The JSF, Japan and their media has mishandled Mao's talent | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The JSF, Japan and their media has mishandled Mao's talent

let`s talk

Match Penalty
You missed my point I know Mao is beloved but I was talking about the presure becauce of ther talent they expected so much of her.
It's vice versa. I mean about missing the point. Mao is not under any bigger pressure than Daisuke, and even Yuzu last season. And none of them is not even near under the type of pressure that Plu deals daily with his country media for his entire career.

venlac

On the Ice
Actually that was not the point I was trying to make. JFS loves mao becasue as the writer from Japan times said she is a waling conglomerate. She brings money for the sport. So it could be a case of too much love (which she does deserve because she is the best Japanese lady) but it could be a case of her feeling the presure to compete all the time because of sponsers, tv rating and so on.......

I can't agree with wrong way of love of the federation. but It is sure that it is not her fault. And your last sentence is understandable

Serious Business

Record Breaker
What is the exact meaning of it?

There are lots of people who make money because Mao is competing. TV stations get money from the ratings she brings. Companies who sponsor her get exposure because of her. Her agents and managers make money from her. There are ice shows built around her funded by various investors. Some of those people are no doubt begging her to continue to compete, so they can keep making money.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I can't feel bad for Mao because, as others have said, she is rich and famous from figure skating and has achieved almost every accomplishment in the sport. In every country you see the influence of the famous skaters from the previous generations: American women had great spirals after Michelle, Russians are better spinner probably due to Irina's influence, and I think no country has had more ladies attempt the 3A that Japan due to Midori's influence. Mao's skating is tailored for 6.0, with the all the difficulty but sometimes shaky technique. Not one of her triples is fully reliable, as she even has problems with her previously strong 3R and 3F. I don't think any of this is due to the media or pressure from the Japanese public, but rather the fact that she has gotten older, her body has changed a bit, and her jump technique wasn't strong enough to transition into adulthood. As far as competing to please sponsors, that is her choice to cash in on her fame.

cooper

Medalist
im sure she has a lot pressure but at least she's not alone in japan in terms of the pressure she's dealing with.. there are other top japanese skaters.. and to say that yuna has less pressure is absurd.. yuna is the ONLY ONE in korea.. she's single-handedly carrying the torch of her country..she doesn't have her own ice rink.. she doesn't have a strong/influential federation that can do politicking behind the scene for her.. she doesn't have the skating tradition.. she had to work harder 10x more.. i even think mao is lucky.. it's like being born with a silver spoon in her mouth.. all she needs is to skate.. she doesn't have to worry about other things..

minze

Medalist
I can't feel bad for Mao because, as others have said, she is rich and famous from figure skating and has achieved almost every accomplishment in the sport. In every country you see the influence of the famous skaters from the previous generations: American women had great spirals after Michelle, Russians are better spinner probably due to Irina's influence, and I think no country has had more ladies attempt the 3A that Japan due to Midori's influence. Mao's skating is tailored for 6.0, with the all the difficulty but sometimes shaky technique. Not one of her triples is fully reliable, as she even has problems with her previously strong 3R and 3F. I don't think any of this is due to the media or pressure from the Japanese public, but rather the fact that she has gotten older, her body has changed a bit, and her jump technique wasn't strong enough to transition into adulthood. As far as competing to please sponsors, that is her choice to cash in on her fame.

Ummm this thread was not to talk about Mao's technical abilities or problems. By the way never said feel sorry for Mao

minze

Medalist
im sure she has a lot pressure but at least she's not alone in japan in terms of the pressure she's dealing with.. there are other top japanese skaters.. and to say that yuna has less pressure is absurd.. yuna is the ONLY ONE in korea.. she's single-handedly carrying the torch of her country..she doesn't have her own ice rink.. she doesn't have a strong/influential federation that can do politicking behind the scene for her.. she doesn't have the skating tradition.. she had to work harder 10x more.. i even think mao is lucky.. it's like being born with a silver spoon in her mouth.. all she needs is to skate.. she doesn't have to worry about other things..

Mea culpa, I should have none better than to make a reference about Yuna in Mao thread, because it comes across as a comparisson thread. I dont think we need another thread to compare those to. but I take the blame I only used her as a reference.

minze

Medalist
By the way. Why is it that when some disagree with someone's opinion some people call it off base, absurd? I dont get it? people can have different opinions. Argue your point without using charge words like absurd, off base and so on... And no my intention with this thread was not to disscuss Mao jumps. I was making a point of putting too much pressure on one athlete my media, federation and fans.

The reason for my point was an article that outlined the reasons why Mao was going to be pressured not to retired. So, I thought about how much pressure they have put in one athlete. Again Mea culpa for using Kim as a reference to make my point. I was just saying in my opinion a country with a strong tradition in one sport puts more pressure in their athletes to win.

Again, I was not pleading for anyone to feel sorry for Mao, since I started my thread saying she is one of the great skaters and probably financeaily stable

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The reason for my point was an article that outlined the reasons why Mao was going to be pressured not to retired.
There is no other Lady of the same caliber nearby. Ladies segment in Japan can be quite in trouble after Sochi. One more reason why people with certain powers put her under pressure not to quit. She is one Oly circle (5 years) yonger than another cash cow Daisuke, who will more than likely retire after 2014. And all attemps made the star from someone else ended up with nothing in particular. So, seems like Mao is the only ace card that could be available after Sochi. I told before that all tickets sales, TV rights sales are based on Mao an Dai's paritcipations in events. If they are BOTH gone, that would be a disaster for fs market. So, I believe Mao will be convinced to stay.

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
Mao is still a multi-World Champ, Olympic medalist, multi-millionaire who has broken all kinds of records in figure skating. Would she be happier if there was less pressure and scrutiny? Probably. But I don't get the impression that she can't handle it.
Oh, she can definitely handle it, she's not a headcase or anything. But that doesn't mean that I can't feel bad for her all the same because of said pressure. I feel bad for Yuna, too. Just call me a sap! :p

this thread reeks of being inflamed and strated by a Yuna Uber which is as bad.
I really don't think a Yuna uber would have said that Yuna didn't face that much pressure, lmao. Not every thread that isn't 100% favorable to your faves (and I don't think this thread was even bashing Mao, just talking about how a lot of pressure was put on her, which actually garners a lot of sympathy) is started by a rival fan. Some of you sound so paranoid when you talk like that, lol.

(Are you now going to tell me that the poster just said that about Yuna to cover their tracks? Well, it takes all kinds, I guess... )

minze

Medalist
There is no other Lady of the same caliber nearby. Ladies segment in Japan can be quite in trouble after Sochi. One more reason why people with certain powers put her under pressure not to quit. She is one Oly circle (5 years) yonger than another cash cow Daisuke, who will more than likely retire after 2014. And all attemps made the star from someone else ended up with nothing in particular. So, seems like Mao is the only ace card that could be available after Sochi. I told before that all tickets sales, TV rights sales are based on Mao an Dai's paritcipations in events. If they are BOTH gone, that would be a disaster for fs market. So, I believe Mao will be convinced to stay.
For those accusing me of being a yuna uber or a mao hater please click on my name and previous post. I am a mao fan, so please stop saying that. Discussions get to personal here.