What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater? | Golden Skate

What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I think we find Yu-Na Kim so superior compared to the others skaters is because, she act like a «Queen». And, unfortunalety, I think the others skaters need to work this, if they really want to be at her level.

Theses are my impression about Yu-Na Kim that make her in a higher level skating.

1. She looks confident in her skating, we see no doubt in her eyes.
2. She wears dresses with long skirts who gives impression to look more mature.
3. She doesn't skate with cute and junior music, it's always somes musics selections who are powerful, masterful and bring emotion.
4. She express the music with her face and her body espress the music as well perfectly.
5. She try always to bring the audience in her performance. She looks at her audience like a star and at the right times.

I think even if you do perfect triple/triple or triple axel, if you don't have all of theses 5 statements, I think you miss the opportunity to catch Yu-Na because theses littles thing make the person looks more mature and better when you act like a «Queen».

I think that Why Tatianna Tarasova bring heavy music to Mao Asada at 2010 Olympic, because a soft and sweet Mao, will never look strong and superior even if it is beautiful.

Imagine if we see Yu-Na Kim skating to a princess and delicate program, this would not give the impression that she looks strong because it would not be powerful and impressive.

And having a dress cut in the butt doesn't look mature at all, it looks like a girl who doesn't want to grow up. Carolina Kostner need to bring something better if we want to consider her at Yu-Na level.

What do you think ?
What distinguishes Yu-Na Kim compared to other skaters? and Why we find her superior ?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
^ :agree: Great trolling, congrats!
...You are trolling, aren't you?

I'm not trolling, I just say my opinion. I like both Kostner, Asada and Kim, but I think if Kim look so superior is because of what I write. It's not because I want to bashing some skaters. We just need to find why we have some difficulty to see a rival to Yu-Na and maybe my statement is the key for helping Kostner and Asada to copycat Kim Yu-Na and rise the occasion to be at her level :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think if you changed every instance of "we" in your post to "I" it would go over better. Or if by "we" you mean yourself and a few of your friends and are not trying to speak for everyone on this board, make that clear. Telling the rest of us what we think is only going to breed disagreement.

Now, if you really want to talk about why YOU think Yu Na is hard to beat, or why you think JUDGES think so, and allow the rest of us to agree and disagree with each of your points according to our own thoughts...

Of the five points you list, only #1 really has anything to do with how she actually skates. 2 and 3 are purely external. 4 and 5 relate to a few of the component criteria, but by themselves wouldn't make much difference.

I'd say the reason why she wins, both in 2010 and 2013, is that she skates fast and steady, jumps big, rotates difficult jumps and lands them, and is generally solid on all her elements. Knowing that she can do all that helps her skate confidently. But the confidence alone won't win for her without the speed and the jumps.

skatel80

On the Ice
I assume you are using the "royal we" meaning I . If not, are you actually being serious?.....:unsure:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I find Caro superior to Yuna. Queen Yuna is great, Empress Caro is a goddess. LOL. I'm sure your post was half joking, but if Yuna wins again it will be strong, uplifting program music where she can skate fast, complete her huge 3x3's and go clean. She needs this to win. Her other elements are good and she is a very confident, consistent jumper. But it is the speed and huge/fully rotated triples that blow the judges away. She is a superior jumper. Hence the wins.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I assume you are using the "royal we" meaning I . If not, are you actually being serious?.....:unsure:

Yes, exactly, I use the ``Royal we``meaning I :)
I was not saying ``we`` to include all of us in this forum.
Everyone can have their own opinion.
I was thinking that it should be interesting to see what are our thought about Yu-Na Kim ? And what the others skaters lack and needs to get to the level of Yu-Na ?

mateusp1

On the Ice
I also prefer Caro(because of some aspects of her skating).

But, the "overrall" package, Yuna is slightly better.

Yuna is more consistent.

Caro has better basics.

yuki

Final Flight
We just need to find why we have some difficulty to see a rival to Yu-Na and maybe my statement is the key for helping Kostner and Asada to copycat Kim Yu-Na and rise the occasion to be at her level :)

You should totally write to them and suggest that! It's not like they are totally different skaters from Yuna or anything :rolleye:.

I assumed you were trolling because your initial post is uber talk of the most embarrassing kind, mixed with silly criticism of Yuna's perceived rivals (Mao is soft and weak, Carolina wears short dresses, so she is obviously not world-level material). Like gkelly said, Yuna wins because she has powerful jumps, because she doesn't really have a weak area in her skating, because she's consistent, fast and self-assured. It has absolutely nothing to do with the length of her skirt or the fact that she looks at the audience and makes them feel special.

Maybe this is hard for you to believe, but not every skater is or should be exactly like Yuna.

mateusp1

On the Ice
I think that someone's favorite skater really depends on what someone likes better.

For example... If spins, flexibility and "soft" style are important for someone, Carolina will not be this person's favorite skater(cup of tea).

In my case, I like speed, flow, elegance and interesting music choices.

ruriruri

Spectator
I totally agree with gkelly.

coolboogie22, have you ever seen Yuna in a live competition?
She has an amazing speed and huge and consistent jumps.

I am a Japanese and a sort of Mao's fan, still I was really impressed with and
appreciate Yuna's performance when I saw her at the World 2009.
I think only Carolina can stand up to her so far.
Carolina's skating skill is much better thank Yuna, while Yuna exceeds her in jumps.

However, I don't buy Yuna's artistic expressions. I'm afraid most of her exhibition programs are
nowhere near her competitive ones. I think she is great athletically but not artistically.

I hope Mao could regain her triple Axel and make her jumps full rotated. If she could
make them, she would be able to beat Yuna. Hopefully in time before her retirement.

Moment

Final Flight
I hope Mao could regain her triple Axel and make her jumps full rotated. If she could
make them, she would be able to beat Yuna. Hopefully before her retirement.

Hopefully rotating her triple flip would be a good start for Mao.

to matesup1: Carolina Kostner has a Salchow-like technique on her flip, which is not ideal.

Yes, exactly, I use the ``Royal we``meaning I :)
I was not saying ``we`` to include all of us in this forum.
Everyone can have their own opinion.
I was thinking that it should be interesting to see what are our thought about Yu-Na Kim ? And what the others skaters lack and needs to get to the level of Yu-Na ?

There is another term in English, the "editorial we," which I think your approach could also be called. There's nothing wrong with that. It's often used in genres such as newspaper columns.

I think that in some elements YuNa is so far above almost everyone else that it's natural to try to analyze her mystique. But most of what you mentioned is just trimming, I think, or as we say the icing on the cake. The core of what makes YuNa unparalleled is her jumps and other skills. Along with YuNa, I also admire Mao and Carolina, for different reasons, and each of those ladies has excellent aspects that exceed YuNa's, but in terms of the overall package, right now YuNa is pretty hard to beat.

It's no secret on this board that I'm a huge Mao fan and would love to see her win gold in Sochi. (And Daisuke!) But if YuNa wins, I can hardly be disappointed, considering the kind of display she'll probably put on to earn her victory. Watching her is like watching Midori Ito in the old days. You could have preferred another skater in some way or other, but when Midori skated, you knew you were watching something you wouldn't see again any time soon. And indeed, we haven't seen the likes of Midori again from that day to this. I think YuNa will be like that.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think oh Yuna as one great flavor. Then I also can't wait to see my other "top" ladies...Ashley, Gracie, Caro, Mao, Akiko, and several more. We don't want clones which sadly CoP encourages.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Hopefully rotating her triple flip would be a good start for Mao.

to matesup1: Carolina Kostner has a Salchow-like technique on her flip, which is not ideal.

Can explain me, please, what is salchow-like technique? I do not know what this means. Sorry for the inconvenience.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Can explain me, please, what is salchow-like technique? I do not know what this means. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yes, I'm quite confused about this as well. Does it mean that Carolina bends her knees a lot before the flip or something?