Makaraova's career if she had medalled at the 2011 Worlds | Golden Skate

Makaraova's career if she had medalled at the 2011 Worlds

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Looking back at the 2011 Worlds it appears Makarova actually had a really good shot at the bronze medal had she skated her best. The judges already put her 3rd in the short over a clean Leonova with the same jumps, with both higher TES and PCS, which indicates the judges considered her Russian #1 then (a huge contrast to 2012 Worlds SP when skating cleanly with the same jumps Leonova was a whopping 6 points above). She also received some very generous PCS for her quite bad LP performance with many mistakes, higher than Mao Asada for instance, and much higher than Murakami who always beat her easily in juniors. Had she scored about the same as Leonova in the long she would have had enough to hold onto the bronze overall. Would her career since have panned out differently had she medalled at those Worlds.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's impossible. She had become an sp skater only. She had a specialty and it was the sP and it was amazing that she got to euros and worlds based on sp. No lutz no flip barely other triples. I can't buy the foundation but ... No can't buy the foundation.

Whatever if she medaled she would've been gone same time.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
In the SP, she can get away with 3T3T and 3Lo.
In the LP, no matter how you slice it, she won't be competitive. There's no way she can medal at the 2011 Worlds.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
She was actually capable of a 3F in 2011 (she landed it in the FS with a +0.70 GOE), her problem was that she was never able to land both her loops well... At worlds, the first was clean, the second << with a fall; at Euros she popped both of them; at Nationals she landed one loop with 0 GOE and completely missed one of the 3S; during the GP she was planning the 3Lz and only one loop but never skated clean... When she changed coach, they took the lutz away; she then lost her 3F, too, now there's no hope for her unless she brings back at least one of them...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Makarova was seemingly making good progress on jumps as shown by 2010 skate Canada but it all regressed. Her end point was always within the 2010-2014 quad! Even if she won a euro or world medal. She surprisingly became an ace sp competitor! Really good but even with skating lp cleanly the base value of jumps was too low. She was not Mao or kostner in pcs.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
In the SP, she can get away with 3T3T and 3Lo.
In the LP, no matter how you slice it, she won't be competitive. There's no way she can medal at the 2011 Worlds.

I don't like that the scoring system allows women to avoid the two hardest triples commonly done, yet still place high in the short. I don't know of any way to fix that, but under the old system at least you could use the SP to weed out skaters who can't jump well enough in the long to win. Yes, there are skaters who skate well in the short and not in the long but this is a bit different because the SP with toes and a loop does not show technical difficulty needed to compete for the top spots.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't like that the scoring system allows women to avoid the two hardest triples commonly done, yet still place high in the short. I don't know of any way to fix that, but under the old system at least you could use the SP to weed out skaters who can't jump well enough in the long to win. Yes, there are skaters who skate well in the short and not in the long but this is a bit different because the SP with toes and a loop does not show technical difficulty needed to compete for the top spots.

Except If your kostner and Mao! Lol! True there should be a mandatory flip or lutz in the sp!!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

She certainly could have taken a medal if she skated her LP perfectly. Look at Kostner WINNING the World Championships in 2012, with no Lutz and only 5 Triples (3 of which were easier ones) in total.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She certainly could have taken a medal if she skated her LP perfectly. Look at Kostner WINNING the World Championships in 2012, with no Lutz and only 5 Triples (3 of which were easier ones) in total.

A third tier skater with third tier programs and third tier packaging cannot emulate Kostner's successful formula.
Imagine Adelina doing 3T and 3Lo and 1 Flip now. Good luck getting a medal in the GP. You can't possibly believe what you wrote.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

I think a 3T3T is harder than a 3Lz-2T. But that's moot point since the ordinal system is out. You can place high in the short, but still lose badly in the LP. You don't have to weed anyone else out because in the LP, skaters like this girl weed themselves out. There's justice in the new system because of the Zayak rule and the 7 jumping passes force them to do something else.
So, don't worry about these girls crowding the top spots.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Eh, in Europe it's okay. Korpi and Lepisto did well with 3t-3t and 3lo in the SP, and Kiira I guess can do a lutz and a flip but not consistently, Laura never even attempted the flip and lutz was not a good jump for her. Anyways Lepisto won a bronze medal at Worlds with a 3t-3t and 3lo SP (where she didn't even land her 2a cleanly) then in the FS she did 3t-3t, a 3lz that wasn't really fully rotated and was quite awkward looking, 2lo-2t, 2a, 2s-2t-2t, 2a. That's novice level content but she won a World medal anyways. Gedevanishvilli has medaled at Euros twice and she does 3s as her solo jump along with a 3lz-2t, 3t-3t, or 3lz-3t (rarely), and for a long time she wasn't doing 3lo or 3f at all so her triples in the FS were 3lz, 3t, 3s only. Marchei was 4th at Euros this year and 3rd in the SP with 3s as her solo jump in the SP (with a 3lz-2t combo) and no 3lo in the FS (and for some time, she was not attempting 3f either). So in Europe, the ladies can be competitive with 2 or 3 reliable triples (if it's 2 though, 1 needs to be harder than 3t or 3s), and if they get lucky sometimes the ladies can do well at Worlds with this content.

snsd

On the Ice
She is the most disappointing for me, as I find her the most interesting and enjoyable Russian lady at the moment.

Even with the mistakes on the jumps, there is something about her I like. Rough around the edges but I like her a lot!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Makarova never mastered the lutz and her success rate with the flip was only 50-50, even when she was rotating it. Her biggest problem since 2010 has been URs, and that has seemingly ended her time in the limelight---she didn't get even one GP invitation. You have to wonder if the Russian federation even submitted her name for consideration.

Even in her 'glory' days, it was her SP that kept her in contention. Her FS was always a problem for her. Then there were her FS choices--remember the horrible 'Marilyn' debacle? IMO that program was the start of her slide into oblivion.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Makarova never mastered the lutz and her success rate with the flip was only 50-50, even when she was rotating it. Her biggest problem since 2010 has been URs, and that has seemingly ended her time in the limelight---she didn't get even one GP invitation. You have to wonder if the Russian federation even submitted her name for consideration.

Even in her 'glory' days, it was her SP that kept her in contention. Her FS was always a problem for her. Then there were her FS choices--remember the horrible 'Marilyn' debacle? IMO that program was the start of her slide into oblivion.

I think it's because she's not competing this season that she didn't get a GP....

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
A third tier skater with third tier programs and third tier packaging cannot emulate Kostner's successful formula.

That's a ridiculous assessment. Makarova was a very talented skater and received good scores when she skated well. She definitely would have won a medal at 2011 Worlds if she skated her LP perfectly. End of story.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gurl, a very talented skater should have at least one talent. Everyone, except Johnny Weir, doesn't think being a Russian is a talent.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's a ridiculous assessment. Makarova was a very talented skater and received good scores when she skated well. She definitely would have won a medal at 2011 Worlds if she skated her LP perfectly. End of story.

Except Makarova never skated her FS perfectly.

At Worlds 2011, she was 3rd in the SP and 9th in the FS with 3f, 3t+3t<, 3lo, 3lo<<↓+sq, 2a+2t+2t, 3s*+2t*, 2a, with a TES of 46.52. She was 7th, 17 points out of 3rd place overall. Even if she skated cleanly (and she never could do that, with the URs), she wouldn't make up that 17 point difference.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Except Makarova never skated her FS perfectly.

...but that was the whole point of discussion. IF she had skated her FS perfectly, would she have won a medal? The answer is definitely yes. People are saying she didn't have enough tech content to medal even if she was perfect, but she did. Her technical score potentially could have been almost 17 points higher if everything was delivered clean with no < and her PCS surely would have gone up with that kind of performance as well, which puts her into the Bronze medal position.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kostner won bronze at 2011 Worlds. No way would Makarova get higher PCS scores than Carolina, even if Ksenia was clean (that's about a 90-1 shot) and Carolina wasn't.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Makarova wouldn't get higher PCS, she would get higher technical. Plus she already had a lead in the SP.