What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd have a lot more respect for her if she could actually be bothered to show up to her own Nationals and EARN her place on the international teams, rather than just being handed it.

Krislite

Medalist
I'd have a lot more respect for her if she could actually be bothered to show up to her own Nationals and EARN her place on the international teams, rather than just being handed it.

??????? :confused: She did compete at Nationals. Good God, some of these objections are just so weak or downright false...

Too lucky? No effort needed to win? Doesn't "earn" her place in her international team? OK, guys, I'd hate to call this trolling, but really, how it is this anything but trying to rile up Yuna fans...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I meant in 2011. Which she didn't. Worlds was her only competition that year.

Here she is at Korean Nationals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbHs-r8cxDE#t=2m0s

As you can see she is about 90% compared to her form at Worlds.

Skaters do not send themselves to the world championship. They are sent by their national federations. The criteria that the national federations employ varies according to the traditions and circumstances of each country. Maybe South Korea's guiding principle in selecting the world team is, "If you've got the Olympic champion, send her." ;)

Moment

Final Flight
She got a pass because she earned a Silver at the previous Worlds. It's in the rules.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Maybe Yuna wants other skaters to win national titles......I wouldn't want to skate knowing I would never win first place :slink:
(To be completely honest, I don't think there is a SINGLE female skater in South Korea who can top Yuna Kim)

Krislite

Medalist
I meant in 2011. Which she didn't. Worlds was her only competition that year.

Whom did she deprive of a spot at Worlds? She won two spots for Korea the previous season. Min-Jeong Kwak got to go with Yuna to 2011 Worlds. So again, whom did she deprive of a Worlds spot by not competing at Nationals? Look at this way, had Yuna competed at Nationals in 2011, it would still have been Yuna and Min-Jeong who went to Worlds.

She won the Olympics, won everything but Worlds, was the only Korean who had any hope of placing in the top 10, had brought Korean figure skating to a whole new level by being the first and only Korean figure skater to have ever won an Olympic medal, and yet even that wasn't enough to earn her a spot for the following Worlds? I give up...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whom did she deprive of a spot at Worlds? She won two spots for Korea the previous season. Min-Jeong Kwak got to go with Yuna to 2011 Worlds. So again, whom did she deprive of a Worlds spot by not competing at Nationals? Look at this way, had Yuna competed at Nationals in 2011, it would still have been Yuna and Min-Jeong who went to Worlds.

She won the Olympics, won everything but Worlds, was the only Korean who had any hope of placing in the top 10, had brought Korean figure skating to a whole new level by being the first and only Korean figure skater to have ever won an Olympic medal, and yet even that wasn't enough to earn her a spot for the following Worlds? I give up...

Plushenko is one of the greatest figure skaters of all time. He still goes to Russian Nationals every year to EARN his place on the team.

She got a pass because she earned a Silver at the previous Worlds. It's in the rules.

Can you explain this to me a little more? Are you saying that because she got a silver at 2010 worlds that all she had to do in 2011 is show up, whether the South Korean federation chose to send her or not?

It seems to me that if the federation wants to send her, they send her, whether she won anything the year before of not. No?

Moment

Final Flight
Can you explain this to me a little more? Are you saying that because she got a silver at 2010 worlds that all she had to do in 2011 is show up, whether the South Korean federation chose to send her or not?

It seems to me that if the federation wants to send her, they send her, whether she won anything the year before of not. No?

If a skater places on the podium (top 3) at the previous Worlds, he or she is allowed to get a pass. Korean Fed has had no one but her to send anyway.

venlac

On the Ice
Here she is at Korean Nationals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbHs-r8cxDE#t=2m0s

As you can see she is about 90% compared to her form at Worlds.

Skaters do not send themselves to the world championship. They are sent by their national federations. The criteria that the national federations employ varies according to the traditions and circumstances of each country. Maybe South Korea's guiding principle in selecting the world team is, "If you've got the Olympic champion, send her." ;)

I want to explain.
before yuna kim, in korea, there was no top-class skaters, so there was a rule that if one skater was in top three at the previous World, then, that skater can qualify for next year's World without participate in national.
before 2011-2012 season, she had competed in every year's worlds after senior debut and had not dropped from the podium, therefore she didn't competed in national and could qualify for Worlds.
But in 2012-2013 season, she should participate in national to qualify for world, because she didn't competed in 2011-2012 WC, and didn't stood on podium.

Krislite

Medalist
Plushenko is one of the greatest figure skaters of all time. He still goes to Russian Nationals every year to EARN his place on the team.

Because the Russian fed rules require it. Now what in the heck do you mean by "EARN"? Because by KSU rules she EARNED her spot by finishing in the top 3 at the previous Worlds.

Furthermore, if by "earn" you mean rightfully take that spot over a competitor who could have earned it, then again I ask you, WHO was more DESERVING of that spot for Worlds 2011 that Yuna took for herself? The only other Korean lady who was qualified to go to Worlds 2011 was Min-Jeong Kwak, and she got her spot. So who "earned" that other spot that went to Yuna?

If you mean a skater can only "earn" a spot to Worlds by competing at Nationals, then we have nothing more to discuss. That's a completely arbitrary presumption (and contrary to Federation rules).

Moment

Final Flight
Thank you, but I still don't understand what a "pass" is. Is this something that the ISU gives out independent of the wishes of the National Federation? If the Korean federation had decided to send two different skaters, not Kim, to 2011 worlds, would the ISU have said, no, only Kim gets a "pass."

No, it's Korean Skating Fed that allows her to go to Worlds without competing at Nats.

Nadia01

Final Flight

Mathman,

The South Korean federation sends current world medalists to the worlds again for a chance to defend their title or do better. They don't need to go to the nationals for the qualification on the figure skating side. (This may be different for the short track side b/c it's SO competitive in Korea.)

The nats in Korea do not act as qualifying comps for other international meets the way US Nats and JP Nats do. US & JP make decisions about 4CC and Worlds after Nats. In Korea, there is another qualifying competition for 4CC. Nats have nothing to do with 4CC. But in general, Nats determine the WC team, provided that there isn't any current WC medalist competing for Korea that season.

So in 2011, Yuna didn't need to go to Nats to go to WC. Her federation rules say she would go unless she WD.

In 2013, she had to go to Nats since she was no longer the reigning WC medalist.

Nadia01

Final Flight

What a troll.

What does that have anything to do with Yuna EARNING her spot in 2011? Each federation has its own rules about how a skater earns his/her spot to WC. Perhaps you should study how they do it in Korea first before accusing Yuna of getting special treatment.