What would podium in Sochi be if Kostner, Asada, and Kim all go clean | Golden Skate

What would podium in Sochi be if Kostner, Asada, and Kim all go clean

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If at the Olympics Kim, Asada, and Kostner all skate cleanly what would the order of finish between the three have been. It is interesting as before Vancouver nobody would have asked this question. All 3 skating cleanly at that event would have always been Kim >>>>>> Asada >>>>> Kostner (with probably several others above Kostner in that scenario too). Yet despite Kim's dominant win at Worlds, it seems the general feeling this time around is it would be much closer in that hypothetical scenario than Vancouver ever would have been. It is also believed it is unlikely we will even see Asada or Kostner skate cleanly to find out, so the only place this scenario might play out is in the hypothetical discussions about it anyway, but just in the unlikely event it were to occur what would the final order of finish of the podium be this time around.

Of these three it is clear Asada would receive by far the lowest PCS and GOE of the trio if all three went clean, yet her planned base value is quite a bit higher isnt it. So that would still make it close.

BTW the other skaters need no consideration in this thread as if Kim, Kostner, and Asada were to all skate cleanly, nobody else woud have a hope to medal at the Sochi Olympics even with 9 triples, so the hypothetical thread title shuts out all other skates automatically and they need no discussing in this thread, only these three (eg- please no crazy Sotnikova fans saying well what if Adelina skated cleanly too, lol).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I believe Kim would still eke out the win, and Asada would eke out 2nd place over Kostner only due to the much higher base value. I do believe at the 2013 Worlds Kostner had a better shot than she will have at the 2014 Olympis, since she has given up her status as World Champion.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it depends what Asada attempts. We know what Yuna and Kostner will try. I think Mao would win if everyone is clean because of her base value but Yuna can hit her programs under pressure while Mao typically doesn't come close to being clean.

Eclair

Medalist
Under clean I understand: no UR/falls/edge problems

When all three went clean, I think it woud turn out: 1. Mao 2. Kostner 3. Yuna, assuming they keep their current layout and don't add/cancel jumps or spins.

Mao has the highest base value of these three, and although her skating skill may not be as good as Caro's or Yuna's, her spins, footwork sequence, delicate and elegant presentation will enable her big PCS. But this require her going clean, becuase if she doesn't her PCS also won't be as generous as needed to win over Kostner or Yuna. But if she does go clean, that would be awesome, since it's an 8 triple-programm performed by a unusually graceful skater.

Caro has a loop in her repertoire, while attemping 3flip-3toe, while Yuna doesn't do the loop, but does 3lutz-3toe. They both get positive GOE for spins and footwork, therefore because of the loop, Caro's going to get the edge over Yuna.

But I reckon Mao and Caro going completly clean as very unlikely. Mao has edge problems on her lutz, as she flutzes, while Caro has never skated a long programm cleanly yet. These problems will not disappear magically, as they're very hard to change. More likely, what will happen if there are no visible errors?
T

BTW the other skaters need no consideration in this thread as if Kim, Kostner, and Asada were to all skate cleanly, nobody else woud have a hope to medal at the Sochi Olympics even with 9 triples, so the hypothetical thread title shuts out all other skates automatically and they need no discussing in this thread, only these three (eg- please no crazy Sotnikova fans saying well what if Adelina skated cleanly too, lol).

What a mind-blowing question! And though Mathman is probably right that it won't happen, we came really, really close to this in Vancouver: a first flight with no falls. So we can dream, can't we?

I suspect Kim would still win, and that wouldn't be a bad thing, because it would cement her as one of the greatest skaters ever, or maybe the greatest. Of course I also have a hope that Asada can pull it off, because I'd love to see her earn a gold for the extraordinary artistry and flow of her skating. But if these three ladies are at the top of their game (which would be an exhilarating experience for fans of any or all of them), I think I can safely say that I wouldn't be disappointed at any of them winning. Golly! It would be like watching three miracles at once.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Asada would dominate in BV, followed by Kim, then Kostner.

However, Kim's PCS would be through the stratosphere. Then Kostner, then Asada (by at least a few points).

So, if all three were clean (how wonderful would that be?), then I predict the podium to go Kim (by a narrow margin) > Asada > Kostner.

torren

Rinkside
two cleans at Olympic, maybe it is the dream of every skaters... and I know it is unlikely to happen
but if I just imagine, Maybe mao asada > yuna kim > carolina kostner?

By the way, I'm really, really want to see perfect 2 cleans by Mao before she retiring and I hope she will be able to make it in Sochi

mateusp1

On the Ice
I think that will be Asada with Gold, Caro with silver and Yuna with bronze. But, I am thinking about the three being flawless and skating very clean, up to their potential.

venlac

On the Ice
However, Kim's PCS would be through the stratosphere. Then Kostner, then Asada (by at least a few points).

In 2013 WC, PCS gap between kim and carolina was total-3 points(it's same with gap between Carolina and Mao), even if carolina had falls and kim had clean programs, difference was not huge
I think if two go clean, judges will give kim the PCS a 1 point? more than Carolina

ForeverFish

Medalist
In 2013 WC, PCS gap between kim and carolina was total-3 points(it's same with gap between Carolina and Mao), although carolina had falls and kim had clean programs, difference was not huge.
I think if two go clean, judges will give kim the PCS 1 point? more than Carolina

Yuna skated cleanly in Vancouver and received 71 points in PCS. In London, she received 73. The upward trend may continue as the Olympic season approaches.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Also, do not forget that Carolina jump layout depends on the program she is skating(I mean, the LP). She can change her jumping layout for Sochi. Yuna has been keeping her jump layout in the last couple of seasons. Carolina changes the layout every season, and, even during the seasons, she changes the planned jumps.

Layfan

Record Breaker
What about GOE? I always thought Kim had a advantage when it came to the GOE of her cleanly landed jumps, or at least some of them.

ForeverFish

Medalist
What about GOE? I always thought Kim had a advantage when it came to the GOE of her cleanly landed jumps, or at least some of them.

It's being assumed that Asada will have the highest GOE due to her ambitious technical layouts (at least one 3A, several more triples in combination). However, in a typical competition where perfection is rare, Kim usually receives the highest TES because she can execute difficult content cleanly.

mateusp1

On the Ice

Depends on the jump.

Carolina and Mao can get more GOE than Yuna for Steps and Spirals.

Moment

Final Flight
Mao won't skate clean, sorry. I know this may sound harsh but it's true. This year's 4CCs performances are as good as she can get.

There is a hypothetical situation Carolina skating both her short and free, in terms of individual elements. She has proven she can nail elements with good technique. However, things go different if the whole skate is involved. The first half of Boléro is basically her skating through from element to element, pulling out big tricks afraid of messing up the whole thing. She does not fully take control of her whole performance in the way Yuna does.

Still, I would give the benefit of the doubt to Carolina, however slim I think her chances of skating both segments clean.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Depends on the jump.

Carolina and Mao can get more GOE than Yuna for Steps and Spirals.

oh, for sure. But I did think that getting GOE on the most difficult jumps (3lutz combo for instance) would give you a bigger advantage than bit GOEs on steps and spiral and even spins. This is hardly an area where I'm an expert, but I'm surprised to hear that it's being assumed that Asada would have the highest GOE. I know she tries the difficult jumps - I love her for it (though I love her more for her exquisite style) _ but I didn't think she really had big jumps and I though she had edge/rotation problems.