The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Totally correct! People are acting like ice dance improved under COP!

... I know I'm new to the party, but I actually like a lot of COP ice dance routines. Of the disciplines, ice dance seems to have suffered minimal artistic damage (although I have hated most of the SDs, especially the often painful blending of musical/dancing styles that don't match). *hides behind a wall*

BlackPack

Medalist
Thats the system now! It doesn't mean it's good at all or in any way! That is what marina annissina was talking about. What margaglio talks about! What so many legends in ice dance talk about! Visible intricacy in lifts or spins or steps now means ice dance by doesn't mean great ice dance! Like with t/d in 1984 that's the pinnacle of dance. And it's not cop!

Again, I'm not talking about aesthetics. I'm simply saying that Marina probably won't win anything or be ranked very well (at least in a placement that's not embarrassing for a former Olympic Champion) given the level of difficulty she has to master.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Additionally, she and her partner would have to learn the Finnstep, which didn't exist when she was competing. If she's been coaching, she probably knows the steps, but she's never competed it. It's hard to believe she is serious.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Has anyone heard if Gwendal plans a return too? Or is she looking for a partner? Maybe Zhulin could come out of retirement. A miracle from Shalabiin? What about that Zueva's son the Gap model guy from Canada? Surely there is some old hollywood song for the freedance about a washed up actress who comes back for her final close up. What about a freedance to memories of the way Marina was before, misty sequinned memories of the way she was

BlackPack

Medalist
Has anyone heard if Gwendal plans a return too? Or is she looking for a partner? Maybe Zhulin could come out of retirement. A miracle from Shalabiin? What about that Zueva's son the Gap model guy from Canada? Surely there is some old hollywood song for the freedance about a washed up actress who comes back for her final close up. What about a freedance to memories of the way Marina was before, misty sequinned memories of the way she was

You're just being facetious ;) Zhulin is old and out of shape for competitive skating. He's never done the level of difficulty required now. And he's Russian. If Shabalin could continue to compete with that busted knee, he would have continued till this day. Plus he's Russian. They have to skate for France.

Fedor Andeev is not known for his discipline. He tried out everything - singles, ice dancing, etc. but never amounted to much. Hard to tell if he is talented at all. He's certainly nowhere near Marina's work ethic, and Marina will kill him. :laugh: And he will have to skate for France. 5 years of residency in France for a citizenship.

You mean Marina skating to something like the Sunset Boulevard? Could work. I have a suspicion Marina may be too proud for the theme of the aging actress going for a last hurrah.

The best partner is still Gwendal. He's been commentating for French TV. If Marina pointed a gun at his head, he might do it.

I actually find it hard to believe that we are discussing this in a serious manner at all. It is absolute madness. :laugh:

BlackPack

Medalist
I really like it.:slink:

A/P's "Carmina Buerana" was amazing, but I think V/M or D/W would also create amazing art with the same music.

Yes, V&M and D&W as well as others have consistently created masterpieces under COP - A flawed and soul-crushing system, but creative skaters still have managed to transcend it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gwendal did a demonstration skate with Tiffany Zahorski this last year or so, after she and Miart broke up, so Gwendal is likely rmore in shape than Zhulin...or probably than Marina Anissina.

I can't find the vid right now.

BlackPack

Medalist
Well, Italy could ask F-P/M to come back as well for the second time, so we could see another battle for the 2002 Olympic gold in 2014! ;)

We all know that Maurizio will once again trip Babs just to spite her :laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Most points doesn't mean good or anything like that! Right now it is how much you can move nonstop and like Marina says repetition! Like do a lot of nonsense moves that have no relation to music or interpretation or artistic reflection! It's all non stop motion that seldom has anything to do with music that's being skated to!

The flip side to this, of course, is that so much of 6.0 dance relied on UBERTRAUMADRAMA. Sorta like some silent movies. And just as entertaining in a very camp way.

The one thing dance has lost under 6.0 is an appreciation for moves that technically simple, but choreographically profound. Think, for instance, of the foot shuffles in Torvil and Dean's Mack and Mabel program. Simple, but very effective and often beautiful.

The flip side to this, of course, is that so much of 6.0 dance relied on UBERTRAUMADRAMA. Sorta like some silent movies. And just as entertaining in a very camp way.

The one thing dance has lost under 6.0 is an appreciation for moves that technically simple, but choreographically profound. Think, for instance, of the foot shuffles in Torvil and Dean's Mack and Mabel program. Simple, but very effective and often beautiful.

I like the parallel to silent movies you've created. Not to argue against you, but I have to point out that many silent movies had a transcendent beauty precisely because they didn't depend on dialogue. At their best, their "vocabulary" had a huge range. Contrary to the rather cliche'd view of exaggerated emotions and garish make-up from lesser films, some were visual poetry: Garbo's Flesh and the Devil, for example, or the German expressionists' works. I mention that because a lot of 6.0 skating programs had a similar range, as you say technically simple but choreographically profound.

Which is not to say that Annissina could mount a successful comeback this season. But what she and Piezerat accomplished was every bit as powerful as anything skated today.

Mattieu

Medalist
Gwendal did a demonstration skate with Tiffany Zahorski this last year or so, after she and Miart broke up, so Gwendal is likely rmore in shape than Zhulin...or probably than Marina Anissina.

I can't find the vid right now.

I think it was Olivier Schoenfelder who did the ISU demonstration skate with Tiffany Zahorski, not Gwendal ;)
It would be good if you have a link to a video of that :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You're just being facetious ;) Zhulin is old and out of shape for competitive skating. He's never done the level of difficulty required now. And he's Russian. If Shabalin could continue to compete with that busted knee, he would have continued till this day. Plus he's Russian. They have to skate for France.

Fedor Andeev is not known for his discipline. He tried out everything - singles, ice dancing, etc. but never amounted to much. Hard to tell if he is talented at all. He's certainly nowhere near Marina's work ethic, and Marina will kill him. :laugh: And he will have to skate for France. 5 years of residency in France for a citizenship.

You mean Marina skating to something like the Sunset Boulevard? Could work. I have a suspicion Marina may be too proud for the theme of the aging actress going for a last hurrah.

The best partner is still Gwendal. He's been commentating for French TV. If Marina pointed a gun at his head, he might do it.

I actually find it hard to believe that we are discussing this in a serious manner at all. It is absolute madness. :laugh:

Oh BlackPack you are no fun. Of course we are just playing. You make it sound like Marina has a lot of violence in her to get what she wants lol. She should do what Susan Lucci does - she makes it work for what she is. The actress is now playing some batty aging beauty/divorcee . marina needs to embrace her esxperience. Like Lucci''s character saying after the break up with the pool boy: He said it would be too embarassing to introduce me to his friends, he said I looked like I was forty" to which the maid says "well that's pretty good considering your close to sxity" Lucci then cries in agnst. Marina embrace yourself or at least brace yourself; it is going to be a bumpy ride/skate.

BlackPack

Medalist
Oh BlackPack you are no fun. Of course we are just playing. You make it sound like Marina has a lot of violence in her to get what she wants lol. She should do what Susan Lucci does - she makes it work for what she is. The actress is now playing some batty aging beauty/divorcee . marina needs to embrace her esxperience. Like Lucci''s character saying after the break up with the pool boy: He said it would be too embarassing to introduce me to his friends, he said I looked like I was forty" to which the maid says "well that's pretty good considering your close to sxity" Lucci then cries in agnst. Marina embrace yourself or at least brace yourself; it is going to be a bumpy ride/skate.

I think she does need to get violent to get what she wants, because no rational person is going to go along with her :popcorn:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have really missed A/P and would welcome them back with enthusiasm.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really miss Gordeeva and Grinkov but we can't bring them back :( I love Klimova and Pomarenko but they are even older :( What about Bourne and Kraatz while we are at it theya re one team who one would think deserved an olympic medal.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I really miss Gordeeva and Grinkov but we can't bring them back :( I love Klimova and Pomarenko but they are even older :( What about Bourne and Kraatz while we are at it they are one team who one would think deserved an olympic medal.

In my opinion nobody "deserves" an Olympic medal, it has to be won.

BlackPack

Medalist
With all these talks about Olympic comebacks, this is looking like the Night of the Living Dead zombies on ice.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well if we are to resign ourselves with Gwendel and Marina returnign I note both used their hair well for artistic merit. If Gwendel has his locks still they might as well go with waht they have. Marina can share some of that hair dye and they can go as modern day Rageddy Ann and Andy.

I still remember how her hair looked against that blue costume for Romeo and Juliet, my favorite of their programs. I'm normally not a fan of crayon-red hair, but she sold me with that program.

BlackPack

Medalist
Yes, I agree. With all the jokes about Gwendal's lion mane and Marina's OTT red hair, their look on the ice was utterly stunning. Their hair deepened their dramatic look.