was looking really strong in training and was able to deliver in competition. It's interesting - his jumps look so low to me, but he gets a lot of coverage on them and rotates so fast. Smooth and easy all the way, save for that bobble on the one spin but he still maintained it. His spins are also so FAST.

I agree Mrs P that Josh's program is a much better package for him this year. I'm looking forward to see him mature into this routine. The beginning looked very focused and actually drew me in, but his challenge will be maintaining and elevating that tension moving forward. Nice to see a good quad attempt from him. Can't wait to watch this sp develop. Also hope that he starts feeling better!

Max, Max, Max. He's starting to develop into a real leading man. For me, this program is a win. Or it will be by come Jan/Feb. You can see the dance training he's done, and he actually has a wonderful fluid action in his arms. Watching it, I kept thinking "Wow, these arms are what Tukt is trying to achieve anytime she does tango/latin piece." I feel like I can really see the technique and glimmer of intention behind his arms. His body also has a very interesting way of moving. It's so unexpected to me. Really strong improvement on the PCS. On a side note, I have to say that I like his hair a lot. It's definitely very on trend. And so was his hair last year. This boy knows what he's doing.

As for pairs, it was good. Too bad for Z/B. Fortunately they still have two grand prix so some chances to build off of this sp and redeem themselves. Not really into the music cut during the footwork. Why leave the gorgeous waltz music for what they ended up with? Oh well.

Denney and Coughlin were fine. Maybe the power of their skating comes across better live. That music is so intense, but IDK. Well it's early and it is nice to see them back on the ice after their injury.

The surprise of pairs was easily O'shea and Kayne. Really polished and clean elements. There seems to be a lot of use of James Bond this season, but it works well for them. They're a pretty attractive pair, aesthetically, and they could be a real factor in the US and abroad in the coming years.

I really like this program for Castelli and Shnapir. I preferred them over Denney and Coughlin tonight even with the fall and was glad to see the judges agreed. That throw sal has so much wow factor. The entrance is so intricate and the way she lands it is a real BAM to me. Love all the transitions in the program, I think it really highlights their skating skills. I also think it's notable that these judges gave them higher PCS here. Hopefully as the season goes on and they get those transitions in their bones they can also get faster throughout. Glad to see they're growing and getting after the program.

M/MTT were very nice. This program always reminds me of Anton and Elena's Chaplin routine in 2001. Particularly the way Kirsten carries herself reminds me of Elena.

A.H.Black thanks for the Ice Dance update. I CANNOT WAIT to see what Davis and White are doing. It sounds exciting - and with the article that came out on icenetwork about their work on the dance/story telling of the piece... oh boy.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I wish i could watch the competition but im geoblocked on ice network. Im fully reliant on this page, tweets and TSL for any information

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@NickMcCarvel
Max Aaron said it woulda been a "dream come true" to have his name called alongside #Lysacek at #SLC2013. In @sltrib: http://ow.ly/oQ6TU
4:24 AM - 13 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/378479397667606528

The article at the link above is:
Figure skating: With Lysacek sidelined, Max Aaron leads at U.S. Classic
He leads comfortably heading into final round, with Olympic champ Lysacek out.

By Kurt Kragthorpe | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Sep 12 2013 10:09 pm​

Comments:
- Although the headline does not mention pairs, they are included in the article's brief overview of Friday's results at the Classic.
- The article includes a gallery of 31 photos.
ETA, direct link to the photo gallery: http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/slidegallery.csp?cid=56864216 (all photos are of pairs SP)​
- Regarding the quote in the tweet:
Max Aaron had expressed the same sentiment to TSL this summer in reference to competing in the same group as Lysacek at Skate America (the TSL interview took place long before the SLC entries were announced). M.A. was anticipating a thrill comparable to what he felt when he heard his name called in the same group as Takahashi's and Chan's at Worlds. :) For M.A.'s sake, I hope that his dream comes true in Detroit. :)
- The tweet above is from the same NBC web producer who wrote (and later corrected) the Olympic outlook a while back that originally was full of mistakes. If you follow his tweets, you can see that he is paying attention to skating (along with tennis, his first love) and has been talking to skaters, so fingers crossed that by the time we get to Sochi, his reporting will not be problematic. :thumbsup:​

ETA, additional sources of photos:

Jennifer Comeaux ‏@LadyWave4
My photos from Thursday's events at #SLC2013 http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/2013/09/2013-us-international-classic-thursday.html
6:02 AM - 13 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/LadyWave4/status/378503963890315266

And ICYMI (don't recall whether the link already was posted earlier in this thread):
IceNetwork also has a gallery of Thursday backstage photos from the Classic.​
http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/60393960
(And at the bottom of the page of the Classic gallery is a link to Thursday's Challenge Skate gallery.)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Belated thx to freedance for being the first to post this link to SLC STARTING ORDERS and LIVE RESULTS (plus start times for each event). :bow:

For reference purposes, I have added the link to the first post on page 1 of this thread, in case including it there saves people from looking back through the thread to find it.
(Sorry that I didn't think to add it there yesterday. :eek:hwell:)

ETA, random observation regarding the SLC listings of pairs and dance couples:
Surprised to see that USFS style apparently is to put the male partner's name before the female's. Has that always been true? I had not noticed/remembered it from past USFS results.
Hoping for a great FS esp. from "Bartholomay/Zhang" ;).​

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Just a belated mention of a couple of things.

Aranow/Brubaker - skating to Love Story. It suits them and the choreography is meaningful. I'm not sure of their difficulty but I think this program will make people remember them.

The crowd is at least twice as big as last year. On Saturday, we may even be a bit crowded - especially since they have closed off the credentialed side and we are all stuck on the opposite side. Also, the rink is very warm (to my surprise). No one has even needed a jacket, and blankets are only to sit on. On the other hand, the ice doesn't appear to be too soft. The cold must all be at rink level - inside the plexi-glass.

As a general rule the competition has been much more polished this year than last - especially among the pairs.

Favor Please - Could someone take notice of the music for Pilar Maekawa/Leonardo Maekawa (Mexico) today and during the free. It 's not listed in the program thread and we can't quite place it. I think it's french or italian with a maybe a carnival theme. I came up with "Irma la Douce" but I'm sure I'm not right.

Finally, I'm surprised there is no video of Davis/White up yet. There were certainly enough "official" looking people filming them.

freedance

Rinkside
Just a belated mention of a couple of things.

Aranow/Brubaker - skating to Love Story. It suits them and the choreography is meaningful. I'm not sure of their difficulty but I think this program will make people remember them.

The crowd is at least twice as big as last year. On Saturday, we may even be a bit crowded - especially since they have closed off the credentialed side and we are all stuck on the opposite side. Also, the rink is very warm (to my surprise). No one has even needed a jacket, and blankets are only to sit on. On the other hand, the ice doesn't appear to be too soft. The cold must all be at rink level - inside the plexi-glass.

As a general rule the competition has been much more polished this year than last - especially among the pairs.

Favor Please - Could someone take notice of the music for Pilar Maekawa/Leonardo Maekawa (Mexico) today and during the free. It 's not listed in the program thread and we can't quite place it. I think it's french or italian with a maybe a carnival theme. I came up with "Irma la Douce" but I'm sure I'm not right.

Finally, I'm surprised there is no video of Davis/White up yet. There were certainly enough "official" looking people filming them.

Tell them to post their vids ! ahahahah ! :p

samson

Medalist
Yeah the link the Freedance originally posted of fan photos and Mrs P reposted has three clips of the free dance. I'm looking forward to seeing the full vision soon, but it's so great to get to catch small glimpses of it right now!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

altuixde

On the Ice

KKonas

Medalist
Some quotes from SP yesterday.
Aaron quote: On practice vs. competition: “There’s always a difference between practice and competition. In practice, the team always watches and I can hear that. I want to feel that during competition. I usually show a lighter, more loose side in practice and I want to show everyone that side when I compete.”

Carriere quote: On his performance: “It was an overall clean program, definitely, jump-wise. I was very excited about the Lutz-toe, so I got stuck in that excitement for a bit, so some of the turns in my footwork weren’t as good as they were at previous events. I’m actually so happy with my performance, which is a really great thing!”

Farris On the quad: “About two weeks ago, coming into this, my quad was terrible. It was the worst it’s ever been and I was debating if I should just take it out. I didn’t. My coaches said to just put it out there. So I tried it. I didn’t’ quite stick it, but I stood up and I’m happy with that.”

Hochsein On his performance: “It was strangely trippy for me. During my spin I grabbed my blade with one finger and it slipped off, and then I fell on my footwork. It’s funny because at the beginning of my program I felt really strong. The quad felt really good. I just kind of crumbled.”

Denney/Coughlin on short program- Denney – This program is still fairly new. With each week of training and each competition, this program is going to get more comfortable. There’s room to grow in this program but overall I was pleased with how we did today.

Castelli/Shnapir quote – We have proven to ourselves that we don’t have to skate perfect programs, but if we work on our performance and our emotion, and have a glitch or fumble, we can rebound. We are focused regardless.

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch quote – It felt good. We are right on track. Probably the toe loop felt too good and I didn't check out enough. Other than that we are right where we want to be.