Australia
In the article on icenetwork Max revealed the following:

SP: Footloose (with lyrics) by Mark Pillay

LP: Gladiator (with some movie dialogue) by Pasquale Camerlengo

Now I'm impatient to see the costume!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@SkaterRater
@MaxTAaron Fantastic Short Program skate at Colorado Champs!!! Love the Footloose program! Great energy and elements!
12:19 PM - 1 Aug 2014
https://twitter.com/SkaterRater/status/495287827106914304

ETA:

Tom Zakrajsek ‏@CoachTomZ
Congrats to @MaxTAaron and @becky_coach for personal best SP of 83.77. Good start!
6:27 AM - 2 Aug 2014
https://twitter.com/CoachTomZ/status/495561613785563137
(Tom Z is not with Max at the Colorado Championships. TZ is in California ... presumably at Glacier Falls.)​

A glimpse of Max's speed training that @coachtomz posted on Jul 25:
World class training: 2013 US Champion and twice USA World Team member Max Aaron finishes his laps at the end of the session in the power chute. He feels the need...the need for speed!
http://instagram.com/p/q4zRV6DY6_/ (video)​

A bit regarding Max's work on the quad loop:
As of the end of May, @mkblades' self-promotional comments on Instagram cited a rumor that Max "is now landing quad loops" (as a "result" of switching to a certain type of its blades).
http://instagram.com/p/orGR81FyIX/ (May 31)​

(Cross-posting all of the above from the Max thread in The Edge.)​

ETA, off-ice photo of Max at the Colorado Championships:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Comparing Triple Lutz Technique – Lutz Analysis (Trevor Laak)
Trevor Laak provides a computer analysis of 3 different triple lutz jumps. The skaters performing the jumps are Ryan Bradley, Brandon Mroz, and Max Aaron who were on a practice session at the 2013 Grassroots to Champions Supercamp in July/August of 2013.
http://icoachskating.com/comparing-triple-lutz-technique-lutz-analysis-trevor-laak/

The total length of the video is 15:50.
Analysis of Max's lutz begins at approx 4:45. Reprise of his lutz (incl. slo-mo) begins at approx 15:15.

Thx to SkateFiguring for the alert that for a limited time, this video and others are available at no cost.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Comparing Triple Lutz Technique – Lutz Analysis (Trevor Laak)
Trevor Laak provides a computer analysis of 3 different triple lutz jumps. The skaters performing the jumps are Ryan Bradley, Brandon Mroz, and Max Aaron who were on a practice session at the 2013 Grassroots to Champions Supercamp in July/August of 2013.
http://icoachskating.com/comparing-triple-lutz-technique-lutz-analysis-trevor-laak/

The total length of the video is 15:50.
Analysis of Max's lutz begins at approx 4:45. Reprise of his lutz (incl. slo-mo) begins at approx 15:15.

Thx to SkateFiguring for the alert that for a limited time, this video and others are available at no cost.

This was FASCINATING. I have a super-analytical brain when it comes to this stuff and the Lutz has been a real problem for me, but that moment when he froze Max right at the point of the toe going in - and he was totally square - just completely flicked a switch for me. Seeing those freeze-frames makes me realise what I need to do and feel.

Aside: He speaks about Max's lower body air position not being as tight as it could be. I wonder if that might also be partly because of the size of his thighs? Larger thighs would create the bigger gap between his shins/calves. Whereas you look at some of the other US men, they have slimmer thighs (though still muscular, I am sure!) and achieve that tighter, cleaner look.

Good thing about figure skating: it welcomes all body types. :yes:

EDITED to add: Interesting that Brandon shows a little bit of that twisted/tilted body air position that gives me the heebie jeebies so much. I wonder where it comes from?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Gonna give Tom Z a round of applause for effort on that one. Also, A+ use of Zamboni.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In honor of this year's Champs Camp, which started today, a throwback video about last year's Champs Camp that includes b-roll of Max on the ice:

Champs Camp: Where Olympic champions are made
Champs Camp is an annual conference attended by U.S. Figure Skating athletes in order to prepare them for the upcoming season. (2:58 in length)
(This video is new to me, although USA Today posted it in Feb 2014 as a Sochi-related story. The video originally is from KUSA.)

(BTW, bittersweet to see a lot of Zawadzki footage in this piece. :eek:hwell:)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks for the video, golden411!

I actually spent a lot of time arguing with the guy they were interviewing. He was trying to make out like Champs Camp is always right and the skaters are wrong for arguing against what the officials say. But if Jason had listened to the officials at all, we would not have seen a cult ponytail, nor would we have seen the splendour that was Riverdance.

And for goodness' sake, they're talking hair, and no-one told Max the mop top was not a good look?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thanks for the video, golden411!

I actually spent a lot of time arguing with the guy they were interviewing. He was trying to make out like Champs Camp is always right and the skaters are wrong for arguing against what the officials say. But if Jason had listened to the officials at all, we would not have seen a cult ponytail, nor would we have seen the splendour that was Riverdance.

And for goodness' sake, they're talking hair, and no-one told Max the mop top was not a good look?

I like max's hair. . . can I see an example of this mop top you speak of?

. . . I was somewhat wondering if the hair cut line was a Jason dig. . . I find it so odd anyone even cares. He keeps it tidy for competition, seem there should be little to care about beyond that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like max's hair. . . can I see an example of this mop top you speak of?

. . . I was somewhat wondering if the hair cut line was a Jason dig. . . I find it so odd anyone even cares. He keeps it tidy for competition, seem there should be little to care about beyond that.

I think they referenced Jeremy's mohawk in when talking about the hair, which actually was not bad at all, but for me there was a little inference that perhaps Jason's ponytail was on the chopping block by the officials.

As to an example of Max's awful mop-top, just look at any picture of him between last Champs Camp and this one. The short sides, but the long curls on top - it looked awful. IMO. It made his hair look really greasy and unwashed. I much preferred his haircut circa his National title.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think they referenced Jeremy's mohawk in when talking about the hair, which actually was not bad at all, but for me there was a little inference that perhaps Jason's ponytail was on the chopping block by the officials.

As to an example of Max's awful mop-top, just look at any picture of him between last Champs Camp and this one. The short sides, but the long curls on top - it looked awful. IMO. It made his hair look really greasy and unwashed. I much preferred his haircut circa his National title.

SO. . . . his twitter pic https://twitter.com/MaxTAaron ? I was looking and my other half started to snicker and called it a bit too Jersey Shore. . . I kinda like the curls, but they could look less. . . . wet if we want to be more nice than greasy.

Not sure I would call it a "Mohawk" that is more of a "Id rather it look bad at first and grow out so I don't have to get a hair cut as soon" Which i am pretty forgiving of.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
SO. . . . his twitter pic https://twitter.com/MaxTAaron ? I was looking and my other half started to snicker and called it a bit too Jersey Shore. . . I kinda like the curls, but they could look less. . . . wet if we want to be more nice than greasy.

It was worse at some points in the season. Especially around Nationals time.

Not sure I would call it a "Mohawk" that is more of a "Id rather it look bad at first and grow out so I don't have to get a hair cut as soon" Which i am pretty forgiving of.

:laugh: Yes, maybe!

As another aside, I notice most male skaters tend to go clean-shaven during competition season. I wonder why? (Of course, Plushy is the exception, but I think by now he's just like, I'll do what I want!). I was just thinking this since in all of Jeremy's recent pictures he has a scruffy beard-thing going on. I don't think we've ever seen Max anything less than clean-shaven (with a shadow every now and again) and Josh started sporting a few scraggly hairs during the SOI tour (awwwwww).

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It was worse at some points in the season. Especially around Nationals time.

As another aside, I notice most male skaters tend to go clean-shaven during competition season. I wonder why? (Of course, Plushy is the exception, but I think by now he's just like, I'll do what I want!). I was just thinking this since in all of Jeremy's recent pictures he has a scruffy beard-thing going on. I don't think we've ever seen Max anything less than clean-shaven (with a shadow every now and again) and Josh started sporting a few scraggly hairs during the SOI tour (awwwwww).

Most guys with I talk to hate shaving but say they hate having/maintaining a beard more. They take a lot of work to maintain and look nice. They also can result in whiskers curling back and tickling your face until they grow longer and softer. Not to mention how long they take to grow in. Basically they are a bigger pain in the rear than some people realize, so my guess is it is not worth the work and headache to keep one looking nice and listen to the. . . comments, rather than just shave it off. Sorta like guys are rewarded for just being easy and lazy.

Then again a Star Trek program with a full Riker beard would certainly evoke some silly giggles of school girl joy in me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LOL, my two cents re Max's hair:
I liked his longer curls and never once thought that they looked greasy/wet. :confused2:
And as I mentioned in the Champs Camp thread, I missed them once they were trimmed (although I like Max's shorter curls too).
I don't think any particular hairstyle will make or break Max's pleasing appearance overall. He's young, and he's comfortable trying different looks. :cool:
http://instagram.com/p/XvYaZFh7bv/ [posted by @icenetwork in Apr 2013]​

... As another aside, I notice most male skaters tend to go clean-shaven during competition season. ...

Charlie White's faint quasi-goatee has been a counter-example. Doesn't make or break him either, IMO.

ETA, observations from the 2014 Champs Camp class photo from @usfigureskating:
(1) Max's longer curls from last season are gone, for better or worse.
(2) And LOL, this year, Max is sitting in the front row. Quite a change from last year, when he was standing in the very back row (my guess is that he was hanging with his pal Simon).
(3) Ashley Wagner has arrived at CC, although she apparently missed the group photo session.

ETA:
The best version of the 2014 Champs Camp class photo that I have seen:
https://twitter.com/christina_gao/status/503881370716741633/photo/1 (tweeted on Aug 25, the morning after the photo was taken)​
Max and others can be seen in entirety in this new one. The previous two versions suffered from excessive cropping.​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A few more observations:

1) Jason has definitely got broader in the chest. Good!

2) I see Josh is going for the emo goth look with slightly longer hair and the beard thing going on :laugh:

3) All of the girls look stunning. Howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww? That's so not fair to have that many gorgeous girls in one spot.

Glad Max got a front-row seat this year. Last year it looked so funny with all these tall guys in the back row then suddenly Max. :laugh: