What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

TryMeLater

On the Ice
To answer the original question:
Nerves of steel and concentration in her competitions.

Kim is a really good skater. She has good jumps and solid technique although her jumps aren't the best EVER as some may say.
She does have the best Lutz and 3Lutz-3T out of all the ladies in this quad.
Her programs are choreographed well, though not always interesting.
Much like Witt, she has nerves of steel and which makes her one of the great competitors in figure skating history, by being able to perform well when
it matters most-be it Olympics or Worlds.
Her huge lead is somewhat undeserved in my opinion, but that's for a different thread.

Actually, it is pretty easy to see where Kim's huge leads over her rivals come from. Her jumps are solid. Every element, and especially her jumps, get positive GOE. This will automatically blow away skaters who make mistakes.

At the 2013 world championships Kim got a total of 10.23 GOE on her seven jump elements. Why? She didn't fall down, She didn't under-rotate, she had good speed going in, good height and distance, good form in the air, good flow on the landing. Asada had negative GOE on the first three jumps and a total of minus 0.84 overall. Kostner got 5.64 GOE total on her first six jumps, but gave almost all of it back with a downgrade and fall on the last one. So Kim starts with a ten point advantage right out of the box, just by landing her jumps.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Actually, it is pretty easy to see where Kim's huge leads over her rivals come from. Her jumps are solid. Every element, and especially her jumps, get positive GOE. This will automatically blow away skaters who make mistakes.

At the 2013 world championships Kim got a total of 10.23 GOE on her seven jump elements. Why? She didn't fall down, She didn't under-rotate, she had good speed going in, good height and distance, good form in the air, good flow on the landing. Asada had negative GOE on the first three jumps and a total of minus 0.84 overall. Kostner got 5.64 GOE total on her first six jumps, but gave almost all of it back with a downgrade and fall on the last one. So Kim starts with a ten point advantage right out of the box, just by landing her jumps.

Exactly. Kostner also popped her loop which cost her ~1 GOE point.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Eh, a lot of the +GOE is undeserved. Kim's 3Sal is only a +1 GOE jump. Her spins are +1. She got a lot more points for those elements than she should have. The second half of her choreographic step sequence was underwhelming as well and got overscored.

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna Kim's strongest points (per the thread's topic):

She's SO overscored.
Her layback is so ugly.
Her spiral is butt-ugly.
She doesn't point her toes.
She's so robotic and expressionless on the ice.
She looks like she's bored and doing a job.
Her programs are so boring.
Her 3Salchow is weak, she can't do a 3Loop and she Lips!

Did I miss anything? Oh, yes:

She's sooo cocky and arrogant, boasting about her charitable works! A real selfless person would be anonymous.

There, I think I got all her strong points. Anything else? :)

aftertherain

Record Breaker

She's SO overscored.
Her layback is so ugly.
Her spiral is butt-ugly.

She's sooo cocky and arrogant, boasting about her charitable works! A real selfless person would be anonymous.

Water from the Fountain of Youth combined with a vial of her tears will grant you eternal life.

Moment

Final Flight
Aww these girls can cry all day long and Yuna will still take her +2 GOE for her finished elements and 14 million dollars a year :)

RABID

Final Flight

She's SO overscored.
Her layback is so ugly.
Her spiral is butt-ugly.

Krislite, something to make you feel better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLj8Nf7ezVQ

You're welcome.

Eh, a lot of the +GOE is undeserved. Kim's 3Sal is only a +1 GOE jump. Her spins are +1. She got a lot more points for those elements than she should have. The second half of her choreographic step sequence was underwhelming as well and got overscored.

Doesn't mean a thing. OK, so take 0.65 off the triple Sal combination, 0.5 off each of the two spins, and 0.8 off the choreo spiral sequence. Recompute. :cool:

Moment

Final Flight
Doesn't mean a thing. OK, so take 0.65 off the triple Sal combination, 0.5 off each of the two spins, and 0.8 off the choreo spiral sequence. Recompute. :cool:

Also if her "competition" had been marked under the same scrutiny the margin would have been even bigger than it already was. Her detractors can't win either way. :)

Krislite

Medalist
I'm trying to jokingly imply that Yuna is an ethereal creature.

... It's not working.

Oh I see! Yuna doesn't point her toes or extend her legs because in her previous life she was a mermaid, and mermaids don't have legs or toes! That explains everything, and I guess that means her tears will work with water from the Fountain of Youth, too. :biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Well, it's more than this. All three of the spins were overscored by .5 or more, the +3's on the second Triple Lutz were out of place, the first triple Sal got all +2's. I think she was overscored by 4 points technically. I feel the PCS were also "objectively" overscored, but they were appropriate as compared to what the other contenders for a medal received (except Murakami - she is always held down). Still, those extra 4 points from GOE and also overly-buffered PCS are pretty unfair to the rest of the field, as it means she's nearly impossible to beat even though she doesn't actually have the technical content or choreographic difficultly/brilliance to really deserve it if someone else comes out and does better than her.

Although, there weren't actually any such "choreographically brilliant" Long Programs among the women for the 2012-2013 season that would have deserved to go much higher than Yu-Na in PCS. So it's sort of a fruitless gripe. But, at the same time, I think objectively accurate scoring is important. That's the whole point of CoP - quantifiableness.