The Quadruple Jump for the Ladies in Sochi | Golden Skate

The Quadruple Jump for the Ladies in Sochi

christinaskater

Medalist
Rumour has it that 2 top skaters are practicing a quad jump.

In the past, Surya, Sasha and Miki have done the most difficult of jumps, with Miki, being the only one to get full credit.

Who among the ladies' do you reckon could do this in Sochi?

I think Yu-Na Kim, Carolina Kostner, Miki Ando, Gracie Gold & Mao Asada are capable of this currently.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao has troubles even rotating her triples so it ain't happening and Miki was watering down her jumps the last few years and is almost 26 now. I don't see Carolina trying a quad and Gracie would do well to forget about it too. As for Yuna i don't think she's even tried a quad in her career and she certainly isn't going to try one now.

Ruffles78

On the Ice
Practicing a quad jump, and landing them cleanly and fully rotated are two different things...even in practice. Some of the above skaters may have the potential capability that has not been realized. Are they capable of practicing them? Sure! Anyone who can rotate triples can try for a quad.

I'm sure Gracie and Yuna would be the ones most capable of doing quad jumps if they worked their butts off, but the possibility of injury would increase dramatically. Plus, if they use up all that mental and athletic energy on a quad, other jumps and their skating skills may suffer. Gracie definitely needs to stick with what she has technically, and work on choreography and interpretation. Yuna already has the winning formula, so why would she risk it? I do not believe that any of the current top international skaters on the senior level will ever land a quad jump in competition. I would love to be proved wrong, though. It's totally possible that a young up and comer may land one some day.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki last was credited with a fully rotated quad when she was 14. She's attempted it several times since then but none were ratified.

Gracie has worked on 3a and quad in harness. She may at some point try those jumps without harness but I doubt she will ever attempt either jump in competition.

Yuna has chronic back problems so I don't see her even trying the quad in practice.

minze

Medalist
If evan won gold without a quad. Why should ladies worry about that for this olympics

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah right, the ladies don't even seem to be interested in a triple Axel, why bother with a quad?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In the event the rumour were really true I would have to guess Asada and Gold are the ones practicing it. I think it would be suicide for either, and for Mao she has already pushed her jump content to the limit where she cant even reasonably expect to skate clean anymore, and this would be pushing her even more to the point of a potential or probable disaester. Gold needs to focus on doing what she needs to do to continue to build her consistency, and make sure she makes the U.S Olympic team for now, and maybe then pull out the quad as she would have nothing to lose in Sochi most likely.

No way Ando would be capable of a quad now. She couldnt even do a ratified triple-triple since like 2008.

Kim doesnt need anymore than she has now to comfortably win if she continues skating cleanly so I doubt she would bother. Who knows, she might practice it so she can pull it out in case Asada does her insane jump layout cleanly and gets a score that even challenges her previous best scores, but I doubt it.

Kostner isnt a strong enough jumper to even be thinking of the quad. Wagner even less so.

Krislite

Medalist
To the top 3, there's too much downside risk (injury, reduced stamina/energy for LP) for such little payoff. For the skaters on the second tier it might be worth it as a strategy to land on the podium, and Gracie Gold might have enough incentive to go for it but given her consistency issues she's better off focusing on fixing that than a quad.

snsd

On the Ice
The only current lady I could see landing a quad would be Kanako Murakami with 4T

As her 3T + 3T combo is so big and easy for her.

Plus considering she has reportedly in 4cc practice landed 3T+3T with both arms above her head on both jumps! Unfortunately we are never going to see this in comp.

However she also gets slammed for under-rotations so I wouldn't recommend her doing it and work on errors on lutz instead.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am not sure that Miki's quad would have been ratified under COP, same with Irina's 3Z/3R at the 2000 GPF. There is greater scrutiny now.

There is not a woman out there whom I can see rotating a quad. Midori Ito didn't even do one, so that shows you how difficult it will be. If someone were to do it, I think it would be someone 14 or 15 who can rotate blazingly fast.

mary01

Final Flight
don't worry the japanese fed was interested and now you have the SP rule for one skater..

No this rule doesn't only apply for one skater, but for every skater in the world who is willing to take the risk!

cooper

Medalist
No this rule doesn't only apply for one skater, but for every skater in the world who is willing to take the risk!

every skater? yeah right..

i think the japanese fed made a big mistake of politicking.. they should have pushed 3 loop jump and made it mandatory instead.. and forget 3A...;)

Krislite

Medalist
Can somebody explain what this "SP rule" is and how that rule advantages one particular skater over others? (not just guessing but with solid evidences.)

The SP rule was passed after the Vancouver Olympics which allowed ladies to do the 3Axel as the solo Axel jump in the Short Program. Before that rule, ladies could only do a solo 2Axel in the SP, which meant that to do a 3Axel a skater had to do it either in combination (3Axel+2Toe) or a solo triple out of steps.

What this rule does is make it easier to fit a 3Axel into the SP and maximize that skater's BV, as it allows a skater to fit 3 triples in the SP 1) without a triple-triple AND 2) without having to do the 3Axel out of steps or in combination. For example, see Mao Asada's SP at the 2013 4CC. In other words, it is advantageous to a skater who cannot do a triple-triple but is capable of a 3Axel. Guess which lady is that?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Of course no rule is really designed for one skater but because Mao is the only lady in the world doing The triple axel and the rules change to say a skater can do a 2a or 3a as the axel jump and well as 3/3 and another triple that can be seen as only benefitting Mao! She's the only lady doing a 3a!! But all ladies could be trying 3a!