A clean LP from Marchei: Amazing! Give you thoughts. | Golden Skate

A clean LP from Marchei: Amazing! Give you thoughts.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Hello everyone.

I don't know if I am posting this in the right place...

But, I just saw a beautiful and stunning(clean and flawless) long program skated by Valentina Marchei. We all know how Valentina has been improving in the last seasons and I really admire her for not giving up and keep skating.

Maybe the new "Akiko"? Who only got better with the aging.

I am not a fan of her, but, she has been growing on me and I have to say that her "The Artist" program is beautiful.

Please, give your thoughts about the program...

You can watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W3-MbkdFOM

Another angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0FaiuCNdkg

Note how she can get height and distance in her jumps. Also, she is fast and has good skills.

Hugs from Brazil.

mateusp1

On the Ice
How I would score this program:

3Lz +2
2A +1
3S +2
FSSp +1
StSq +1
3T +2
3Lz+2T +1 (difficult entrance)
ChSq +1
2A +1
LSp +2
3S+2T+2T +1
CCoSp +1

Skating Skills: 8,00
Transitions: 7,25
Performance/Execution: 8,25
Choreography: 7,75(maybe 8,00)
Interpretation: 7,75(maybe 8,00)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That was great! I agree with your marks. The only thing is she needs a few more transitions between jumps in the first half. I like how she used the whole ice surface of her step sequence.

mateusp1

On the Ice
:clap: :clap: :clap:

That was great! I agree with your marks. The only thing is she needs a few more transitions between jumps in the first half. I like how she used the whole ice surface of her step sequence.

I agree with the comment about the transitions. The first part is not empty, but more transitions would make the program better.

Also, some aspects I would like to point:

1- She could have put one more combo. She made only two combinations(3Lz+2T, 3S+2T+2T), she could have put a 2A+2T or... Perform 3Lz, 2A+2T+2T, 3S, 3T, 3Lz+2T, 2A, 3S+2T, since I find 2A+2T to be a little "too easy" and 3S+2T is an OK combo.

2- Her spins does not help with base value. She could try a FCCoSp in the place of the layback. I think that Layback Spins in the LP should be done only by skaters who are known for their great layback's(Mirai, Alissa, Caroline Zhang, for example). I would keep the sit spin, since she seems to prefer it over the camel and the difference is only 0,2 point.

3- This competition was held AFTER worlds, which is pretty impressive, considering that most skaters give a break and stop training after Worlds.

4- I hope she keeps this program for Sochi. I really like it!

Moment

Final Flight
Why doesn't she attempt a loop or a flip? I guess she lips, but why not a loop? Having only five triples would hurt the base value by a pretty large margin.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Why doesn't she attempt a loop or a flip? I guess she lips, but why not a loop? Having only five triples would hurt the base value by a pretty large margin.

What happens to Valentina also happens to Agnes Zawadzki and Elene Gedevanishvili. This 3 skaters have great lutz, salchow, axel and toeloop. But, they lip and their loop is bad.

Moment

Final Flight
If she can land her flip consistently, she could try it once in the free, get some deductions and still score higher.

This was a very good performance. Thanks for sharing.

mateusp1

On the Ice
If she can land her flip consistently, she could try it once in the free, get some deductions and still score higher.

This was a very good performance. Thanks for sharing.

Valentina includes the flip in more importante competitions(worlds, for example)

burntBREAD

Medalist
At Euros I believe, Valentina made her first 2A (the second jumping pass) a 2A+3T. Elsewhere in her Grand Prixs, she did a 2A+2T.

Country
Russia
Good for Valentina, yes, really good FS for her (if we forget her corrupted SP at the same competition).
Even better than at Euro-2013.

But 3 different triples and only 5 triples in FS - too poor technical level for world leaders.

So her state - No 2 of Italian Team, little chance for Euro medal and no chance for Worlds or Olympics medal - is not changed.

At Euros I believe, Valentina made her first 2A (the second jumping pass) a 2A+3T. Elsewhere in her Grand Prixs, she did a 2A+2T.

Yes, at Euro she landed 3Lz, 2A+3T, 2Lz, 3S, 3Lz+1T, 2A, 3S<+2T+2T. Also only three different triples at FS. And at both GP Events (USA and Russia) she landed 2A+2T and at all was worse than at Euro.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Valentina includes the flip in more importante competitions(worlds, for example)
Well, during the 2011-2012 season she used to plan the flip in all her competitions, and she landed one of her best 3F at SA (her first international competition after her 2011 Euros injury): at 0:47 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrykoyjUy2A; you can see another so-and-so 3F during her 2011 CoC FS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HkOKJhwzs). She always received the "e", but at least she was able to land the jump. She actually planned the 3F only once this season, at Worlds, but she popped it and then took it out of her program (probably after the disastrous SP) at the Gardena Trophy. But she doesn't have the loop at all, so she could never present a 7-triples program.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Well, during the 2011-2012 season she used to plan the flip in all her competitions, and she landed one of her best 3F at SA (her first international competition after her 2011 Euros injury): at 0:47 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrykoyjUy2A; you can see another so-and-so 3F during her 2011 CoC FS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HkOKJhwzs). She always received the "e", but at least she was able to land the jump. She actually planned the 3F only once this season, at Worlds, but she popped it and then took it out of her program (probably after the disastrous SP) at the Gardena Trophy. But she doesn't have the loop at all, so she could never present a 7-triples program.

Here we have another GREAT program from Vale(including a nice lip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgOVd9GZs9w

Two beautiful lutzes. Two beautiful salchows and a nice "lip". But, there is a fall.

It seems that Valentina skates better in smaller competitions. We can see that she has potential and is able to jump and spin, but the nerves might be the major aspect. She has great spirals too.

Also, I have to say that I LOVE her bubbly and spicey personality.

I do not know if I am correct, but it seems that the results of her partnership with Yuka/Jason are starting to show up slowly.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Every dog has its day.

Please, just try to have a positive attitude about her. She did not give up, which is very nice. She is the second oldest skater(only Akiko is older than her) and started to improve in the last seasons. I know that she may not get a medal at worlds or Olympics, but her skating is getting nicer.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Wonderful performance. I love her skating style, and am excited to see her perform in the upcoming season. Did she get any GPs?

mateusp1

On the Ice
Wonderful performance. I love her skating style, and am excited to see her perform in the upcoming season. Did she get any GPs?

Yes... Valentina got Skate America and NHK Trophy.

I would like to see her with a medal, at least. But, the events she got have very deep fields. If she skated at Cup of China or Cup of Russia, she could have a chance to get a bronze at least in one of these competitions.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Yes... Valentina got Skate America and NHK Trophy.

I would like to see her with a medal, at least. But, the events she got have very deep fields. If she skated at Cup of China or Cup of Russia, she could have a chance to get a bronze at least in one of these competitions.

Great! I look forward to seeing her then. I'd love to see her with a medal too, yet you're right the fields are deep - but you never know!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest her 8th place finish at Worlds is probably as good s it will get for Valentina. She's already 27 and i can't see her getting much better. My question is what is going to happen to Italy in Ladies skating when both her and Kostner retire? They have been carrying ladies skating for a decade now with no competition at home.