Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Well, I think she is just not capable anymore. It was either can't do them or protecting from injury. If she could do a triple she would, she was at Regionals for heaven's sake. If she's protecting from injury, which means she's not fully healed, then it's game over. I so want to see her at Nationals one more time though. Just to see her spin and present a program without worrying about her falling all over the place. She might not make it past Sectionals. Oh well, dang. I wish her well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She is two time US Champion. She didn't need triples for win Regionals. Senior B Competition will be another day, another story. Go Alissa!:biggrin:

Well I think we might sadly be running out of days though - she has to get the scores and get to nationals

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Alissa would have to make it through Sectionals first to be assigned to a Senior B. There is no point wasting a Senior B on a skater who isn't going to make it to Nationals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That makes sense. I am sad Alissa looks like it is almost over and now Kavuguti and Smirnov. Korpi isn't looking great and I wonder about Pang and Tong and I wonder who thinks Evan is most likely to go to the Olympics compared to Alissa???

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That makes sense. I am sad Alissa looks like it is almost over and now Kavuguti and Smirnov. Korpi isn't looking great and I wonder about Pang and Tong and I wonder who thinks Evan is most likely to go to the Olympics compared to Alissa???

One thing most of those skaters have in common is they have been skating for a long time and are not so young anymore. The human body can only hold up for so long.

Victura

On the Ice
I think it's a bit premature to be judging what Alissa is capable of based on one competition at Regionals. If you were in her shoes and knew that you could advance without doing triples after having had a major injury, would you take the risk? Especially when the last time she came back from injury, she threw in all the marbles at a local competition that didn't matter one bit and ended up with an even worse injury? She very easily won by a large margin this time doing just doubles, and I think it's a smart approach to take to ease onself back into competition mode after having been away for awhile.

We've heard from Jason that she's been landing triples with the exception of the loop. Maybe they're not consistent, but I think she's clearly capable of more. I'm sure she and her team know that she'll need the triples at Sectionals or a Senior B should she be assigned one and she'll put them into the program when she needs to.

What I'm more interested in knowing is - what are her programs? I believe she has a new short but kept the Gone with the Wind long program. I heard Icenetwork will be posting videos of regionals soon - anyone know when they will be up?

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I think Alissa would have to make it through Sectionals first to be assigned to a Senior B. There is no point wasting a Senior B on a skater who isn't going to make it to Nationals.

There is no guarantee that Rachael Flatt will make it to Nationals, and she has been assigned a Senior B.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
There is no guarantee that Rachael Flatt will make it to Nationals, and she has been assigned a Senior B.

Well, they are two completely different skaters. I'm not much a fan of Flatt, but I do respect that she will get the job done. I trust that she will be solid as a rock. Czisny just has never been reliable. So I understand Flatt getting a SeniorB.

lcd

Match Penalty
I hope to see both of these classy ladies make it to Nationals. Naturally, I hope they deliver deserving performances along the way to earn that opportunity, as I am CERTAIN that the other competitors in their fields at regionals and sections, though they may not be former National champions, have committed endless hours of hard work and have a dream that deserves fair judging as well.

Assuming they both get to Nationals, I expect to see the kind of joy on their faces that will be absent from most. They seem to be on a journey for themselves. That should free them in certain ways to "perform" hopefully and I am already anticipating having tears in my eyes at the reception that my hometown will give them when it is their turn to take their bows in front of us all.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, they do seem to be on a journey and sadly I don`t think it is to Sochi for them. But as long as they are happy or content. I know their are a lot of Alissa lovers but no triples whether wise to protect also means that she is either not ready or still injuried (worried about reinjuring must mean there is some weakness).it is a lot of pressure to simply say well today I need my triples let`s hope I can do them in competition under pressure. We can`t judge what they are really thinking but one wonders really what is going on their mind. I want to go to the olympics I know it is unlikely but I have to try. I am a former US Natioanl champion. I still have one more good skate in me. No matter what I will be proud of myself and at least i can say I tried. or I don`t really beleive I will go to scohi and hmm I am feeling that injury I can always pull out and have an excuse. Kind of like Evan we want to believe he has it in him but logic (which isn`t logical when it comes to skating) age, injuries, lack of competition and already a `lucky`win in Vancouver - you kind of wonder how genuine is the come back andyou see all the evidence - false hope of false starts etc.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yes, they do seem to be on a journey and sadly I don`t think it is to Sochi for them. But as long as they are happy or content. I know their are a lot of Alissa lovers but no triples whether wise to protect also means that she is either not ready or still injuried (worried about reinjuring must mean there is some weakness).it is a lot of pressure to simply say well today I need my triples let`s hope I can do them in competition under pressure. We can`t judge what they are really thinking but one wonders really what is going on their mind. I want to go to the olympics I know it is unlikely but I have to try. I am a former US Natioanl champion. I still have one more good skate in me. No matter what I will be proud of myself and at least i can say I tried. or I don`t really beleive I will go to scohi and hmm I am feeling that injury I can always pull out and have an excuse. Kind of like Evan we want to believe he has it in him but logic (which isn`t logical when it comes to skating) age, injuries, lack of competition and already a `lucky`win in Vancouver - you kind of wonder how genuine is the come back andyou see all the evidence - false hope of false starts etc.

I don't thionk it is really fair to compare Rachael or Alissa to Evan. In terms of prospects, yes, all of their prospects of making it to Sochi are bleak. However, I think that it's clear that 1) at least part of Evan's comeback motivation is/has been to stay in the news and keep his name out there as former OGM. Alissa and Rachael do not seem to have any such similar motivation. 2) Evan's 'comeback' has really been nothing at all. He has not competed in a single competition he said he would since his comeback started (or at least was announced), nearly 3 years ago now. Alissa and Rachael are both doing the competitions they say they will (at least so far) and moving forward at what pace they can.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael has also performed in benefits, and at a summer competition to show readiness (she has lutz and flip). That's how she got her Coupe de Nice assignment. Jason had hoped to get Coupe de Nice for Alissa, but apparently USFS didn't think Alissa was ready. Alissa's regionals performances showed that to be correct.

As has long been true, Reliable Rachel is living up to her nickname. That's such a lovely trait in a skater and in a person. I hope she's successful to whatever degree is possible.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would be shocked If the USFSA even considered sending her to a senior B after this. As chuckm said, skaters must demonstrate they are ready for international competition. It would be unfair to other skaters who are competing well at the moment but getting no assignments for alissa to be sent. It would be better to send one of the other girls from that section to help alissa advance to nationals. TBH I don't think I am discounting her any more than I should, She is doing well to be coming back from such a catastrophic injury and to be competing and I really wish the best for her, but I think the Olympics are unrealistic, Czisny did not land one clean triple here, Hicks, wagner , Gold and even nagasu are way ahead

Not be mean but did she even fully rotate the lutz? Gee, she is a beautiful skater but she makes katarina witt right now look like a jumping bean. And witt was the queen of garbage triples.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
As has long been true, Reliable Rachel is living up to her nickname. That's such a lovely trait in a skater and in a person. I hope she's successful to whatever degree is possible.

Well, reputations are earned, and I think Rachael has a spot on reputation, minus that worlds incident. I admired her for saying she was dealing with an injury, and then subsequently got hosed by USFS. Alissa the next year goes out clearly not right and falls on everything, but states she doesn't know why until the next day when she's diagnosed with a labral tear. Yarrite. I wish them both well, and I want to see them both at Nationals. I might not enjoy Flatt's skating, but I think she has an incredible amount of talent and integrity. Same with Czisny. Good luck girls.

Icey

Record Breaker
Is Alissa receiving any outside funding to help her with her training costs?