What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

Robeye

Final Flight
Mao doesn't. Her difficult footwork is marred by mediocre edges, unclear execution, mediocre speed and flow, mediocre upper body control.

Other than the top two skaters, Akiko and Kiira has vastly superior edging and flow over their step sequences to Mao Asada.
I have to say, I've always seen Mao's footwork as among the best of the ladies today. When Yuna is fully committed to training and in top gear, though, she's pretty good too ;), as the scores will attest.

But, then, the fact that something is hypothetical hasn't stopped just about every other forum member from opining on a vast array of other questions...

Indeed. ;) If Cecelia College had been born 70 years later and had been coached by Tatiana Tarasova she would have scored 203.86 points at the 2010 Olympics (I can list her elements, with GOEs, if you don't believe me) and edged Joannie Rochette for the bronze.

On the other hand, there are some things that we can all agree on. If Tonya Harding had been Shizuka Arakawa she would have had a great Ina Bauer. :yes:

Robeye

Final Flight
Indeed. ;) If Cecelia College had been born 70 years later and had been coached by Tatiana Tarasova she would have scored 203.86 points at the 2010 Olympics (I can list her elements, with GOEs, if you don't believe me) and edged Joannie Rochette for the bronze.

On the other hand, there are some things that we can all agree on. If Tonya Harding had been Shizuka Arakawa she would have had a great Ina Bauer. :yes:
:laugh: Indeed.

Crystallize

On the Ice
Sarcasm cuts both ways. If you can't stand the heat, then don't live by the sword, and all that (or is it the other way round?...)

I happen to agree that it's impossible to know with precision what Yuna's loop would be like if re-introduced into competition at this juncture. But, then, the fact that something is hypothetical hasn't stopped just about every other forum member from opining on a vast array of other questions, as far as I can see. Have you protested the myriad other such instances of counterfactual reasoning in this forum in recent weeks? I haven't seen it.

Which leads to the reason for my responding to you in the spirit in which your own post was written: you seemed very intent on using your dissatisfaction with the comments of one particular poster, on a question that is obviously hypothetical, to divide the world into pro- and anti- Yuna, and demonstrating your own intellectual/moral superiority to the former. That did not sit well with me, as a Yuna fan.

And what do you mean, exactly, by "it's very, very obvious how much you like Yuna. Not everybody else does. Move on"? Am I to take that to mean that you have every right to buttonhole and challenge Yuna fans about their preferences and opinions, but those who like Yuna are not allowed to question yours? I would suggest to you that just about everyone on this forum has strong and decided preferences. I would even venture to say that you do, too. When those preferences become more clear, I assume that, when you write about your preferences, you will not object to my saying "it is very, very clear how much you like [insert name here]. Not everyone does. Move on"?

In other words, I do not object to the substance of your original question regarding the hypothetical Yuna loop; it's a fair one, in my view. If not for your latest post, I might even have agreed with you. I do object, however, to how you have used the issue to satisfy what looks like a very large chip on your shoulder.

Perhaps it is because of all the ugly stuff that has been flying around recently, but the tone of your post pushed my buttons. I trust that thinking about it is not just something you recommend to others, but are willing to undergo yourself.

If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen. okay. You came at me first. I'm trying not to be hostile, but you were offended by my sarcasm, so oh well. Chip on my shoulder? :laugh: Nope. And you're questioning what I've posted in the past few weeks? Are you kidding? I admit that I don't post often, okay? Geez. I'm not an unfair person like you assume. From what I've seen, you challenge anyone who gives criticism to Yuna. What gives? I stated what I thought, but I was misunderstood clearly. I stated things the way I did because you questioned me first just because I pointed out something about a specific user's post. And I was responding to that one person! I was NOT lumping all of Yuna's fans together. You jumped on me first. It's obvious you were offended, but I don't care. The tone of your post has pushed my buttons as well. And I'm not delving into anything. But I'm honestly done. :biggrin: Do you assume that I'm an Anti-Yuna fan or something or that I hate all her fans? LOL. alright. I should add that figure skating is only a casual interest for me. I'm pretty neutral right now.

MiRé

Match Penalty
If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen. okay.

This phrase reminds me of someone....especially someone who's recently been banned:rolleye:

Anyways, I think this year, Yuna's step sequence was not her best, but her choreography sequence(i think thats what its called) was really well put.

Crystallize

On the Ice
This phrase reminds me of someone....especially someone who's recently been banned:rolleye:

Anyways, I think this year, Yuna's step sequence was not her best, but her choreography sequence(i think thats what its called) was really well put.

Umm...that's actually a very common saying. If you're implying that I have another account and have been banned, then you are quite wrong. This is my only account. I don't know who you're talking about. :slink:

As for Yuna's choreography, I didn't really like it at first, I was slightly underwhelmed, but it really grew on me at Worlds. not sure why. I guess because she only got to do it twice before, at NRW trophy and nationals. I felt like it had more feeling to it? I'm only disappointed now because I didn't appreciate it until the end!

MiRé

Match Penalty
Umm...that's actually a very common saying. If you're implying that I have another account and have been banned, then you are quite wrong. This is my only account. I don't know who you're talking about. :slink:

As for Yuna's choreography, I didn't really like it at first, I was slightly underwhelmed, but it really grew on me at Worlds. not sure why. I guess because she only got to do it twice before, at NRW trophy and nationals. I felt like it had more feeling to it? I'm only disappointed now because I didn't appreciate it until the end!

I know it's a common idiom. Like I said, it reminded me of someone. I wasnt accusing you or anything :p
Oh and I agree on your post, but then again, Yuna solely focused on tes in NRW so it wasnt a surprise to see a program that was a bit, sloppy.

Crystallize

On the Ice
I know it's a common idiom. Like I said, it reminded me of someone. I wasnt accusing you or anything :p
Oh and I agree on your post, but then again, Yuna solely focused on tes in NRW so it wasnt a surprise to see a program that was a bit, sloppy.

Well with the eyeroll....I was unsure. But I feel bad now because I think I know exactly who you're talking about. I'll only say that I can understand the eyeroll now.

I think maybe it was for the best that she focused more on the technical aspect, what with her trying to earn enough points. And it was a nice surprise to see the progression in just a few months. Either way, it worked out perfectly. Especially because she skated right at the very end at Worlds. It was pretty much the ultimate culmination. At least for the season. Now she'll have to top that in Sochi. I think if there's anybody who can do that, then it's her.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
The Skating Lesson Interview: Adam Rippon on Kim Yu-Na (5:47)

Additional information:

Kim Yu-Na is figure skating's biggest star. Adam Rippon trained alongside her leading up to her big wins at the 2009 World Championships and 2010 Olympic Games. In our interview with Adam, he spoke about Kim Yu Na as a training mate, how she handled the immense pressure on her, and the experience of being present for one of the sport's most infamous coaching splits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x3GLkZvw2WY

Discuss.

cosmos

On the Ice
Her continuous development or improvement. Ever since her senior debut, she showed never-stopping improvement even in absence from competitions. That is why she distanced the gap between her and Mao.

I was kidding about the "prom." I think it is just a random picture from when they were training together.

gkelly

Record Breaker
haha that's why Mao on regular basis get's level 4 on her steps, and has been one of the very few skaters who has had it for many years, the record doesn't lie.

Hands down, Mao is the skater who has the most exquisite steps, and in every single program of hers whether competitive or exhibition she has showcased that.....

Whether a skater gets level 4 on step sequences is pretty much an objective decision as to whether they included the right combination of difficult skills, according to that year's rules, to meet the criteria. As decided by the technical panel, not the judges. It's a measure of difficulty, not quality (except insofar as poor quality at the attempted skills can result in them not getting credited).

The GOEs are more a measure of quality -- each judge determines whether the skater was "good" or better at various bullet points. That's more subjective.

"Exquisite" is a purely subjective assessment. Of course anyone (including judges) who makes such an assessment could support that assessment by pointing to aspects of the element that were especially well done.

But even if we all agree that the good qualities were good, there will be some disagreement as to how good they each were, which qualities are most important, and which value-laden adjectives best describe the emotional impact of element.

prettykeys

Medalist
I am surprised when Adam says he hadn't seen YuNa ever do a clean run-through in practices until she got to Vancouver. That makes her feat even more impressive...although I wonder why/how she wasn't able to do it in the practices as the reigning World Champ. I also wonder what changed that she became able to do them. Was it mental ticks? Stamina issues? Persisting injuries that healed slowly? Curious.

gourry

Final Flight
I am surprised when Adam says he hadn't seen YuNa ever do a clean run-through in practices until she got to Vancouver. That makes her feat even more impressive...although I wonder why/how she wasn't able to do it in the practices as the reigning World Champ. I also wonder what changed that she became able to do them. Was it mental ticks? Stamina issues? Persisting injuries that healed slowly? Curious.

That part surprised me as well. But in my opinion the fact he hadn't seen doesn't exactly mean she hadn't done it. I mean, I don't think he was with her 24/7.
I clearly remember Orser saying maybe around 2009 Worlds that Yuna was doing many clean programs in practices and really ready for the Worlds. Or was it before Olympics?
I also remember seeing her clean run through before competitions, and I know this because I checked all those practice videos available out there those times(hope I don't sound like a stalker or something creepy...). Can't remember exactly when, but didn't she do clean run through before TEB 2009 for example?
But I also remember seeing her run through with all clean jumps but omitting some elements like spins, so maybe he meant 'never did clean run through' in that sense?
Anyway I find his remark a bit odd.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I put Mao and Carolina on the same page when it comes to footwork. Both have steps that are intricate, fast, musical and flow across the ice very nicely. Yu-Na has nice fast steps that flow nicely but I don't find hers to be as intricate or complex in terms of difficulty.

I also love Akiko's footwork sequences. Very musical with lovely flow though not as fast as the top 3...

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Yes, Yuna did a clean run through at 09 TEB (which was her first competition in 09-10 season).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIUYk8Z1yFc

And Yuna said in a TV talk show after Vancouver that she was flying over the ice in great shape in practices until got a small ankle injury (which required 2 weeks' training-hiatus) one month before Vancouver.
If Yuna had been keeping on making one or two mistakes in run throughs without one exception, I don't think she would have said 'I was flying'. lol

aftertherain

Record Breaker
She also did a 100% clean run-through of her LP in the practices at Vancouver, including spins, spirals and footwork: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0pwg3txz3U

I doubt that was the very first clean run-through of her LP, despite what Adam said.

Maybe he meant in training at the Toronto S&C Club instead of in competition practices. Adam wasn't in Vancouver, was he? I doubt if he knew how Yuna's practices were going at the Olympics.